Many more TDIs in craiges list lately

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
I have noticed a nice selection of TDIs in Craigs list for sale. Even the new ones are going on sale. I wonder if people are going more for eco boost crap.:rolleyes:

here2learn

Banned
TDI
Because there's always something newer and better coming out.

There's always people that cannot stand their old 6-month old vehicles and need to one-up their friends new purchases :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
VWoA didn't sell all that many new TDIs up through 2006. Then it didn't sell any in 2007 or 2008. So there are relatively few used one available.

Starting in 2009, there are a lot more new TDIs being sold, and this translates into used ones coming on the market.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
HPFP / DPF Failure Paranoia - That and shifting driving patterns is why I dumped my 2011 with 33.4K miles for a 13 Jetta Hybrid. No more HPFP worries. It seems to deliver close to the same MPG with cheaper fuel (which contains ~30% less energy/unit volume). So the Jetta Hybrid is definitely way more efficient.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The HPFP in a gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine is nothing like the HPFP in a diesel engine. For one thing, "high" pressure for a gasoline direct injection engine is a tenth what "high" pressure is for a diesel engine. For another, the GDI HPFP is a completely different mechanical design.

Having said that, some manufacturers have had HPFP issues with GDI engines also.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
don't the 1.4TSI have a hpfp as well? or did VW build that better than the tdi's?
Here is a link to info on the Jetta Hybrid drive train. I know it's a bit technical but you may find it interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5hw3y6kghtqto7/hybrid%207%20speed%20dsg.pdf?v=1mcis

[Note - Edited link as original link doesn't seem to work anymore]

What this seems to translate to in laymen's language is that the controls dump boost air as part of throttle response to delimit engine torque / power. Most likely this is a control function that is dependent on gear selection. This is probably why boost mode really doesn't play until the transmission has "kicked down".

The DSG I think uses dry clutches rather than wet. Probably not up to the engine torque in the higher gear ranges. It's fair to remember that DSG was really developed for performance cars. Porsche was one of the first to deploy it. Given the green nature of the JH, power delivery is not a priority. The implication is that a dry clutch DSG may be more efficient. It also implies that this DSG was optimized for this engine as a green alternative power train. I have a lot of faith in VW, but have lost faith in Bosch and the future of "clean diesel technology".

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that starting in '09 VW was selling many times more TDIs than in previous years. I read recently they expect to sell 100,000 TDIs this year. If there are 10x plus more being sold, then there are going to be a lot more on CL. And for many Americans an '09 or '10 is an older car.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Great Point - LOL - You always seem to inject reality into the discussions. People do like to drive new paint and trade around. CR TDI's are not perfect cars, but the gobble up road and have high smile factors.
VW seems to be willing to evolve their products and always works toward improvement. A lesson Detroit struggles to emulate. The biggest issue in my opinion is the "not so planned obsolescence" that comes about based on the challenge of maintaining the emission related aspects of vehicle design. It provides competitive advantage for manufactures that can comply, and insures a flow of trades down the road as cost / benefits lean toward getting rid of the vehicle rather than maintaining it. High Complexity = Low DIY Maintainability

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
specsalot: If the clean diesel exhaust system with its DPF is so problematic how do the Europeans deal with it? Don't they have shops that simply clean them out?

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
I'm not familiar with how the problem is managed. According to my brother (living in Thailand), truck stops there run a number of different processes that work to clean up DPF's that are fitted on commercial trucks. It would be interesting to understand this.

I suspect that european owners tend to drive a lot less than US owners. Fuel costs are probably relatively higher there than in the US on a currency adjusted basis. Perhaps some Europeans who monitor this board can chime in here.?.

Anecdotally it seems that lost of folks here are gutting their exhausts. Probably not an acceptable option in Europe. This forum is full of folks who are ahead of the curve. People who solve problems and like to drive with big smiles in tuned cars - Enthusiasts.

Anecdotally DPF issues seem on the rise. VW is moving toward Passat style fuel systems (adblue) which seem (hard to say for sure) to have fewer problems. Mk6 requires much higher regulation of combustion for NOx reduction. Passat systems let the engine breath more and solve the NOx using different chemistry. I believe the DPF issue arises when sensors drift and combustion moves closer to sub-stoic without being detected by the ECM. VW guided fault finding does not seem to be able to address DPF failure issues very effectively. This suggests a failure to really understand the issue. Since Bosch really designs this stuff, they should really be the ones to step up the game and help VW out. But I suspect the HPFP issue has already strained the VW-Bosch business relationship.

I couldn't pull the trigger on tuning and gutting the exhaust at this time, but may re-visit it at some future point when it is clear that tuned and gutted Mk6 cars have staying power.

Last edited:

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
I am originally from the UK, and I know there that you do not need a DPF to be able to pass your MOT (Essentially a yearly inspection that checks your emissions and makes sure your car is road-worthy).
Surprisingly Diesel emission regulations are not as strict as in the UK, and at least according to this article
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Commun...ulate-filters-more-trouble-than-theyre-worth/
poople are just removing them to avoid the cost of cleaning.