Manual trans fluid change?

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I'm at 95k on my 2015 GSW MT and wondering if I need to start thinking about the gearbox fluid?

Anyone deal with this yet on thier mk7's?

I have a BMW motorcycle which the trans fluid is to be changed every 8,000 miles, so I'm confused at the differences in need.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Seems to be the general rule of thumb here is to replace at 100k or every timing belt interval. I would stick with OE fluid, and recommend running your VIN at the dealer for the correct fluid. I ran across two different fluids for the '15s in my experience and the dealer gave me a fluid that was different from ECS tuning at least. idParts site also states this in their lineup of OE fluids for the '15s.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
You certainly won't hurt anything if you replace the oil with a VW-approved equivalent, or, better yet, an OEM oil. On the other hand, if you aren't experiencing any difficulties with shifting or other issues, then why bother? The oil in manual tranny is exposed to significantly less punishing conditions than is the case with automatics. That is the reason why VW requires periodic oil replacements in the DSG, but considers the oil in the manual to be "lifetime" fill. Personally, I wouldn't leave it there indefinitely, but it may still have plenty of life left at only 95k. As far as your BMW bike goes - does the engine have separate oil baths for the engine and the transmission (like your car has), or is there only one oil bath that lubricates both the engine and the transmission (which is the case for vast majority of motorbikes)?

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
You're correct, the bike has separate oil baths.

Does anyone know the trans capacity for the manual, dealership was no help (surprise!)

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I changed mine using VW manual fluid guy behind counter asked for my vin gladly gave it to him. being its a 6speed gearbox
took 2.5 Liters upon draining it was a little dark but nothing out of ordinary im just glad i got the old mystery fluid out of there.
you should be good for 60-80k :)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
A long funnel with clear hose on the end works great for filling. Route the hose down from the top by the airbox (you may need to remove the airbox if the hose isn't long enough) and get the first 2 liters in. Start to watch for drips after you start the last liter and reinstall the fill plug.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Thanks for the input. I'm likely to change it when I hit 100k when I change other fluids and filters

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Hey Larry, I did mine a while ago when I got the car and it took a fair bit more than 3 litres. Although... I did have the nose a little higher than the back end... sooooo.

Fluid is a lot more expensive than the older mk4s thats for sure