Marylanders With TDI Recalls

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Has any Marylander here tried to get any answers about getting the excise tax back back of the cars being bought back?

I wrote the Md DOT and the Governor and asked if there was anything in the works for us to get that tax back because of the buy-back. I got an email today from the DOT referencing that letter saying that the law does not include a provision for refunding that tax based on a vehicle recall. They recommend that I contact the manufacturer for any compensation for which I feel entitled !

Like, HEY! Has an vehicle manufacturer EVER been in this situation in the United States before?

I feel that as a group, we ought to band together and all write the Governor to ask to have this law revised to cover the situation. Anyone want to agree to attempt to address this?

If you don't feel you want to publicly say anything, feel free to PM me here....

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Has any Marylander here tried to get any answers about getting the excise tax back back of the cars being bought back?

I wrote the Md DOT and the Governor and asked if there was anything in the works for us to get that tax back because of the buy-back. I got an email today from the DOT referencing that letter saying that the law does not include a provision for refunding that tax based on a vehicle recall. They recommend that I contact the manufacturer for any compensation for which I feel entitled !

Like, HEY! Has an vehicle manufacturer EVER been in this situation in the United States before?

I feel that as a group, we ought to band together and all write the Governor to ask to have this law revised to cover the situation. Anyone want to agree to attempt to address this?

If you don't feel you want to publicly say anything, feel free to PM me here....
I don't know what to do to get a tax credit on this. I thought about bringing in the MVA bill of sale form when I had my buyback appointment last week but I was itching like a dog to go through the appointment cut throat. I was done within maybe less than 30min. If there is any documentation on MVA's website I would love to now about a tax credit.

Almost less than a week after the buyback appointment, I wisely spent it on Subaru.....but unfortunately had to pay the 6% MD sales tax on it SMH

Last edited:

just1boo

TDI
2014 Passat SE
I would seriously doubt the State would give that money back. you have had the car for x years and are now selling it back to the manufacturer. to me the state sees it in that light and they are not going to give up money.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I would seriously doubt the State would give that money back. you have had the car for x years and are now selling it back to the manufacturer. to me the state sees it in that light and they are not going to give up money.
Yes, this is not a recall, it is a buyback. This is much like the many posts having to do with getting tax credits because they view what's going on as a trade-in. It's not a trade-in, any more than it is a recall. Me, the buyer, is selling back a car I bought in July of 2013 for a price determined by a negotiated legal settlement (in the case of my car, @$27K, mas o menos). There is no trade-in involved, so I'm not entitled to a sales tax credit*. Neither is there a recall, since I'm perfectly free to keep the car and have it fixed and get compensation, or just keep on drivin' the way I am now.

*At least one state, VT, I think, has some special sales tax law language that permits some kind of refund or something of tax monies, but it's the only state I know that does. My state, IL, has several cases were sales tax credit is available, but this is not one of them.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Not clear to me what you are proposing. There are two situations to be considered. One relates to the vehicle bought for use. The other the vehicle bought for profit.

For the latter case, there is no reason whatever why the purchaser should get a tax refund. I'm a gross underachiever, only have bought one under this scenario. In my calculations I rolled in the excise tax before I decided to proceed with the purchase, considering the excise tax hit as part of the cost of doing business. Am sure the vast majority of other folks in this category did the same thing.

May not be quite so cut and dried for vehicles bought for actual use - and what I think you are probably addressing here. But as I believe you know, you can get get a refund if you execute a dealer agreed upon buyback within 60 days of purchase for a new or used vehicle. And like other states, the lemon law can be the other out. Neither apply here unless you are a miracle worker.

But the real question is where would a refund come from. Our governor is cutting a lot of major programs already to try get the budget under a bit of control. He certainly doesn't need another multi-million dollar bill so 4 or 5000 VW owners who are already getting overcompensated in the public eye can suck even more funds from the shrinking state coffers.

I don't want to be the reason a school in Baltimore loses money or some policeman loses his job. So, no, I'm doing nothing about getting an excise tax refund.

