Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Last edited:

shegel

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta 2015 Passat
Went to the local Mazda dealership a few weeks ago asking about this car. They said that they hadn't heard anything but that they would let me know when they found anything out

I'm guessing they just placed their order because this is the message I got a few days ago

Just wanted to let you know we will have the Diesel Mazada 6 at the end of September beginning of October. If you have any questions between now and then please feel free to contact me.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Went to the local Mazda dealership a few weeks ago asking about this car. They said that they hadn't heard anything but that they would let me know when they found anything out

I'm guessing they just placed their order because this is the message I got a few days ago

Just wanted to let you know we will have the Diesel Mazada 6 at the end of September beginning of October. If you have any questions between now and then please feel free to contact me.

At long last a dealership with concrete, exact timeframe for when they will have the car on their lot. It remains to be seen, however, whether the dealer is telling the truth.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I work at a multi line dealership and our Mazda store is next door, I'm intrigued by the new 6 but no automatic for me. Would ideally want a CX5 in a manual with leather (dog is a pita to keep clean with cloth).

Sent from USS Enterprise

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I work at a multi line dealership and our Mazda store is next door, I'm intrigued by the new 6 but no automatic for me. Would ideally want a CX5 in a manual with leather (dog is a pita to keep clean with cloth).

Sent from USS Enterprise

Ideally the CX5 would be manual, leather and DIESEL. Now that would be nice I would pre-order that in a heartbeat.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Suv's are starting to downsize. Thank goodness for that!

I would never settle for one of those huge beasts and the poor fuel economy.

I would give the suv serious consideration. Would love a Wagon more but we will not get that sadly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Mazda Diesel. Tongue hangng out, Low Compression ratio you wacky Japanese, me want.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The only Mazda I'd be interested in getting would be a Miata/MX-5; don't like the looks of the rest. When the ND Miata comes out in 2014/15, it'll be interesting to see if there is a SkyActive-D/SkyActive-MT option. Also since Alfa will be building a car on the same platform, I wonder what will be their powerplant options.

mendy

Mazda6 wagon or CX5 compact SUV

I've driven the Mazda CX-5 compact SUV. Very impressed. Has a strong rating by Motor Trend as does the Mazda6, which has the best rating of a family-size sedan (over Passat & Accord, who held previous highest ratings). But I need a wagon, and the Mazda6 wagon with diesel has excellent ratings in Europe. This would be a strong competitor to the now non-existent Passat wagon. (Actually, the MKVI VW Sportwagon is as long as the previous European Passat.) The VW Sportwagon has nice room inside but Mazda6 is roomier. Having measured both the CX5 and Mazda6 I find the ground clearance of each at front and rear to be almost identical. This is useful as I trailer a lightweight, solid-wall camping trailer (Aliner). I'm having continued issues with my Jetta's turbocharger; now stuck in Montana, 2300 miles from home, with second turbo in 14 months! Why does VW only install rebuilt turbos? A Mazda sounds good at the moment, though I love driving the Jetta. Mazda6 diesel in sedan is due in dealerships this late-Oct or Nov 2013. In talking with dealers they feel the delay is due to "educating" their sales teams on how to talk diesel. I would guess they also have to train their service personnel & stock parts for diesels. If the Mazda6 wagon were not available I'd definitely buy a diesel CX5 when I get back home to Florida.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I saw the Mazda 6 SkyActiv race today at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI It reminded me of when Audi raced their diesels here at the track. The car seems to come out of nowhere due to its quiet sound and there it is along with a puff of black exhaust smoke as it powered around turn 3 at the track. I will post a link to the video in which I may use a snipped of the Mazda.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Last edited:

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Since we are waiting for the 6 to show in diesel form - I'd like to discuss the longevity of the car due to the weight reduction done across the board on this car.

Lighter weight materials are great for the mileage improvements, but how will these parts WEAR over time? I'm talking suspension components, the frame and other parts that have gone on a diet. This means either thinner material, less material or new materials (like composite materials). I associate lightweight materials to less durable.

While my new beetle is heading towards 250,000 I wonder if I'd be able to drive the 6 for a decade or more with lightweight materials. Same with the redesigned tranny (auto) - will a smaller, lighter tranny be able to resist heat, wear, etc as well as a more traditional (heavy duty) design?

And speaking of the transmission - I've gone over all of the info on Mazda's site - is the new tranny still a slushbox (mostly fluid and valves)? Going over the diagrams in the service manuals makes this look like a single shaft version of a DSG style tranny. Confused.

And speaking of manuals (see what I did there?) the official shop manuals on Mazda's service site (if you know where to look) has still not been updated with the diesel engine portions - I would think that the release of the diesel would be signaled by the shop manuals being updated.

