Maryland decides to become a CARB state.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I heard this on the radio driving home last night.

Any of our Marylanders want to speculate what this will mean for TDI futures? inspections? etc?

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
It means I'm moving to Virginia as soon as I can... to save my TDI, to save my taxes, and to save my sanity. :) Seriously, being military, I will likely get transferred at the end of the summer (possibly to VA), and not a moment too soon.

I'll try to keep my ears open to any news articles that detail the proposal.

--Mark

Justler

Veteran Member
It better include new vehicles only, or i'll just downtune and put in a test pipe for emissions. Such BS. It's so nice owning a VW TDI here in Maryland... you never have to go to emissions testing =)

DieselLuvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Blue, 99 NB, 2005 Passat Wagon
Justler said:
It better include new vehicles only, or i'll just downtune and put in a test pipe for emissions. Such BS. It's so nice owning a VW TDI here in Maryland... you never have to go to emissions testing =)
I live in New York a CARB state. I also enjoy the lack of emissions testing on my vehicle, however my "safety only" inspection costs exactly the same as an emissions inspection. There is a smoke test for diesels but vehicles under 7500 lbs are exempt. Your diesel has to be really sick to fail it.

The biggest downside to living in a CARB state is that you cannot purchase a new TDI off the lot. I have a three TDI household and purchased two of the vehicles used in other states. The third was legal to purchase (at the time) in New York.

In the case of my work van. I register the vehicle as "other" for fuel as I run bio, and veg oil on occaision. This also eliminates the required smoke test.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I asked because IIRC, Maryland does not have yearly vehicle inspections like other states. The vehicle is inspected when it is sold/reregistered.

Becoming a carb state does not imply retroactive compliance, but it could imply future inspections for adherance to emissions standards under which the older car was sold.