Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I appears that the technology Mazda is developing overlaps with direct injection gas, which could be a good thing.

booty

Veteran Member
Good Numbers

" the Sky-D with manual transmission could be rated as high as 57 mpg"
If these numbers are correct the mileage is way better than anything VW is currently selling in North America. I don't want to wait til 2013. Make mine a Mazda 6 Sky-D.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
The diesel, meanwhile is unusual in that it revs to 5200rpm rather than the 4500rpm of most rivals, thanks to an increased spray of fuel delivered at higher pressure, and lighter moving parts. It has a maximum 310lb ft of torque from 2000rpm, although there's smooth acceleration from around 1500rpm.

Mazda's iStop stop-start system, regenerative braking and new electronc power steering will also be fitted as standard.
If VW doesn't fix the HPFP issues when that comes out, I'm trading my JSW in.

The stop-start and regenerative braking will allow it to take away a large part of the Prius advantage over diesel vehicles.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Lol, to think that early reports suggested that these engines would not have turbochargers... now we learn there's going to be two in each engine. 14:1 compression, 2.2L displacement, as much 57 MPG? This engine engineer says good luck.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Compression ratio is not the be-all-and-end-all determinant of fuel efficiency, but the highly-hyped and touted (in Europe) Toyota 2.2 D-CAT with its 15.8:1 CR got **** for fuel economy in any car it was installed in compared to its class competitors.

Mazda also has the dubious distinction of being some of the porkiest cars in curb weight, again compared in relation to competitors in the same class.

So yeah, I would put money down that it will get nowhere near 57 MPUSG either in official EPA mileage or in real-world driving.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I hope this motor makes it to our shores. Sounds like Mazda may have the silver bullet with the low NOX and no aftertreatment needed? Just hope those sequential turbo's and the two stage variable timing don't add to much to the bottom line.

I was excited for Honda to bring their diesel but that turned out to be vaporware with high diesel prices, stringent emission standards and the tanked economy. I guess its just as well since Honda was only going to offer it in the Acura TSX which is the same size as the Accord in Europe.

It makes me laugh that our Accord is "Supersized" for our larger "Corn Fed" waistlines.

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I hope this motor makes it to our shores. Sounds like Mazda may have the silver bullet with the low NOX and no aftertreatment needed? Just hope those sequential turbo's and the two stage variable timing don't add to much to the bottom line.

I was excited for Honda to bring their diesel but that turned out to be vaporware with high diesel prices, stringent emission standards and the tanked economy. I guess its just as well since Honda was only going to offer it in the Acura TSX which is the same size as the Accord in Europe.

It makes me laugh that our Accord is "Supersized" for our larger "Corn Fed" waistlines.
The TSX isn't just the same size as the Euro Accord, it IS the Euro Accord. I hear 'ya on the "supersized" Accord for N/A though, the last "real" Accord we got was the 2002 model.

This Mazda diesel looks nice, I'll take mine in a Mazda 3 five door please. The gasser looks pretty good too.

C&D article on the new Mazda engines. Some poor reporting I suspect, though. "Exhaust manifold integrated into the block"(?) I suspect they mean head... http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q3/mazda_sky-g_and_sky-d_engines-car_news

I agree with Meister on the 57mpg. Not gonna happen with US gallons and testing methods. Maybe on UK gallons & testing methods given the Polo bluetec is rated at ~70mpg IIRC.

Last edited:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Mazda also has the dubious distinction of being some of the porkiest cars in curb weight, again compared in relation to competitors in the same class.
Mazda3 is about 200 lbs heavier than a Civic or Corolla, equal in weight to a Sentra and nearly 300 lb lighter than a Jetta despite being almost identical in length, width and height. VW is the pork queen in this comparo of the compact class.

Mazda6 is 200 lbs lighter than a Malibu, 100 lbs lighter than a Passat and lighter than an Accord or Camry, though it's within 50 lbs.