Lastly, Mazda has a computer/car/software interface similar to VAGCOM called M-MDS. Has there ever been any sort of consumer model of this available? I haven't gone looking too deeply other than noting that scanXL has a mazda add-on - does anyone know if this allows any adaptions to be performed or not? It looks like the software only covers up to 2009 models (unless they have not updated their website). I really love the vagcom and it has saved my butt on numerous occasions. I'd hate to not have something similar.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Lighter does not translate to weaker materials. All transportation industries have been stripping weight since the wheel was first discovered/invented. It's a natual way of increasing power or efficancy without changing the propulsion system. Composite materials have been proven to give as long of life or better, depending on the compsite and desried end properties.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Since we are waiting for the 6 to show in diesel form - I'd like to discuss the longevity of the car due to the weight reduction done across the board on this car.

Lighter weight materials are great for the mileage improvements, but how will these parts WEAR over time? I'm talking suspension components, the frame and other parts that have gone on a diet. This means either thinner material, less material or new materials (like composite materials). I associate lightweight materials to less durable.

While my new beetle is heading towards 250,000 I wonder if I'd be able to drive the 6 for a decade or more with lightweight materials. Same with the redesigned tranny (auto) - will a smaller, lighter tranny be able to resist heat, wear, etc as well as a more traditional (heavy duty) design?

And speaking of the transmission - I've gone over all of the info on Mazda's site - is the new tranny still a slushbox (mostly fluid and valves)? Going over the diagrams in the service manuals makes this look like a single shaft version of a DSG style tranny. Confused.

And speaking of manuals (see what I did there?) the official shop manuals on Mazda's service site (if you know where to look) has still not been updated with the diesel engine portions - I would think that the release of the diesel would be signaled by the shop manuals being updated.

Lastly, Mazda has a computer/car/software interface similar to VAGCOM called M-MDS. Has there ever been any sort of consumer model of this available? I haven't gone looking too deeply other than noting that scanXL has a mazda add-on - does anyone know if this allows any adaptions to be performed or not? It looks like the software only covers up to 2009 models (unless they have not updated their website). I really love the vagcom and it has saved my butt on numerous occasions. I'd hate to not have something similar.
Great post. How lighter, stiffer materials fatigue is an open question. Guess we'll know in ten years.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe you should buy a car with a complete separate frame. Or only with steel wheels. Or with springs in the seats. Or an iron block and head. And only rear drive with a solid rear axle.

Lighter body in white using high strength steel and other materials means that other components can be lighter duty because there is less weight for them to carry around. The cars we drive were considered too light duty to be durable, especially the engine, when they were introduced. I have no idea how long the Mazda will last, but lighter weight components shouldn't be a worry. I'd be more concerned about whether they've improved their rust prevention.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Looks like autoenginuity offers a Mazda add-on also. I have that software with the Ford bundle and it is good but not as good as vcds.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Maybe you should buy a car with a complete separate frame. Or only with steel wheels. Or with springs in the seats. Or an iron block and head. And only rear drive with a solid rear axle.

Lighter body in white using high strength steel and other materials means that other components can be lighter duty because there is less weight for them to carry around. The cars we drive were considered too light duty to be durable, especially the engine, when they were introduced. I have no idea how long the Mazda will last, but lighter weight components shouldn't be a worry. I'd be more concerned about whether they've improved their rust prevention.
Maybe you should **** off. My best friend is World renowned materials physics professor and no matter how much modeling you do, new materials can surprise.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All I'm saying is the car in your avatar was considered new technology and durability was questioned when it was launched. Monocoque construction, lighter weight transverse engine with smaller transmission and front drive, independent suspension...folks thought all of these things wouldn't last. New materials certainly can surprise, even old ones can. I've been reading lately that aluminum body cars get weaker and brittle with age, so that lovely Audi A8 may break in half some day.

I'm not questioning your friend's knowledge. If he had a BS in physics he'd be way ahead of me. I just like it better when people give new technology to prove itself before discounting it.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
All I'm saying is the car in your avatar was considered new technology and durability was questioned when it was launched. Monocoque construction, lighter weight transverse engine with smaller transmission and front drive, independent suspension...folks thought all of these things wouldn't last. New materials certainly can surprise, even old ones can. I've been reading lately that aluminum body cars get weaker and brittle with age, so that lovely Audi A8 may break in half some day.

I'm not questioning your friend's knowledge. If he had a BS in physics he'd be way ahead of me. I just like it better when people give new technology to prove itself before discounting it.
Yeh, you gotta respect a degree in BS.