Mass Airflow meter fault. Does the ECU need to be reset?

Sherlockuk

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI 130 PD Sport
Have bought a mass airflow meter off of EBay and when it was installed the car ran like and absolute load of cr*p! I have emailed the seller and he has suggested resetting the ECU so it can re-adjust.
Firstly where is the ECU situated on a Mk4 Golf TDI PD 115? And secondly how do I reset it? Is it resettable from the instruments or is there a reset button on the actual ECU Unit?
I also have VAG com, but I could not see if there was a way to reset the ECU with that.

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Sherlockuk said:
but I could not see if there was a way to reset the ECU with that.
Howdy, T ! I've never heard of "resetting" the ECU for such a fault. Anybody else?

Sherlockuk

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI 130 PD Sport
I thought the ECU would just re configure its self when a new part was fitted. Which is why I think that the Mass Air Flow meter I purchased is not working correctly. I mean the car works better with the original one fitted.. Even though that is picked up as faulty when I read the fault codes with VAG Com.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no "reset" other than clearing the fault codes, which I'm sure you've done.

Are you sure that MAF is from exactly the same vehicle??

And given the frequency with which those MAF sensors go bad, it's quite possible that the replacement is bad.

Airliner

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant Quattro 2001 silver
GoFaster said:
There is no "reset" other than clearing the fault codes, which I'm sure you've done.
Tjaaaa, some people says that there actually IS a procedure, but if this is bs or actually a real procedure I don't know.

Copyed from another thread:

----
Try the ECU reset procedure.
1. With car off, depress accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
2. Turn key to on position but do not start vehicle. Wait for a slow count of fifteen. Take key out.
3. Start car normally. Sometimes this has to be repeated a second time.
----

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Sherlockuk said:
Have bought a mass airflow meter off of EBay and when it was installed the car ran like and absolute load of cr*p! I have emailed the seller and he has suggested resetting the ECU so it can re-adjust.
I don't know of one. Lots of folks on Ebay selling gasser MAFs and advertising them as TDI MAFs. If the part number is ground off, bet on it.