Many MAF's

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
My 99.5 Jetta TDI appears to eat MAF's for breakfast and I'm at the point where replacing MAFs doesn't seem like the correct way to clear a CEL.

In the 7 years I've had the car, the first lasted 4 yrs.. subsequently they seem to last anywhere from 1 month to 12 months.

CEL code speaks to MAF showing out of range. The current maf is under a month old. 2 months ago i took the car in because it was smoking out a lot and the mechanic thought the turbo needed replacing, but ended up 'fixing it' by pulling everything apart and cleaning things-- its still smokes sometimes, but much less.

Car has an Upsolute chip i put in when it was 2.. anyone have any good ideas? Another mechanic recommended I check the voltage on all the engine connections.

In GTA area if someone is a brain surgeon on this type of thing and wants to help :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You might want to try a Pierburg instead of Bosch MAF. I find that some cars do eat MAFs and that the Pierburg sometimes solves the problem.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
First, if you have an after-market air filter, switch back to stock. If you already have a stock air filter, confirm that it is properly fitted to keep contamination away from the MAF sensor.

Then, perhaps, squirt a little bit of dielectric grease in the MAF connector. Just a little, then disconnect and reconnect it half a dozen times.