Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

michigandon

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Location
Wake Forest, NC
TDI
1998 A3
oilhammer said:
You know those are just Ford Rangers, right? :p
Well aware of that, but I'm still gonna say it anyway.

Not unlike Mitsubishi, I wish they still sold their own trucks on these shores. :( Go to Mazda UKs' site and get a load of the BT-50!
 

N3v

New member
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Location
Nashville, TN
TDI
None!
i was gonna complain about the bad rap mazda gets with all this 'rebadged fords' stuff, but unfortunately I guess its kinda true these days. I absolutely love my miata, but it's from the good old days in the 90s and imported straight from japan. Also, I've test driven plenty of mazdas and they seem FAR more 'together' than fords. I dunno. I'd still be really excited to see diesel models. I think thats a far more reasonable solution than that stupid hybrid **** which requires much more expensive parts and you still have cars that are ultimately hauling around a ton more weight in electric motors. it seems really impractical.
 

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Location
Fairfield CT
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
rotarykid said:
From what I read this weekend a requirement of 24 mpg for light trucks & 30 mpg for cars highways CAFE starting in 2011 is being announced this week . Depending on how much CAFE increases & how little time the automakers are given to reach proposed increasing CAFE rules will dictate what diesel models we get here in coming years . Currently diesel tech is the only real way to meet meaningful CAFE increase today and for the foreseeable future
That's the part that makes me nuts. Diesels are a fast wasy to meet the new CAFE requirements without having to invest bazillions to develop complex hybrid technology. I realize the ponderous emissions regs for US diesels require expensive exhaust treatment, but that's gotta be cheaper than the hybrid alternative.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN said:
I have never made any secret of the fact that I bought my TDI's because they were diesels; NOT because they were VW's. You heard it here: if Mazda gets serious about this diesel technology, they will administer the biggest a$$ kicking to VW that they have ever experienced
Yeah, that's what we all said when we heard Honda was bringing their diesel here too...
 
Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Location
Raleigh, NC
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
The day I see a non-german Diesel for sale is the same day I'll have a massive heart attack and die I'm afraid.
 

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Location
Raleigh, NC
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
If it's an automatic I have a coworker who will rip my heart out, sell it on the black market version of ebay, and buy it from you....

Is it an 84 model?
 

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
Joined
Jul 3, 1999
Location
New Zealand
TDI
2015 Cross Polo 1.2 TSI 81kW, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
If you like I'll send you a new one on oilhammer's new boat.

US$17,250 at the current exchange rate for the Corolla 1.4 D-4D
 

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Location
Colorado
TDI
2013 Focus ST
N3v said:
i was gonna complain about the bad rap mazda gets with all this 'rebadged fords' stuff, but unfortunately I guess its kinda true these days. I absolutely love my miata, but it's from the good old days in the 90s and imported straight from japan. Also, I've test driven plenty of mazdas and they seem FAR more 'together' than fords. I dunno. I'd still be really excited to see diesel models. I think thats a far more reasonable solution than that stupid hybrid **** which requires much more expensive parts and you still have cars that are ultimately hauling around a ton more weight in electric motors. it seems really impractical.
Hybrids and diesels are completely different in terms of the way they drive and the type of driver buying them. The reason i think a market for both will continue. I wouldn't call it impractical as the theme in the industry (in NA at least) is hybrids increasing their power and mpg's while diesels increase their power and decrease mpg's.

As fare as the added weight you complained about; have you actually compared the diesel vehicles to hybrids? The Camry hybrid weight is almost identical to a 09 TDI, my much smaller golf actually weighs more then my Prius. I don't buy the more expensive parts either, very few parts on these TDI's are cheap and the talent to put them back together "correctly" is not only hard to find but expensive.
 

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
Joined
May 26, 1999
Location
Aston,Pa. USA
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Tin Cans?

raybo said:
BB -
With all due respect, check out the latest SUV rollover ratings - Tiguan is 5-Star. We buy these VWs because they are the safest small cars. Mazda = tin can. Ford forced Volvo to stop advertising their strong roofs because folks were/are getting crushed in Explorer rollovers.

We need the German engineered safety VWs provide. Do a search for the wrecked Golfs on this forum where the driver walked away.
Ray
With all due respect, I really find it hard to believe that you really think Mazdas are "tin cans." As to rollover ratings, the best score in the history of the test was achieved by the Mazda RX-8....:)
 

raybo

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Location
St. Petersburg, FL
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
BRUSSELS BELGIAN said:
With all due respect, I really find it hard to believe that you really think Mazdas are "tin cans." As to rollover ratings, the best score in the history of the test was achieved by the Mazda RX-8....:)
Fair enough, I didn't research all Mazdas.

The RX-8 has a low center of gravity (it's a sports car!!!) and therefore has a high resistance to rollover. If it did rollover, could its roof support it?

15 years ago my brother was run off of I-78 in NJ while driving a VW Fox, the car rolled and ended up on its roof, and he got out without a scratch. It would not have been as pretty in a "modern" Explorer. I wonder how well an old Mazda 323 would have done.

