Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
The 2.2 liter SkyActiv Diesel has been emissions certified by CARB for the Mazda6 - https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2020/mazda_pc_0160461_2d2_l3-160.pdf
If they drop that engine into the highest trim of the M6 (which they will), it will end up being the same dud as the CX-5. Furthermore, the certificate states the engine was approved with a semi-automatic tranny, which means no manual will be available. If Mazda cannot sell 1000 SUVs in this huge market in six months, how do they expect to sell any meaningful number of passenger cars in this era of SUVs? VW screwed up royally with the Dieselgate, but they at least had the wisdom to put their diesel into a low-priced vehicle anyone could afford, and make them available with both automatic and a 6-speed manual to attract maximum number of buyers possible. With this strategy, VW was able to sell more than 500,000 cars in the span of 6 years or so. Mazda, with their strategy, cannot sell 1,000. Where is the problem?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
If they drop that engine into the highest trim of the M6 (which they will), it will end up being the same dud as the CX-5. Furthermore, the certificate states the engine was approved with a semi-automatic tranny, which means no manual will be available. If Mazda cannot sell 1000 SUVs in this huge market in six months, how do they expect to sell any meaningful number of passenger cars in this era of SUVs? VW screwed up royally with the Dieselgate, but they at least had the wisdom to put their diesel into a low-priced vehicle anyone could afford, and make them available with both automatic and a 6-speed manual to attract maximum number of buyers possible. With this strategy, VW was able to sell more than 500,000 cars in the span of 6 years or so. Mazda, with their strategy, cannot sell 1,000. Where is the problem?
RUG is now $2.11 here

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.

And the EPA highway on the TDI was originally 40 before the modifications.
I believe the pricing of the Mazda CX-5 diesel in your lineup is wrong. To the best of my knowledge, the MSRP started at almost 42k, and it went up from there, although not by much as the diesel is the top trim, and all conceivable options are already there.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)

And the EPA highway on the TDI was originally 40 before the modifications.
All but two of my diesel vehicles (I've had seven) surpassed in average overall mpg's the EPA's highway figure, so to me the EPA ratings grossly misrepresent the actual mileage. EPA readings for gasoline cars equally misrepresent actual mileage but are lower than the stated numbers in my experience.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
All but two of my diesel vehicles (I've had seven) surpassed in average overall mpg's the EPA's highway figure, so to me the EPA ratings grossly misrepresent the actual mileage. EPA readings for gasoline cars equally misrepresent actual mileage but are lower than the stated numbers in my experience.
When it comes to diesels, I have the same experience - the EPA ratings are grossly underestimating the true fuel economy one can achieve with the diesel. For example, my last diesel, the 2010 Jetta 6M returned a lifetime average of about 46 MPG (calculated) in 50/50 city/hwy driving mix. In pure city driving, it never dropped below 40, and on the highway, I could get 55 without even trying. Even with the A/C at full blast, windows down for increased drag and doing 70, I could not bring it below 50, which only confirms what we all already know - the EPA figures (30 city, 41 HWY and 34 combo for this vehicle) are pure crap.

I have a different experience than you do with my first-ever gasser, the 4Runner. The EPA ratings for that vehicle are 17 city, 20 hwy, and 18 combo. In the same 50/50 driving mix, I am getting an average of about 22. That is far above the EPA figures, which suggests I may be a very light-footed driver, but I still accelerate and drive in the city traffic at the same speed as everyone else.

I believe that, in case of the CX-5 diesel, three major factors contributed to the lackluster sales figures of that model: 1. the unreasonable price ($42k), 2. the unimpressive EPA fuel economy figures, which on paper look almost identical to those of the gasser, and 3. the fact that the turbo gasser is much more powerful and torquier, yet costs $4k less than the diesel. When the M6 becomes available, I suspect that it will fail just as miserably as the CX-5, for the exact same reasons.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Before the EPA "improved" FE measurements, every car I owned, gas or diesel, got between EPA city and highway measurements. That includes cars like the V6 Audi A4 and a supercharged Toyota Previa. Even IBW has averaged about 48 (with mods that should help FE), in the last 200K miles.

Not that EPA numbers are little lower they seem easier to beat. But there are a lot of people here with Fixed common rail TDIs who are at the low end of the EPA FE range.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Before the EPA "improved" FE measurements, every car I owned, gas or diesel, got between EPA city and highway measurements. That includes cars like the V6 Audi A4 and a supercharged Toyota Previa. Even IBW has averaged about 48 (with mods that should help FE), in the last 200K miles.
Not that EPA numbers are little lower they seem easier to beat. But there are a lot of people here with Fixed common rail TDIs who are at the low end of the EPA FE range.
My pet theory, backed up by having a hybrid originally meant for Europe, is that cars made for the North American market are at an advantage since their shift points are designed more for the EPA than the European cycle. I also don't believe all manual transmission cars have lower fuel economy than new automatics. I don't believe the earth is flat, though ha ha.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
That Mazda POS is $42,000 USA dollars? Bargain hunters will snap those up. LOL.
Yes, it is. And, bargain hunters have been snapping them up for seven months now, but despite their best efforts, can't seem to find the appetite to gobble up those 1,000 (one thousand and 0/100) units, which Mazda set out as their total sales goal for this model. Just for comparison, in 2019, Mazda sold 155,000 of the gas-powered versions of the same vehicle.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From cars.com, I see 2 CX5 diesels in all of the US.