Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's been going on for a while. I wonder how it'll do with the mandated bio in some states. :)

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Did it break down? Every event I've heard of Mazda being at it has.

Rolex 24 they had some issues (mostly with their blend of biodiesel I was told when I talked to some Mazda people there) but if you have been following lately, they have been been doing much better. Growing pains for new tech. Good for them.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Looks like autoenginuity offers a Mazda add-on also. I have that software with the Ford bundle and it is good but not as good as vcds.
This looks good except it runs thru 2012 models (doesn't help those of us waiting on the 2014 m6).

A little research tells me that Mazda uses vcm2 (similar to ford but not quite the same) interface and that there are clones out there. I didn't find any though and the software looks to be a yearly subscription based thing.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Last time I heard from my Mazda guy, it was late August? But, they have delayed before, seems to be the trend. Just hope it is right and with manual when it comes. I might just bite. After Brussels Belgium sorts the car out, of course...

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Last time I heard from my Mazda guy, it was late August? But, they have delayed before, seems to be the trend. Just hope it is right and with manual when it comes. I might just bite. After Brussels Belgium sorts the car out, of course...
What do you mean Brussels? Anyone else heard any thing about when to expect the Mazda diesel car in the US?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I've driven the Mazda CX-5 compact SUV. Very impressed. Has a strong rating by Motor Trend as does the Mazda6, which has the best rating of a family-size sedan (over Passat & Accord, who held previous highest ratings). But I need a wagon, and the Mazda6 wagon with diesel has excellent ratings in Europe. This would be a strong competitor to the now non-existent Passat wagon. (Actually, the MKVI VW Sportwagon is as long as the previous European Passat.) The VW Sportwagon has nice room inside but Mazda6 is roomier. Having measured both the CX5 and Mazda6 I find the ground clearance of each at front and rear to be almost identical. This is useful as I trailer a lightweight, solid-wall camping trailer (Aliner). I'm having continued issues with my Jetta's turbocharger; now stuck in Montana, 2300 miles from home, with second turbo in 14 months! Why does VW only install rebuilt turbos? A Mazda sounds good at the moment, though I love driving the Jetta. Mazda6 diesel in sedan is due in dealerships this late-Oct or Nov 2013. In talking with dealers they feel the delay is due to "educating" their sales teams on how to talk diesel. I would guess they also have to train their service personnel & stock parts for diesels. If the Mazda6 wagon were not available I'd definitely buy a diesel CX5 when I get back home to Florida.
Any news about when the 6 or CX5 diesel is due? Very interesting post. You imply that the CX5 is a true crossover, not a small SUV, based on a car frame, not a truck. This distinction seems to be clouded these days but safety-wise it is huge to me. Does Mazda have good crash tests? How is your turbo hassle?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I just called my Mazda dealer. He says his word from Mazda is diesel will not be here for at least a year. Dejavu all over again. While they're at it, how about a nice diesel jet pack.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Well, that is not a good development for us as a diesel community. Guess, my source was misinformed. Won't be the first time a salesman has not been told the truth about future models.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, that is not a good development for us as a diesel community. Guess, my source was misinformed. Won't be the first time a salesman has not been told the truth about future models.

No, what I gather from this is that there is no good information out to the dealers yet. Obviously not looking good for sooner, just doesn't rule out later. Perhaps the breakdowns they are having on the tracks are feeding back delay to their production plans. But pure speculation at this time.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I suspect Mazda is selling everything they can make right now anyway, so that may be a factor also.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea me and my 2006 have no where to go. The 2014 EA288? Only if the MQB has better crash tests and no turbo pops, and maybe awd. I'm good for 2 years easy with what I got now with a shot of Harvieux at 150k. Mazda, more zoom. New Mazda theme song: Oy Oy Vey.

Last edited:

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Looks iffy

> .. if you would buy one, let me know here.

