Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I've started experimenting with Fluid Film on my vehicles. Not a one time solution, but I'm finding I ought to be messing with brakes, or doing tire rotations, more often than I have been, so it really should not be a problem to squirt some FF every time I'm in there.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Oh, this is bad news for Brussels Belgium. Jack wanted one of these in the worst way. I think it is probably bad news for the rest of us as a diesel community as well. Hopefully, they get it figured out quickly. Although that does not seem to be happening. Delay after delay, and then the final..."not appropriate for the U.S. market". Can see it coming a mile away.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I wonder how much of their trumpeting that they didn't need this or that to pass the emmissions tests has come back to bite them in the butt? Still seems a little hard to believe that Diamler, VW, and Audi together couldn't come up with a sytem that passed emmissions with the limited controls that Mazda was touting.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Isn't Mazda trying to meet standards without using Urea or a DPF (or a different type of DPF)? Perhaps it's not so easy. The oil contamination issues they were facing in other markets may be a factor, too.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
They definitely still use a DPF, but they're doing almost all of their NOx reduction via their very low compression combustion model, and then using EGR for the rest, instead of using a LNT like the CBEA/CJAA, or SCR like the CATA/CNRB and CKRA.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Isn't Mazda trying to meet standards without using Urea or a DPF (or a different type of DPF)? Perhaps it's not so easy. The oil contamination issues they were facing in other markets may be a factor, too.
No Urea but it does use a DPF filter and regens so, in that respect, similar to current Jetta/ Golf. The lower compression engine is what Mazda claims allows them to avoid using urea (though, VW avoids it on their lighter vehicles currently sold here).

I posted this about a week ago and I have to wonder also if the delay is related to the oil issues (rising oil levels) in other markets:

I was really looking forward to the Mazda Diesel but all the issues they have had would scare me away. Mazda - and even the Mazda faithful on the forums- are claiming it's perfectly normal for current Diesels (including VW TDI's) to have dramatically increasing oil levels. I'm relatively new to my TDI but thus far (approaching 20k), I have not experienced any issue with increasing oil levels in the crankcase at all. I'm now thinking this issue might be the cause of the Mazda Diesel release delay here (and reason to wait and see if that engine issue has actually been corrected and not just band-aided with a third "X" mark on the dipstick showing where this increased oil is supposedly still at a safe level). Our TDI oil changes are at 10,000 miles. Apparently Mazda is suggesting 1200 miles! and checks on oil level every 600 miles. That sounds like something is not right to me with that engine.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6-...-problems.html

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At almost 60K miles on my 2010 JSW, I've not seen any oil increase and very little to no oil burning between changes. I know mine is still just a babe in the woods compared to others on here, but the Mazda faithful (as you stated) don't have a clue about diesels.

Edit to add:
I've burned a few tanks of B20 and am mostly running B5 now. I check oil about every other fill up.

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
DTV is correct, however. Mazdas do rust easily when they live where road salt is used. So do Subarus. And I totally agree on road salt use, but it's not up to environmentalists. Folks around here feel entitled to always be able to see bare pavement. When my street looks like the photo below everyone gets up an arms and complains they can't get to work.

I have no trouble driving in that, but you can't be in a hurry and traffic is not fun as you never know if the drivers a couple feet from you have the equipment and/or skills to not run into you, SUV or no.

But to get back OT, a good rust warranty would be important to me when buying any new diesel, as I'd be in it for the long haul.
I don't mind driving in that, although I usually prefer more--that stuff in the pic is deceptively slicker than you'd think, compared to 4" plus of fluff.

I'm usually glad when people stay off the roads, and often do likewise. Bad enough when my commute changes from 50+ minutes to 2x that due to snow--worse when traffic bunches up and you are in a line of traffic the whole way...

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
At almost 60K miles on my 2010 JSW, I've not seen any oil increase and very little to no oil burning between changes. I know mine is still just a babe in the woods compared to others on here, but the Mazda faithful (as you stated) don't have a clue about diesels.
My dad has had his 2013 TDI Prem / DSG and about 20,000 miles. So far, hasn't burned much or "gained" any at both of the dealership maintenances. I have yet to take mine in (still about 1300 miles to go) but I have checked my level and it's maybe just a TINY bit lower than the stock level. That much oil dilution is crazy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Folks on Mazda forums saying rising oil levels is normal is simply BS. Any rising level means oil contamination, and that's not good. All of my TDIs (except for the newest one, so far) have consumed some amount of oil between changes. That's expected, especially on higher mileage engines. But a rising oil level is a big red flag to me.