Bigger (and heavier) is due to consumers preference for larger vehicles and due to ever increasing safety requirements, Mazda has not earned a dubious distinction, perhaps with the Sky-D and Sky-G engines Mazda will distinguish itself.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Mazda is on record saying they're going to be doing a lot of work in making their vehicles lighter. So I wouldn't count on pork from them.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I agree with Meister on the 57mpg. Not gonna happen with US gallons and testing methods. Maybe on UK gallons & testing methods given the Polo bluetec is rated at ~70mpg IIRC.[/QUOTE said:
This is just plain old bad reporting. 43 US MPG = 51.6 Imp. MPG. Plus add in the differences in testing methods.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Hmm... Mazda's current diesels are not that good. Here's a link to a comparison review of sporty diesel compacts. (Golf GTD, BMW 120d, Seat León FR, Audi A3 2.0 TDI, Mazda3 2.2 MZR-CD Sports-Line)
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...a3-bmw-1er-mazda-3-und-seat-leon-1381025.html

If you dig through the tables a bit, the Mazda has a bit worse acceleration than the GTD while being less fuel efficient. (7.4 L/100km GTD, 8 L/100km for the Mazda, Auto Motor und Sport seems to hire lead footed testers only)

TDIMeister, the Mazda is about 1490kg, while the Golf is 1443. So it's only a bit porkier. The new Opel Astra is the real pork in it's class, it's around 1600kg.
What's really interesting is how the Mazda is 1 ft longer than the Golf while offering less interior space.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
...Sounds like Mazda may have the silver bullet with the low NOX and no aftertreatment needed?...
This was what also what caught my attention.

I know that EPA was working on what they termed "Clean Diesel Combustion" (CDC) technology in which they were able to meet 2010 HD NOx emissions (0.2 g/bhp-hr) without NOx after-treatment using massive EGR and high turbocharger pressure ratios with twin sequential turbos ( http://www.epa.gov/otaq/technology/420f04023.pdf ). Doesn't look like this has the "hydraulically intensified fuel system" though, just the 2000 bar CR system.

Wonder if this is a modified commercial application of that technology?

booty

Veteran Member
How about 47mpg?

I agree that 57 mpg is most likely dreaming but something in the real world highway range of 43-48 would be nice. I also suspect that Mazda will have a price advantage over VW as current TDI's are not a bargain vehicle.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Which will be a while, if ever. If they're 'hinting' at a specific time, then nothing is certain, and the entire project of bringing mazda diesels to the USofA might be killed. Just don't hold your breath.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Which will be a while, if ever. If they're 'hinting' at a specific time, then nothing is certain, and the entire project of bringing mazda diesels to the USofA might be killed. Just don't hold your breath.
Mazda's North American PR guy told me back in June the US rollout of their diesel would be in 18 months. They haven't decided which platform will get the Sky-D yet. I hope they don't bail on the program (310lb-ft torque sounds very attractive)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What I've been reading today is that the Sky-D meets Euro 6 and US EPA Tier 2 bin 5 without NOx aftertreatment in the exhaust. If so, that is some accomplishment. Perhaps they really mean "no urea" - if so, that's equal to what VW is doing. Other article said 2012 introduction in North America.

But the Sky-G (gasoline direct injection) looks impressive, too. That also uses 14:1 compression (and direct injection and valve timing trickery to make it work). Requires high octane fuel, but the reported fuel consumption is not all that different from the diesel. Mazda is also hinting at the production future of HCCI, and I'd say it would have to be within the production lifetime of this engine, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about the provisions being made for it.

I'm in favor of "whatever works", so if Mazda puts either one into a vehicle that I like ... it'll be on the short list for the next car that I buy.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
When they appear in the showrooms, I'm going to check one out.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think Mazda has an advantage on 3 counts- reliability, dealer service, and warranty. The Zoom Zoom factor can't be discounted either. Our 04 M6 Wagon has better out of the box suspension, steering, and handling than our 05 PW. IMO, Mazda or Subaru have the most to gain by introducing competition to the mid range market.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Warranty on mazda's looks like the same as VW. 3/5 year.

I won't bother getting into German engineering when it comes to reliability though :)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Warranty on mazda's looks like the same as VW. 3/5 year.

I won't bother getting into German engineering when it comes to reliability though :)
Regarding warranty, I meant the willingness to honor commitment.

Isophorone

Veteran Member
It would be nice to put the diesel in the Mazda 5 as well. From what I've read, Mazda is bumping up the power on the gas version of the 5.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
How many of you believe Mazda diesel engine will absolutely have no problem with the current US diesel?

How many of you believe VW will still have problem with the future US diesel assuming quality will improve industry wide by 2011-2012.

How many of you believe the HFPF is even a problem at this stage? If it's really a problem, why haven't my HFPF explode?

I am sure the new Mazda diesel engine will not run well if you mis-fuel with gasoline.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I am sure the new Mazda diesel engine will not run well if you mis-fuel with gasoline.
Mazda just needs to setup the pump so that if it explodes, it doesn't take out the entire downstream system with it, just like BMW's.