Manual Tune

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
Finishing up the mechanical bits of my manual swap this week. Still need to get the ECU tuning portion of things sorted. I'm pretty happy with current power levels just want to row my own, but the tuner pricing structure makes it such that I'll probably just end up getting a Stage 1 tune while I'm at it. Tempted to just figure it out on my own, but with 10 days until school starts back up looks like I'll just have to suck it up and shell out the $300 to get back on the road.

Anything to commend one tuner over another with regards to either the manual or Stage 1 tunes? Not concerned about power but wouldn't mind a tune that eked out a few extra MPGs as I'll be doing a lot of highway driving now that school has restarted.

I see Malone has an "instant" tune system. Anyone gone that route? It's unclear from their page how that's managed, I assume I'd also need to purchase a tuning dongle from them or can I do it through a VAG-com cable or the like?

If anyone has a used manual tuned ECU I'd be interested in that as well.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I just finished my swap, today I will attempt to start it, so like you I'm ready for the flash. On Marketplace I found a couple of guys who do reflashing but they couldn't handle the 05 passat, we only have a couple of choices that I know of Matt Whitbread, $300 and Malone,$???, it may be more if its not deleted. This is like your printer, the printer is cheap but the ink price will kill you. Let me know what you decide and if I find a cheaper alternative I'll let you know.

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
I went with Malone stage 1 when I tuned for the manual swap. EEN gearbox. Standard Euro DMS Sachs clutch/flywheel. No issues at all.

I too was happy with the original power. The stage 1 is not noticeably different, but with the manual the little bit of extra giddy-up is great. If I get the car out of the mountains fuel economy is low to mid 40's. In the mountains mid to upper 30's. Probably a 10% improvement.

And, yes, you have to buy their flashzilla. The old tune resides on it after installing the new.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a FHN from Frans, it apparently came out of an 01 something or other, what's nice with him he gives you everything you will need to make the switch you just have to figure it out and do the work. I put the battery in and turned on the key, nothing smoked, tomorrow I will start it.:eek:

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
I went with Malone stage 1 when I tuned for the manual swap. EEN gearbox. Standard Euro DMS Sachs clutch/flywheel. No issues at all.
Interesting, that's basically the setup I'm working with right now (DUK instead of EEN), but it doesn't seem to be going together. Looks like there are some raised bosses on the transmission that are fouling on the starter ring gear

Ext290

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
**INSTALLATION NOTE** In a handful of cases (5 out of over 60 sold), a very slight interference has been found at the 5:00 area inside the bell housing. If this issue is found, less than 1/16" needs to be ground off an area smaller than 1 square inch. The case is approximately .225" thick in this area so no strength is sacrificed. The most logical explanation is that multiple sets of molds for the transmission cases were used in production and over the years, some very slight dimensional variances exist in non critical areas.

This is from whitebread 240mm flywheel install, possibly similar issue with your set up?

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
**INSTALLATION NOTE** In a handful of cases (5 out of over 60 sold), a very slight interference has been found at the 5:00 area inside the bell housing. If this issue is found, less than 1/16" needs to be ground off an area smaller than 1 square inch. The case is approximately .225" thick in this area so no strength is sacrificed. The most logical explanation is that multiple sets of molds for the transmission cases were used in production and over the years, some very slight dimensional variances exist in non critical areas.

This is from whitebread 240mm flywheel install, possibly similar issue with your set up?
I think it probably was. Right after I posted I pulled the tranny off again and was looking inside and noticed some metal had been pushed up by the flywheel teeth. I spent some time grinding and sanding. Readjusted the clutch alignment and, while it didn't slip right on, got it slid home just before I had to call it quits for the day.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
TDTuning has a B5.5 manual swap tune, and I think stage 2 is similar price as others charge for stage 1. And it takes care of check engine lights on the manual swap.