I am still intrigued by the 6, in no small part because I like the car, as opposed to the engine. But if I wanted a Mazda right now I'd probably get a 2.0L 3 with a manual, mostly for the hatch and the better FE. It was never likely that the diesel would come here with a manual, anyway.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
The oil rising issue may have very well been due to very short trips on a regular basis in the cases in which it occured. Seems like I recall reading that as one of the causes in the Mazda instance. With our TDI's, we know very short trips alone on a regular basis is not a great idea, though I don't know if it would cause rising oil levels or not (it could prevent regular/ necessary regens).

bhtooefr

TDI
None
But people who took longer trips were also seeing rising oil levels.

I suspect they're either massively overfueling during regen, need to have a narrower spray pattern for how much pilot injection they're doing, or both.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen

I suspect they're either massively overfueling during regen, need to have a narrower spray pattern for how much pilot injection they're doing, or both.
Oh, didn't know that. Beyond the silly dipstick change, it was also reported that Mazda made a software update/ change. Perhaps that change would address your point. In any case, let's hope Mazda get's it right before a U.S. release as bad press over a problem would probably impact all diesel's and not just Mazda's.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

Or using more than B5? After all, it can't just be VW who is having rising oil levels when using higher percentages of Biodiesel.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I don't recall reading of any bio being used in those cases, just straight D2.

Oh, also, lower cetane fuels would be a bigger problem with oil dilution with their combustion model. Not sure what Australia's spec is for cetane, where the worst of the problems are. We've got absolutely awful cetane though.

Edit: Looks like they allow up to B5 in their regular diesel. 46 cetane minimum if it has no bio, 51 if it has any. And, 460 micron wear scar. Next question is, how's enforcement...

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Makes me wonder how bad would it be to just put in an oil level indicator. From other threads I've gathered that oil consumption may have increased as of late across the board, to where Toyota etc are around 1qt/1,000 miles and that is considered "acceptable." Toss in 10k OCI's and it's a wonder there aren't more problems. Now toss in this issue with oil dilution, and I really start to wonder if manufacturers aren't being foolish with our money by not putting in a simple sensor to measure level at engine start. Yes yes yes I could easily check my oil level whenever I want to; but for some reason I have this feeling it's like a buck per car to add this somehow.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
We've got absolutely awful cetane though.

Edit: Looks like they allow up to B5 in their regular diesel. 46 cetane minimum if it has no bio, 51 if it has any. And, 460 micron wear scar. Next question is, how's enforcement...
Isn't the minimum cetane level 40 for the U.S.? That's what most get when they purchase Diesel here.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Makes me wonder how bad would it be to just put in an oil level indicator. From other threads I've gathered that oil consumption may have increased as of late across the board, to where Toyota etc are around 1qt/1,000 miles and that is considered "acceptable." Toss in 10k OCI's and it's a wonder there aren't more problems. Now toss in this issue with oil dilution, and I really start to wonder if manufacturers aren't being foolish with our money by not putting in a simple sensor to measure level at engine start. Yes yes yes I could easily check my oil level whenever I want to; but for some reason I have this feeling it's like a buck per car to add this somehow.
They've had them for years - except they are called "oil pressure gages" ;) And as accurate as they are, I wouldn't trust an "oil level gage" :D

Oh and even if it was only a "buck" to add, the car manufacturers would still charge in excess of $100 for it!

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Isn't the minimum cetane level 40 for the U.S.? That's what most get when they purchase Diesel here.
Correct.

Also, two oil level switches would be adequate. "Oil level too low" and "oil level too high" in the MFA would do the trick.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, two oil level switches would be adequate. "Oil level too low" and "oil level too high" in the MFA would do the trick.
You forgot the "Oil level just right" switch. From the story "TDIers and the 3 Oil Levels" :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The oil rising issue may have very well been due to very short trips on a regular basis in the cases in which it occured. Seems like I recall reading that as one of the causes in the Mazda instance. With our TDI's, we know very short trips alone on a regular basis is not a great idea, though I don't know if it would cause rising oil levels or not (it could prevent regular/ necessary regens).
I drive a lot of short trips as my commute is only 5 miles. As mentioned above, no issues with oil level.