MCT Coconut oil? Advice needed

windmillgeorge

TDI
alh
I have used wvo for years. Mostly in vw transporters, and a Tdi golf, alh. Despite the messes, I do ok with it.

I scored 45 barrels of virgin MCT coconut oil, on the verge of expiry by best before date. All are in sealed barrels. Oil is perfectly clear and the cloud point is just below freezing. Nice stuff.

The oil appears much thinner than the used stuff I get even after filtering.

Does anyone have any concerns about lubrication of the injection pump? I might reduce the amount of heating of the oil in my fuel system to accommodate how thin the oil is, except for winter.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks George

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I have no experience with this type of oil, but being thicker than diesel, and thinner than regular WVO, it should be fine for the pump.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
No experience running it in a diesel, but cooking with it, melts at low temp and it will burn like butter. Also good on pancakes

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
If it's thicker than diesel you should cut it with gasoline until it has the same viscosity unless you're heating the tank or fuel before the injection pump

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Stuff is crazy solid under 75*f you will need a heater in tank!
I would not use it

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Coconut oil has a high amount of saturates and higher molecular weight. Super high cetane stuff. Definitely don't run it in cold temps. Agree to cut it, recommend ULSD and test proportions in samples in the fridge or freezer. Maybe if you know people at the airport you could score the jet fuel that is routinely disposed of when they come out of sumping aircraft and cannot be filled-back for flight use. Beware, though that Jet fuel doesn't have the same limits on sulphur (3,000 ppm vs <10 for ULSD) and the sumped stuff can have lots of water (which is why they check it by sumping), but usually fine from high turnover commercial aircraft, just like high volume stations will have the freshest fuel and least concerns with water.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Hey if you run VWO regularly, I'll say this "fresh" coconut oil will be super nice to run by comparison.

I'm a food scientist by trade, so MCT (medium chain triglycerides) is indeed perfect to run with some pre-heating to thin it out. On the other hand, I have zero experience outside of the pure diesel realm. Do your checks for FFA (pH) and you should be good.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
And if nothing else it is a great replacement for butter on grilled corn on the cob

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
You didn't mention what kind of system you are using to run on wvo. If it is a heated 2 tank system like Greasecar or Frybrid you can burn it just like any other vegetable oil. I have had no issues when I've gotten batches of coconut oil and treat it the same as any other wvo oil I have gotten.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Some info on uniqueness of ..

MCT oil differs from coconut oil in that it won’t solidify when it’s refrigerated or if the temperature drops. MCT oil will stay in its liquid state even if refrigerated. In some cases, MCT oil may turn pure white and solidify. However, this is only the case with temperatures 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below. There is a good chance that if the MCT oil does solidify in the refrigerator, the oil used isn’t as pure as possible.

The shelf life will vary based on how well you store and keep your MCT oil. For instance, if you keep it on the counter where there is direct sunlight, it might go bad within six months to a year. On the other hand, if your oil remains refrigerated or in a cool, dry, and dark environment, it might help it stay fresh up to 2 yrs or longer.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Heck, you could switch to a keto diet and live off that for the next 5 years.