I've seen mixed commentary on Malone here for the manual swap. Many folks have mentioned having no problems, no CEL, etc. Others have said the tune works great except the CEL remains on. When I inquired with my local Malone tuner when I was considering a manual swap, he said they didn't have one to offer. And it was the same tuner who did the Stage 1.5 Malone tune on my automatic several years earlier, which I love. So it seems to be all over the map with Malone, perhaps with the particular vendor installing the Malone tune? I dunno.

When I went with Stage 1.5 with my automatic it was a huge huge improvement in driveability and also power and fuel efficiency. Made the car so much more fun to drive. Only reason I didn't go to Stage 2 is the stress on the automatic transmission, but I would love to have the extra bump in power and maintaining the same fuel efficiency (minus lead foot syndrome). I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on the manual swap and the tune and then not spend the few shekels more to get the Stage 2 tune. But that's just me. As they say, YMMV.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Ran Malone on my car for quite a few years without any issue. I like how his mapping drives and the lack of smoke.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Malone tune here, stage two with manual. Bought through Bora,and if I remember correctly he loaned me his flashzilla. It has been a few years. Not a single problem with the swap or the tune.
It was an FHN kit from Franz with a valeo SM flywheel. Doing it over I think I would try a duel mass which might cut down vibration from the delete.
I pulled the engine and tranny to do the work.
My wifes car I pulled the tranny to do the TC. Doing it again I might consider pulling the engine and tranny to do the convertor.

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
It was an FHN kit from Franz with a valeo SM flywheel. Doing it over I think I would try a duel mass which might cut down vibration from the delete.
Swap is all complete and I went with a Sachs 1.9 dual mass kit I imported from the UK. We'll see how it wears since it's a 228mm but I don't regret going with the dual mass (not that I have a single mass to compare it to). My old setup with the automatic, aftermarket CVs and BSM delete really got a nice vibration going at stoplights and this is pretty nice.

Ironically the really big thing I wanted out of a tune doesn't seem to be necessary. At least so far, for my relatively short highway runs, cruise control has engaged and worked fine. Not sure if that's something that will stop working as time goes on or with longer cruise engagement. I have noticed on the highway that twice now the speedometer will stop reading, the cluster LCD will say STOP and the BRAKE lettering will illuminate on my dash. Goes away after 10-20 seconds. I'm guessing that's due to the swap and will require tuning.

That being said the hanging RPMs are annoying and I worry about my synchros and clutch even when I'm granny shifting and remembering to let them drop, so I probably will get a tune in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Malone Stg 2 tune on my manual swapped B5 wagon. No issues. Flashed the car my self with a purchased flashzilla. Cannot be flashed through VCDS

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Dutch auto parts sent me an FHN and whatever parts I would need to complete the swap. The swap is compete the car starts, runs and drives, of course the Odometer is all lit up. Now I have to bite the bullet again which i don't fully understand...auto to manual $124, Misc upgrades $50, have no clue what this upgrade will achieve, immobilizer delete $99, which I don't believe I need and of course the Flashzilla $180 and the vag must change everything from auto to manual. I'm sure I can do it but would need a lot of guidance. So I'm dragging my feet another $600 dollars, crazy, car has no monetary value. Swap went well started right up, no leaks, no stumble but smells horrible. I'm thinking i should have crushed it.

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
At least so far, for my relatively short highway runs, cruise control has engaged and worked fine. Not sure if that's something that will stop working as time goes on or with longer cruise engagement. I have noticed on the highway that twice now the speedometer will stop reading, the cluster LCD will say STOP and the BRAKE lettering will illuminate on my dash. Goes away after 10-20 seconds. I'm guessing that's due to the swap and will require tuning.
I have a swapped car with no tune (yet) and I don't think I have ever encountered this issue. Cruise works fine. Could be a loose connection somewhere?

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
Yeah, very well may have been. I checked the connectors as my reverse lights weren't working and I was taking the car to get inspected. I directly jumpered the connector and they still didn't light, took the taillights apart to check bulbs which were fine. Put it together, and had my mom climb in while I put it back up in the air and miraculously they started working. Speedo has been fine since then too, so *shrug*. I'll take it though.