Ray
 

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Location
Raleigh, NC
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Interesting you bring that story up about a VW and rollover; VW seems to have been one of the first to really utilize rollover testing on their vehicle designs. That is one of the reasons my new to the wheel coworker is gungho about owning a VW.....safety.
 

Rickstah

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2002
Location
Yukon, Oklahoma
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
raybo said:
Fair enough, I didn't research all Mazdas.

The RX-8 has a low center of gravity (it's a sports car!!!) and therefore has a high resistance to rollover. If it did rollover, could its roof support it?

15 years ago my brother was run off of I-78 in NJ while driving a VW Fox, the car rolled and ended up on its roof, and he got out without a scratch. It would not have been as pretty in a "modern" Explorer. I wonder how well an old Mazda 323 would have done.

Ray
I would have to agree that 15 years ago a mazda 323 might not have fared as well as the Fox, but I bought a base hatchback model 323 in October 1990, and my dad still drives it every day to my house, well it seems like every day, lol. It doesn't consume more than a few spoonfulls of oil between changes, ok the seats are now towels and foam inserts, but it still gets 33 mpg around town and the a/c blows cold...the clutch is a bit of a touchy mother, but still original, and it pulls hard if you want. If it rolled over I supect it would hold up as well as could be expected. Those Foxes of that vintage were pretty boxy and upright from what I recall...the 323 may have just rolled over onto its wheels :). Your point is taken, though...if I had to choose then it would be to go through it in the Fox. I once slapped a mosquito on the roof of it one evening and it took ten minutes to pop the crater back out :). OTOH, I remember getting the stink eye from someone when I asked them about their Fox in early 90s, thinking of buying one for my folks...they painted a familiar picture of dealer trips and such. I dunno...I wouldn't be afraid of a Mazda quality-wise, and I had Mazda Navajo for a few months that seemed solid...but it got returned due to many many problems. (shrugs).

I just want a friggin diesel minivan so I can pull our 3800 pd boat and get decent mileage, mumble mumble, and not have to break out big iron going to the lake.
 

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2001
Location
union maine
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
the fox now thats an endagered species. my fox cost 4g paid out 5g in insurance 2 totals one car what a target finally died of overheating as most fox did.
 

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Location
Ratzeburg
TDI
BMW 118d
DPM said:
I wonder if this is a unique new engine or just a refinement of a Ford/PSA design?
Mazda currently has available (in Europe)

1) 1.6 PSA/Ford with 68/90/109 hp for the Mazda2 and Mazda3
2) older 2.0 110/140hp commonrail in the Mazda5 (used to be available in the 3 and 6 before the 2.2 was available)
3) new 2.2 CR with varying power levels up to 185hp, available in the Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-7

The 2.0 and 2.2 are not related to the Ford/PSA design. the Mazda3 with the 185hp 2.2 is in magazine reviews one second slower 0-100 kph than the Golf GTD and less efficient.
 

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Location
Raleigh, NC
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
German_1er_diesel said:
Mazda currently has available (in Europe)

1) 1.6 PSA/Ford with 68/90/109 hp for the Mazda2 and Mazda3
2) older 2.0 110/140hp commonrail in the Mazda5 (used to be available in the 3 and 6 before the 2.2 was available)
3) new 2.2 CR with varying power levels up to 185hp, available in the Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-7

The 2.0 and 2.2 are not related to the Ford/PSA design. the Mazda3 with the 185hp 2.2 is in magazine reviews one second slower 0-100 kph than the Golf GTD and less efficient.
But more efficient than the gasoline version of either the VW or Mazda; that's all that really matters.
 

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Location
Ratzeburg
TDI
BMW 118d
kcfoxie said:
But more efficient than the gasoline version of either the VW or Mazda; that's all that really matters.
if you care about efficiency, the obvious choice is the 1.6 diesel. The 2.0 and 2.2s are more focused on performance
 

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Location
Raleigh, NC
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
They won't sell the 1.6L here because it won't sell. This country puts 0-60 time before fuel economy every time. I think we learned this with the CBEA 16v TDI.
 

Turbo D

Veteran Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2002
Location
San Jose , CA
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Tornado red
I was checking out an Australian weekly newpaper and saw some ads for the Mazda BT 50 truck, it's really cool 4x4 extra cab that would sell here very well, but alas we are stuck with the regular run of the mill trucks. Those Aussie's have some pretty nice choices in vehicles I have to say.
 

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
Joined
Jul 3, 1999
Location
New Zealand
TDI
2015 Cross Polo 1.2 TSI 81kW, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
We have the same choices here. What is worth emphasizing however is that with respect to median household income new cars and trucks are very expensive, to say nothing of the retail price of fuel. People here would much rather have the car and fuel prices and choices available in the USA, and the income to match.
 

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Location
Oswego,IL
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
If the Mazda 5 came in a diesel, I would buy one in a second. Maybe I will get lucky with the next generation rebadged Routan or something from Fiat/Chrysler. With 4 kids, I need a van of some sort.
 

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Location
NJ
TDI
2017 Bolt EV, 2015 Spark EV
It says in the latest issue od Autoweek that Mazda's already testing them on the roads here.
 
Top