Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Intercooling between the turbos?

I'd guess it's actually a plenum to smooth out pulses and such.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Intercooling between the turbos?

I'd guess it's actually a plenum to smooth out pulses and such.

It IS a liquid to air intercooler. AN lines underneath for the coolant. You don't want super heated charged air feeding directly into the intake of the other turbo.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Update on the CX-5 oil-rise issue:
The Mazda CX-5 oil rise fix has arrived in the UK.
The same fix that begun in Japan which is being rolled out in Australia is now being applied to UK vehicles. The fix consists of an ECU software update to reduce overfuelling under acceleration conditions apparently (not DPF regen cycle). It also includes the revised dipstick with an X mark raised by 11mm.
The latter is not to be considered a fix. Make sure you monitor your rate of oil rise as this s the important observation here. If it isn't significantly reduced (by 60% in my case) then the car still will not make it to the specified oil service interval and the car cannot be deemed 'fit for purpose'. Only time and monitoring will tell.
The software update cannot be done by UK dealer technicians but has to be done by MazdaUK own technicians.
I hope this provides some alleviation of any concerns my fellow islanders may have regarding the issue. It's a sign at least that Mazda accept the issue as an issue in Europe as well as other continents and that they are working to solve it.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817637-Engine-Oil-Rise

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Sometimes it is good to be the last market to get something. Then it is well sorted BEFORE it arrives here. Waiting is not so much fun, but, let the teething problems be on someone else? Let's hope this is a good one when it gets here.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
WTH? I didn't know it is COMMON for the engine oil level to rise in diesel engines.

There is a lot more on this topic in this thread starting with post #851. Happy reading!

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Mazda 6 Skyactiv Diesel

An Autoblog writer was in Italty and got to drive a Mazda 6 diesel wagon with a 6 spd manual around for awhile.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/21/2014-mazda6-skyactiv-d-wagon/

Another diesel wagon lover on another forum started an online petition to pester Mazda about bring the car here - especially since not even the 6 wagon is coming here, much less a diesel, maunal 6 spd version.

https://www.change.org/petitions/mazda-usa-bring-the-mazda6-sky-d-wagon-to-the-us-with-a-manual

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Come guys, the pretty wagon is to the eyes of American customers like a chain of frankfurters in a butcher shop to the eyes of a stray dog:

FAT CHANCE

Last edited:

blueste

TDI
Shopping '13 Passat
Mazda 6 diesel on the horizon

I've been considering a Passat TDI recently. I test drove the SE manual and loved the smoothness of the powertrain! However, I'm worried the slow 0-60 would be a little too boring for me. Plus, I would like to option out the SE w/ manual and it can't be done. I wish VW would offer the SEL with manual. Or at least manual with upgraded sound system and sunroof like on the Jetta TDI. I think they call it Premium.

I stumbled across the 2014 Mazda 6 diesel which is due sometime summer in the U.S (gas 4 cyl is out now). It looks pretty exciting and I can't wait to see it and drive it when it arrives. Appears to be a 2.2l with 170ish hp and 310 lb/ft. torque.

Blue

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Should be interesting to see the trim level offered with the sky-d. I'd be looking for a manual.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Hmmmm:

The engine might be well designed, but in Australia and Europe it has been compromized by faults in exhaust treatment solution, which ironically haunts back the engine. The black exhaust smoke is caught by the particulate filter. This filter is purged by heating to high temperature every 200 km. The heating is achieved through an under-engineered solution: send extra diesel fuel through cylinders into exhaust. This is trouble waiting to happen. In case of Mazda SkyActive diesel an undisclosed, but significant number of owners observe dilution of engine oil with diesel fuel. The oil dipstick had a max mark corresponding to 7% fuel content in engine oil. As a solution Mazda is now replacing the dipstick with a new one, having a max mark 11 mm higher and allowing for 14% diesel fuel content in engine oil before the overfilling reaches the max mark. This allowed Mazda to stop sponsoring emergency oil changes at 4000 km triggered by oil level reaching the original low max mark. Now the rising oil level reaches the NEW high max mark only at 10,000 km. Only a fraction of vehicles have the rising oil "feature", others maintain the oil level stable. The phenomenon has no correlation to driving style (stop&go versus highway) or climate (Norway vs Spain). Mazda says this oil level rise is normal, meaning that they do not promise to fix this on vehicles that demonstrate this "feature". They also claim that diesels with particulate filters of other manufacturers have the rise of oil level as well. Now there is a psychosis among the owners of Mazda Skyactive diesels. They measure the engine oil level every 1000 km with a micrometer and compare its behavior with each other on a number of Internet groups.
That's a user comment from here:
http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2013-02/how-mazda-reinvented-diesel-engine

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
Poor article. They obviously do not remember any Isuzu diesels from the 1980s. A Mazda diesel engine was offered in the Ford Ranger and Ford Tempo as well. Can't remember if it came on any Mazda models.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I read the link and see no indication this was based on the Mazda 6 diesel. It's hard to talk about how great a car is when it is not available today.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Go drive one! That's what I did to see if it would garner further consideration. While they did not have a stick, still got the idea of how the car handled and the ergonomics of the interior.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Also, having sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show, I'd say that it's no VW interior.

It's trying, really really hard (especially with the ergonomics and styling), but it still isn't quite a VW interior re: how switchgear feels and such.

That's not to say that it's bad - it's really good - but VW interiors have been excellent, not just really good.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
better than...

Also, having sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show, I'd say that it's no VW interior.

It's trying, really really hard (especially with the ergonomics and styling), but it still isn't quite a VW interior re: how switchgear feels and such.

That's not to say that it's bad - it's really good - but VW interiors have been excellent, not just really good.
Current Jetta is not excellent or even really good.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-best...cognizes-mazda6--toyota-avalon-234943497.html

Mazda6 diesel should be darn good. It just made Wards 10 best interiors list. It handles quite nicely. Visually it's a winner for a midsize sedan. And it will be diesel!

VW used to be best in class for it's interiors.
still is....go sit in a new Mazda 6 GT loaded. just did on way home at Yorkdale Mazda, Toronto. Pretty nice. NO Golf interior though. But best Japanese interior in a while. The seats don't compare to VW/Volvo yet though. Never drove one. SM said they got to drive the new diesels around (automatic) and said they were blown away. looking forward. BUT no stick and no deal. Don't think I would consider one till they have some experience selling marketing and fixing diesels. Still crooning for next gen Golf.....GTD anyone? Please VW.....Please.....

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
still is....go sit in a new Mazda 6 GT loaded. just did on way home at Yorkdale Mazda, Toronto. Pretty nice. NO Golf interior though. But best Japanese interior in a while. The seats don't compare to VW/Volvo yet though. Never drove one. SM said they got to drive the new diesels around (automatic) and said they were blown away. looking forward. BUT no stick and no deal. Don't think I would consider one till they have some experience selling marketing and fixing diesels. Still crooning for next gen Golf.....GTD anyone? Please VW.....Please.....
The interior of the new 6 isn't bad...it's just odd. There is a hugh square hole in the middle of the dash that the radio sits recessed into. It looks like there should be a sliding cover over that hole when the radio is not in use. And the tuning and volume knobs are against the wall of this hole so you have to reach into the hole and feel around for the knobs. Why couldn't they just install it flush?

If then non-nav unit has a small screen then it will look really odd compared to the upgraded unit with large "hole filling screen"

And it still looks like a double din radio unit. Don't most makers intregrate the radio into the dash? Actually this is a plus if you plan on replacing the unit with a better unit.