Mazda 3 Hatchback

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
We already have an '06 Touring hatch...and will probably pass that off to the nearly 16 year old and mama will get a shiny new 3 GT. Both manual. He can learn the essentials of driving on dad's auto Rav4, then master it on his own manual. Even though they're becoming increasingly rare, I think it's an important skill to have. Being able to operate any vehicle on the road is really useful in a pinch.

I must say that I find it interesting that people talk about how badly Mazdas corrode. Ours is 11 years old and has VERY few and minor spots of rust. And we live in the land of near constant moisture and road salt (and don't wash it nearly as often as we probably should). Plus it spent the first 7 years of its life parked outdoors. A bigger gripe I would have is the durability of the sheet metal on our old 3. It has little dents all over it from green pinecones falling on it and where the feet for our roof rack sat.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Doe anybody know if the Touring grade comes with 16 inch alloy wheels? They should ride better and be cheaper to replace than the 18 inch tires.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like I will have to go with the Touring edition in order to get powered and heated drivers seat and some extra safety features. Hopefully the insurance cost will go down with the safety features and automatic transmission. I just wish the leatherette came in something other than black.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
It looks like I will have to go with the Touring edition in order to get powered and heated drivers seat and some extra safety features. Hopefully the insurance cost will go down with the safety features and automatic transmission. I just wish the leatherette came in something other than black.
Why would insurance be lower with an automatic transmission? I would think it would be slightly higher as manuals are less likely to be stolen.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I was mainly talking about the safety features such as cross traffic alert. To get a standard I would have to special order it from my local dealer and rent a car in the meantime. Add to that a higher fuel efficiency with the automatic according to the tests by Consumers Report.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
I was mainly talking about the safety features such as cross traffic alert. To get a standard I would have to special order it from my local dealer and rent a car in the meantime. Add to that a higher fuel efficiency with the automatic according to the tests by Consumers Report.

I got an automatic and in mixed driving (mostly surface streets) am getting 34.5mpg. My 6spd manual TDI on the exact same routes (from week to week I do the exact same drives unless I go on a trip) would get 38mpg.

Well, I figure 38/34.5=1.10
RUG is 1.95 and Diesel is 2.29. 1.10x1.95=2.14. So as long as RUG is 1.95 and diesel costs over 2.14, my automatic Mazda3 is actually cheaper on fuel then my 6spd TDI was.

I have been paying attention to the engine and tach to see when the automatic shifts and it seems to do a very good job. Technology come a long way since I ditched my last automatic vehicle in 2004 for a 2004/5spd TDI and then a 2009/6spd TDI.

Supposedly the Mazda auto is locked up 80% of the time reducing the energy lost in a conventional automatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHGnfnQPk4

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well diesel went up to $2.19 yesterday. The better the economy the bigger the difference between rug and diesel locally. Catch 22 I guess. Hopefully tomorrow I can get every thing entered online.

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
I purchased a 2014 Mazda 3 Touring S with the 2.5. The wife and I could handle about an hour before hip pain started. I did find the center console media knob very nice after a while. Plenty of power made it fun to drive.
Tires on the 18" rims left the edge completely exposed and ready to be damaged. Ended up trading it after 4 months (glad I got a decent deal on it used)
All in all...... not a road car in my opinion.

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I wish that I could get the 16 inch alloy wheels in the Touring package. They are eternally working on I-10. I will miss the tough front wind shield glass in the JSW. I would be on my third windshield if it was like my old Toyota. As to the back pain, I had a a major bout of sciatica from early June into mid October. The chiropractor pulled no punches and told me to lose weight and actually use my gym membership.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Yes I wish that I could get the 16 inch alloy wheels in the Touring package. They are eternally working on I-10. ...snip...
Five step process:
  1. Buy the trim level which provides the level of equipment which you desire
  2. Buy a set of 16" wheels, be they OE (lots avaialble from lower level trim cars on CL) or aftermarket
  3. Install a set of new tires (recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus) on the wheels and install on your new car
  4. Sell the 18" OE wheels for a price which mostly covers your outlay for the replacement wheels & tires.
  5. Enjoy your new car!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
In my view, to get better expected MPG estimates, you can look at fuelly.com averages and the like. Based on this type of data light duty diesel passenger vehicles are still noticeably more fuel efficient than their conventional gasoline counterparts. There is really no evidence of the fuel economy gap narrowing any time soon.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
True though the only affordable diesel available within six months is the Cruze sedan. That is a completely untried new model.

KBell2002

TDI
2002 Silver Jetta GLS 5spd (RIP), 2009 Salsa Red Jetta 6 spd Manual
After reading through this, I looked up Mazda 3's and impressed. Nice MPG and interior is quite nice. thanks!

Also Honda Civic hatchback gets some nice MPG numbers. Will have to check one of them out too now.
Just picked up a Civic LX Hatchback 6spd 1/14 after my 1/10/17 buy back. Spent Sunday driving the Adirondacks. Not a great indicator of average mpg, but a lotta fun! Took some adjustments after 15 years of Jetta diesels, but I found visibility better than the Mazda 3. Also test drove a Jetta SE and Toyota Corolla. For me, the driveability and the hatch made the difference.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Keep us informed about how you like/dislike the Civic Hatch. It's on the short list of possible replacements for several of us.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just picked up a Civic LX Hatchback 6spd 1/14 after my 1/10/17 buy back. Spent Sunday driving the Adirondacks. Not a great indicator of average mpg, but a lotta fun! Took some adjustments after 15 years of Jetta diesels, but I found visibility better than the Mazda 3. Also test drove a Jetta SE and Toyota Corolla. For me, the driveability and the hatch made the difference.
How do you like the infotainment system? That's the thing about the Mazda 3 which turns me off the most. I played with the CV hatch at a lot, but it's hard to get a feel when you're not driving 70mph, aka how easy it is to use under pressure. Traditionally, Honda's have had some pretty awful interfaces.

