manual transmission fluid dilemma

reactor

TDI
mk7 sportwagen
Could not find much info on tranny fluid, but ended up trying redline mt-90 40's feels notchy when warms up feels better, afraid how it's going to be in winter, part of the reason went with mt-90 for summer plus towing small camper figured be ok or what would you guys recommend, thanks in advance.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
O.E. VW fluid. You can easily destroy sycros and other internals with the wrong gl rated stuff. Your shifting is already complaining

Serviced @ 70k with o.e.m. VW. Occasional rare mouse towing a house duty. Still drives and shifts like new.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Not sure in these newer gearboxes, but in my mk4 5-speed, the Liqui Moly GL5 70w90 has been great for many km.

Perhaps not al GL5 are created equal.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, $100 every 100-120k miles is dirt cheap PM costs in my opinion. One of my manuals is nearly to 600k miles.... and I TOW with it!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I use in all mine and Customers cars only Factory fluid and chnage every 80k, none of them ever had any problems .
I really do not understand why someone will go anything but factory fluid , they work very good.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
My 2010 MT still has the original oil and it shifts without any issue. But given that it is now 11 year old and it has 276K on the
odometer, I guess I should look into changing the oil soon.

reactor

TDI
mk7 sportwagen
Thanks you all for the suggestions, i've decided to give it another shot to redline MT-LV what they recommended if that give me trouble i'll go oem.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Why ask for our advice if you’re going to disregard it?

While I do believe there is a lot of hyperbole on this message board. A TDI is not the car you want to be buying for forgiving and cheap maintenance. Especially when it comes to lubrication.

Last edited:

reactor

TDI
mk7 sportwagen
Redline seemed to be good towing scamp trailer with gear roughly 1500 miles put on in a week did really well, but i probably will go with Oem don't hear good things in winter for redline even tho it's pretty thin MT-LV, other then that it was great trip car did really well did 70-75 mph and low's was 27 best 31.2 doing the fill measure, weather was super hot where i live had to escape to the coast Olympic National Park (WA).

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks you all for the suggestions, i've decided to give it another shot to redline MT-LV what they recommended if that give me trouble i'll go oem.
I came here to recommend exactly this fluid :D

I had Gear 300 75w90 and found it to be far too notchy when cold and even when warm it was a bit stiff.
MT-LV smoothed things out like butta! :D