Last edited:

dpospres

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite 6 speed manual (sold), 2012 Passat TDI SE Sunroof NAV, Night Blue Moonrock (bought back 12/13),2017 Audi A3 Quattro Prestige
Maryland give US money.....thats funny

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
There is also the lawsuit that Maryland has pending against VW for this scandal. If they win X number of $$$, maybe we as the defrauded owners should get the excise tax back from that. All this is a "MAYBE" thing right now.... but if he (Hogan) gets enough "squeeky wheels" ...... who knows what may happen? I'm not trying to make a bundle here, I just want what's right! Revise the dang law if that's what it takes. It was OUR money and if you drive a 2.0 liter VW built before the 2015 MY, they ain't gonna FIX your car.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
it's maryland. They're happy you're going to buy a new car and give them more taxes. They won't do anything to give you money back, what were you thinking?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Yes, this is not a recall, it is a buyback. This is much like the many posts having to do with getting tax credits because they view what's going on as a trade-in. It's not a trade-in, any more than it is a recall. Me, the buyer, is selling back a car I bought in July of 2013 for a price determined by a negotiated legal settlement (in the case of my car, @$27K, mas o menos). There is no trade-in involved, so I'm not entitled to a sales tax credit*. Neither is there a recall, since I'm perfectly free to keep the car and have it fixed and get compensation, or just keep on drivin' the way I am now.
*At least one state, VT, I think, has some special sales tax law language that permits some kind of refund or something of tax monies, but it's the only state I know that does. My state, IL, has several cases were sales tax credit is available, but this is not one of them.
Really you are from Illinois and you are making comments?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Not clear to me what you are proposing. There are two situations to be considered. One relates to the vehicle bought for use. The other the vehicle bought for profit.

For the latter case, there is no reason whatever why the purchaser should get a tax refund. I'm a gross underachiever, only have bought one under this scenario. In my calculations I rolled in the excise tax before I decided to proceed with the purchase, considering the excise tax hit as part of the cost of doing business. Am sure the vast majority of other folks in this category did the same thing.

May not be quite so cut and dried for vehicles bought for actual use - and what I think you are probably addressing here. But as I believe you know, you can get get a refund if you execute a dealer agreed upon buyback within 60 days of purchase for a new or used vehicle. And like other states, the lemon law can be the other out. Neither apply here unless you are a miracle worker.

But the real question is where would a refund come from. Our governor is cutting a lot of major programs already to try get the budget under a bit of control. He certainly doesn't need another multi-million dollar bill so 4 or 5000 VW owners who are already getting overcompensated in the public eye can suck even more funds from the shrinking state coffers.

I don't want to be the reason a school in Baltimore loses money or some policeman loses his job. So, no, I'm doing nothing about getting an excise tax refund.
Baltimore schools spend the second most in the nation per pupil and they still have some of the worst schools in the nation. We have to move in two years because there is no way we would ever send our daughter to their schools. The only reason they are getting funds cut is because they faking the number of children enrolled in classes. Marking kids that hadn't attended a class in 2 years as being enrolled.

This is no different than a trade in. We bought a new VW after selling our old VW back. They should refund our tax dollars.

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
There are provisions in MD's lemon law that refund sales tax. Nothing for a buy back.

At best we could ask the MD trade-in allowance/credit for a bought back TDI (based on VW's fair market value) as if we traded the TDI when purchasing a replacement vehicle. But dealers process the trade-in allowance, not the state.

Last edited:

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
This is no different than a trade in. We bought a new VW after selling our old VW back. They should refund our tax dollars.
How is this 'no different' from 'a trade in'? To be a trade in, you must be purchasing a replacement at the same time. Many of us will simply be parting with our VW or Audi with a joyful (or sad) auf wiedersehen. And with a trade in, you only get a credit for the excise tax up the value of the vehicle being traded in. It is not exactly a refund, and you get nothing from the state.

And I didn't say Baltimore schools were any good. If you are looking for a better lifestyle and much better schools, come join us in Harford County.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
There are provisions in MD's lemon law that refund sales tax. Nothing for a buy back.

At best we could ask for a trade-in allowance/credit for a bought back TDI (based on VW's fair market value) or the purchase price of a replacement vehicle.
Not true. There are provisions for a buyback See http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-51T.htm

But the buyback must be an agreement between the dealer and the purchaser formalized within 60 days of ownership. The vehicle may be new or used. Not exactly applicable for Dieselgate though since the dealer is not involved in the transaction. And, of course, getting anything done within 60 days of purchase under the Dieselgate timelines is a little bit unlikely.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Really? Laughable at best. If states start refunding sales tax, then people who filed for IRS green initiative cars will be giving that money back, only fair right? :rolleyes:

r_jojola

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDi
As I agree with the thought process of MD should give us the tax back....I highly doubt they will. I'm turning my car on Feb 9....good luck with this.

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
The comptroller can't even get the tax liabilities correct for municipalities, I don't think they can/want to deal with this. I will be shocked if there is any adjustment coming back to you.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
lol, maryland refunding taxpayers.

I know. This whole thread is laughable. Maryland is one of the greediest states I have ever lived in. Glad I got the heck outta there 20 years ago.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
I know. This whole thread is laughable. Maryland is one of the greediest states I have ever lived in. Glad I got the heck outta there 20 years ago.
Very, very true. What other state would have a rain tax?