Manual Window Regulator

dapickupman

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I have a 02 Golf TDI with manual windows, some moron tried to break into the car and broke the plastic tabs that hold the window on the regulator. Do they make replacement clips or do I have to order a new regulator? And where in the devil do I find these parts? I have not had a lot of luck looking around the web. Thanks!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Ebay, that's usually where they are, I can't see them being that expensive from the dealer though either.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm pretty sure the power regulator is the same part as the manual regulator ....at least the manual crank assembly bolts to and moves the power regulator up and down.... Also everything appears to be stamped the same

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
NECRO RAISE !!!-

Wanted to bring this back up because I encountered this issue but had some different results in sourcing a repair option

We have an 02 golf 4 door - driver's door window regulator clips broke and it is also a manual window.

jimellisvwparts - a personal favorite site of mine, world impex, ecs, my local KOI - all said the same thing. A repair kit for a mechanical window regulator does not exist. You have to buy a complete new regulator with the metal panel attached (in my case 1J4837729BK for drivers front)

I didn't have the time to do this myself so I took it to a local VW shop who has been good to me and they tried to use the repair kit that has 4 clips and cables. It didn't work. cables were different and the clips used on the mechanical side were different - I visually had to inspect it myself to believe it.

It doesn't make any sense to me because why would they use different set-ups on the interior of the regulator? the mechanical set up should be the exact same as a power set up just minus the motor... So you would think. But if you take a look at this image

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=5214944&ukey_assembly=743414

you will see it points to two different set ups for the power and mechanical regulators. however the rails and regulator parts appear identical.

I still don't believe it as I'm typing this.

cheapest fix? car-part.com or your local pull n save.
quickest? best I can see if buying an entire regulator :(

If anyone can prove to me I'm wrong I would love to hear it, because I'm still dumbfounded that this is my only option to repair these clips.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
I'm pretty sure the power regulator is the same part as the manual regulator ....at least the manual crank assembly bolts to and moves the power regulator up and down.... Also everything appears to be stamped the same
Can you confirm this? You were able to bolt the 3 pronged crank spline piece and turn the regulator in the power version? I'm having a helluva time finding a manual window regulator and to me they look the same even though they have different part numbers. If you can confirm there is indeed the same sprocket gear in the power and manual ones, then the only difference is the attachment method with which the window regulator is operated.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Can you confirm this? You were able to bolt the 3 pronged crank spline piece and turn the regulator in the power version? I'm having a helluva time finding a manual window regulator and to me they look the same even though they have different part numbers. If you can confirm there is indeed the same sprocket gear in the power and manual ones, then the only difference is the attachment method with which the window regulator is operated.
Well, it's been almost ten years since I posted the above reply but I will say at least the crank assembly fits the power regulator. As for it lining up with the crank hole in the door panel I cannot say.