Maybe VW should just buy NOx credits?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Is there a market for NOx credits, similar to CO2 credits? That might be the simplest solution for VW to get out of this mess.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Apparently there is a US NOx emissions market: $130-$300/ton

So, it seems there is a market in many states (see http://www.evomarkets.com/environment/emissions_markets/emission_reduction_credits and http://www3.epa.gov/crossstaterule/faqs.html), and the cost for NOx emissions has recently varied between $130 and $300/ton.

The typical TDI emission seems to be around 1 gram/mile, that's 1kg/1000 miles, and one ton per million miles.
I'd say VW should pay 300 bucks per TDI on the road, and call it a day. If they feel snarky, maybe they could ask the EPA for a partial refund when a car eventually doesn't make it to 1,000,000 miles. (I sure hope mine does, although as stated before I'm not sure I want to drive the same car that long...)

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
Let's see.... 482,000 vehicles to be recalled for a retrofit of a DEF system or sw update, plus an $8 billion dollar fine, and potential class action lawsuits, or $300x482000=$164,600,000. Hmmm. Sounds like a better deal to me.:rolleyes:

At this point, the fine is a given, since they were caught cheating.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
I would like to see VW be forced to pay a 10 billion dollar fine, that money would go to removing older polluting big rigs, and replacing them with new clean diesels, kind of a cash for clunkers program only VW foots the bill. The amount of nox reduction would be mind boggling, not to mention how much fuel would be saved. VW pays for it's sins and TDI owners get to keep their cars unmolested, and the air actually gets cleaned up, especially in urban areas where nox matters the most. I can dream right?:D

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
VW should just have done like the domestics then and killed there customers, the EPA wouldent have got involved and the'd of payed a fraction of a billion.

As a resident of Colorado I'd like to see the EPA pay a 10 billion dollar fine for there own environmental pollution.

If you think a single dollar of VW's fine will go to helping the environment your entirely delusional..

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
I did not look into the details of the NOx emission credits trading program, so I don't know whether it could even be applied to cars.

I created the thread because I did want to point out that there is an officially accepted price tag for NOx emissions, and it is surprisingly low (a few hundred dollars per ton, which covers a million TDI miles) compared to the cost of even the most minor inspection, modification or repair on our cars.
The total cost for half a million cars is of course still in the hundred million dollar range. (Earl, there is an error in your math: 300*500,000 is 150 million, so 300*482,000 must be less than that.)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
VW should just have done like the domestics then and killed there customers, the EPA wouldent have got involved and the'd of payed a fraction of a billion.

As a resident of Colorado I'd like to see the EPA pay a 10 billion dollar fine for there own environmental pollution.

If you think a single dollar of VW's fine will go to helping the environment your entirely delusional..

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
The EPA in this country is out of control & needs to be cut by about 50% like most other Federal Agencies. We are regulating ourselves out millions of jobs & driving up the cost of everything in the process. Look at all of the laws that Hillary Clinton broke by keeping State Department correspondence on a private server, yet I don't see any charges being filed against her.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr View Post

VW never killed any one like GM and Toyota,GM and Toyota should of got charged for Maslaughter but no just paid the fine and moved on.
Ever one is crying about a little gas cows do more damage to the air with there farts.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S

Believe me I'm not delusional, I know that not a single penny will go to reducing the problem, it will just get rolled into the general coffers and be promptly spent of who knows what. The cash for clunkers for big rigs would be a great way to move past this whole mess, sadly something like that will never happen.