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
How do you like the infotainment system? That's the thing about the Mazda 3 which turns me off the most. I played with the CV hatch at a lot, but it's hard to get a feel when you're not driving 70mph, aka how easy it is to use under pressure. Traditionally, Honda's have had some pretty awful interfaces.
I didn't like the master knob of the Mazda 3 at first but after a week it turned out to be fantastic. The touch screen is completely disabled while the car is moving with the Mazda 3. That's the biggest thing I miss about the Mazda.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I didn't like the master knob of the Mazda 3 at first but after a week it turned out to be fantastic. The touch screen is completely disabled while the car is moving with the Mazda 3. That's the biggest thing I miss about the Mazda.
I drive a 2007 M3 hatch now, and the first thing I did was remove the stock radio and put in a Pioneer with voice control. After testing the new Mazda's, it seems unlikely an aftermarket would work in these cars.
How is the voice response/understanding etc., for things like asking for directions, making phone calls, selecting songs? The 2016 M3 I demoed seemed hit and miss on understanding what I was saying

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
Keep us informed about how you like/dislike the Civic Hatch. It's on the short list of possible replacements for several of us.
Curious too, even though I've already moved on (to a GTI).

The '17 Civic HB was was also on my short list, in the end the lack of compatibility with a receiver hitch bike carrier (center exhaust exit) and a mix of amenities drove me away.

I would have appreciated the better fuel economy, but not only would have lost most of it most of the time with bike(s) on the roof. Also, the Civic tank is smaller than the GTI so tank range only about 10% better than GTI, again that benefit would likely be killed by the bike(s) on the roof - which from my experience at best chews about 5 mpg, more at higher speeds.

Clearly, bicycle hauling is important to me. ;^)

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
I drive a 2007 M3 hatch now, and the first thing I did was remove the stock radio and put in a Pioneer with voice control. After testing the new Mazda's, it seems unlikely an aftermarket would work in these cars.
How is the voice response/understanding etc., for things like asking for directions, making phone calls, selecting songs? The 2016 M3 I demoed seemed hit and miss on understanding what I was saying
The voice command was hit and miss. The Bluetooth worked decent and wouldn't disconnect for no reason. From what I understand it is a learing system. The more you use it, the better it is with you. I didn't have the car long enough to really tell. Put 9K on in 4 months but it was not the car for us.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Mazda makes a good vehicle. Had a Miata MX-5 and the wife owned a 626 back in the day. Both were very reliable cars. The new Mazda 3 is a lot of car for the money. I don't think you could go wrong, especially if you got one with the 6 speed manual gearbox.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
the wife owned a 626 back in the day. Both were very reliable cars.
Have a buddy that owned a 323 (distant ancestor to the current Mazda 3; about 30 years ago). Drove it 160K miles, original clutch. Sold it to a friend in Mexico where it went and lasted another 100K+ miles

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The '17 Civic HB was was also on my short list, in the end the lack of compatibility with a receiver hitch bike carrier (center exhaust exit) and a mix of amenities drove me away.

Might I ask what trim level you looked at? The reason I ask:

"The Sport and Sport Touring iterations are unique to the hatchback—the sedan and coupe have no equivalent versions—and come with a freer-flowing, center-exit (!) exhaust setup that bumps horsepower to 180."

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-official-photos-and-info-news

Here's the best photo I could find. It's an EX-L at a dealer in Columbus, Ohio. If you scroll through the slideshow there's a shot taken from a low angle straight back from the car. I cannot see whether the mufflers and pipes would preclude a hitch, but it doesn't have the center-exit dual exhaust.
http://www.lindsayhonda.com/detail-...ex~l_cvt_w_slash_navigation-new-15639648.html

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I can tell that when that teenage girl pulled out in front of my GMC pickup I was impressed with its built in safety features. I didn't have time to brake, just to twitch the steering wheel enough to hit the back drivers side door and knock them into a flat spin. Fortunately that was the only unoccupied seat and all of the teenagers were un injured.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Curious too, even though I've already moved on (to a GTI).
I would have appreciated the better fuel economy, but not only would have lost most of it most of the time with bike(s) on the roof. Also, the Civic tank is smaller than the GTI so tank range only about 10% better than GTI, again that benefit would likely be killed by the bike(s) on the roof - which from my experience at best chews about 5 mpg, more at higher speeds.
If I may ask, have you done any research about bikes on top vs in the back in terms of MPG penalty differences?

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
If I may ask, have you done any research about bikes on top vs in the back in terms of MPG penalty differences?
I don't recall exact #s and our current Mazda 3 is 11 years old, but it was a pretty significant decrease, IIRC. Enough that it cost less to haul our tandem inside my DH's 6cyl Rav4 than it did to haul it on the roof of my Mazda.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't recall exact #s and our current Mazda 3 is 11 years old, but it was a pretty significant decrease, IIRC. Enough that it cost less to haul our tandem inside my DH's 6cyl Rav4 than it did to haul it on the roof of my Mazda.
Thanks for the reply. I meant in the back as by using a bike rack with the hitch.