Doubtful. I still have an out-of-service std.tran. '89 2.4L turbo Voyager parked on the property. I've been waiting over 20 years for something comparable to hit the US market: 32 gas mpg or better, 0-60 under 10 sec, seats 6 or more. Nothing has.

Looking at the M5 specs on the UK site, and adjusting for Imperial gallon, the economy looks great (36-50 US mpg), but the performance is too low (0-62 in 13.7 sec). That means that a lot of time would be spent rowing the stick, and there's no option for an auto trans.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Nothing a chiptune can't fix. And, Mazda shifters tend to be nothing short of excellent.

And the US-spec gassers can do it in under 10, apparently, although not 32 mpg hwy on the current cycle. But, your turbo Voyager's adjusted fuel economy is 16/23 (on premium), versus 21/28 for a Mazda5 gasser manual, or 22/28 for a gasser automatic, and those are on regular.

And there's always the Ford C-Max Hybrid, at 47/47 (even if it doesn't get that, it's getting better than 32 highway), with a Toyota-like faux CVT, and faster than the Mazda5. But, it's also not as big inside, both because the Mazda5's Ford sibling is the Grand C-Max (not the C-Max, which is more like a Golf Plus-like vehicle), and the US-spec C-Maxes have batteries taking up cargo space.

Plus there's always the Prius V, too, although it's rated at 44/40, and it has the significant downside that it's a Prius. And it's not quite under 10 seconds to 60.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Lighter and Better

Maybe you should buy a car with a complete separate frame. Or only with steel wheels. Or with springs in the seats. Or an iron block and head. And only rear drive with a solid rear axle.

Lighter body in white using high strength steel and other materials means that other components can be lighter duty because there is less weight for them to carry around. The cars we drive were considered too light duty to be durable, especially the engine, when they were introduced. I have no idea how long the Mazda will last, but lighter weight components shouldn't be a worry. I'd be more concerned about whether they've improved their rust prevention.
The new Mazda6 Skyactive is 200 pounds lighter than my 2013 MZR, but the new, lighter car did better in the crash tests. Enuf said. PS: ever see how well the Mazda 2 takes a hit? pretty good...:)

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Only thing to watch out for on the 5 was oil consumption... The PCV system get clogged and all the sudden it sounds like a woodpecker is in your motor. Removing the intake sucks to get the faulty crank case breather/PCV system replaced. Oh and Mazdas rust like crazy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not mine, either, but I'm afraid to even get it wet. And I doubt yours has seen snow or road salt. Older Miatas look pretty bad around here. But in fairness, B4s rust pretty easily, too. And nothing disappears when exposed to road salt like an A3 Jetta.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Nobody on the west coast is allowed to talk about the rust resistance of cars unless they've lived in an area that uses salt. ;)

FFS, even going further north, I've seen 70s Toyota pickups that were in beater condition, but not rusty, driving around, when I was in Portland, OR. Here in Ohio, a non-rusty 70s Toyota pickup is more exclusive than a Bugatti Veyron.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
If the environmentalists REALLY cared about the environment, they'd outlaw using salt on roads. Salt belongs in the ocean - not on the roads and our vehicles.

Oh, btw, I was responding to DasTeknoViking's blanket statement regarding Mazdas and rust. That statement included Mazdas that AREN'T in salt-using states.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
DTV is correct, however. Mazdas do rust easily when they live where road salt is used. So do Subarus. And I totally agree on road salt use, but it's not up to environmentalists. Folks around here feel entitled to always be able to see bare pavement. When my street looks like the photo below everyone gets up an arms and complains they can't get to work.

I have no trouble driving in that, but you can't be in a hurry and traffic is not fun as you never know if the drivers a couple feet from you have the equipment and/or skills to not run into you, SUV or no.

But to get back OT, a good rust warranty would be important to me when buying any new diesel, as I'd be in it for the long haul.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Here's the answer: a good thick (1/2" minimum) coating of Plastidip over all surfaces (except glass) that are exposed to the elements and this includes inside doors, engine bays, fenders, etc. :D

Last edited: