Manual swap

Jonrush431

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat 2.0tdi
Hey guys so I got ****ed on buying a car from a dealer with no warranty and auto trans fried in a week of daily driving back and forth to work, looking for honestly cheapest manual swap route I can take to get back on the road for a little until I can afford the car I have my eyes on

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Cheapest? Send ECU off for tune. Buy non running or bad running or wrecked B5 or b5.5 Passat v6 with 5 speed. Get a Matt Whitbread clutch and flywheel kit.

Borrow or buy Ross tech cable to make the needed changes to the car for 5 speed conversion

There are other items you'll likely want to do while in there. Timing belt, possible balance shaft delete. Reseal tandem pump. New rear main seal. New coolant Tee and rear coolant sensor. New thermostat and thermostat housing. Replace snub and motor mounts if they look leaky or worn. Inspect trans mounts for replacement.

If you don't love the car it's not worth it, you'll not get your money back out of it. It's a blast driving a stage 2 tune 5 speed b5.5. comfortable and goes forever on a tank of fuel. You might even be able to convince someone it's a sports car.

B2TDI

TDI
2004 Passat
Is the Ross tech cable still available? I'm currently stuck, I was going to have Malone change the ECU from Auto to Manual, but their reply yesterday was they don't do that any longer. I purchased a 04 Passat tdi bhw to put into my 88 Bronco 2, good thing I inquired about the ecu before buying the conversion kit. I'm dead in the water if I can't change ecu to manual. Any shops near Michigan that can do this? sorry to hijack the post, seemed like a good spot to start. Thanks.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Is the Ross tech cable still available? I'm currently stuck, I was going to have Malone change the ECU from Auto to Manual, but their reply yesterday was they don't do that any longer. I purchased a 04 Passat tdi bhw to put into my 88 Bronco 2, good thing I inquired about the ecu before buying the conversion kit. I'm dead in the water if I can't change ecu to manual. Any shops near Michigan that can do this? sorry to hijack the post, seemed like a good spot to start. Thanks.
I've been trying to get @burpod To do the BHW manual swap tunes... maybe he will soon with everyone dropping out of doing them.
I am going to be manual swapping my BHW Passat wagon, and have a V6 5 speed Passat I will be using as the donor, along with a lift kit and bigger wheels.
I have a Whitbread clutch and flywheel which will be going into it.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I've been trying to get @burpod To do the BHW manual swap tunes... maybe he will soon with everyone dropping out of doing them.
I am going to be manual swapping my BHW Passat wagon, and have a V6 5 speed Passat I will be using as the donor, along with a lift kit and bigger wheels.
i can do it.. just started working on tuning a local BHW swapped jeep :) needs a little bit of work, but not bad for the very first tune. very similar to my BEW tune, just adjustments done to it to account for the bigger injectors, and i believe slightly lower compression ratio...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
i can do it.. just started working on tuning a local BHW swapped jeep :) needs a little bit of work, but not bad for the very first tune. very similar to my BEW tune, just adjustments done to it to account for the bigger injectors, and i believe slightly lower compression ratio...
I'll have mine before too long, though I think I have my 6.5 turbodiesel to build first.

B2TDI

TDI
2004 Passat
There is hope! :) I'm fine with a stock tune, already has more torque than the Bronco 2 trans can apparently handle. Just need the ecu to recognize manual so it doesn't hold rpm's up between shifts is what I have read. Also need Immobilizer turned off & possibly abs. Really hoping cruise would still work but not a huge priority. One thing Malone didn't reply back about, does the ecu need the instrument panel to be able to run? I know some gassers need it, I can always install the Passat panel into the Bronco if needed, looks pretty cool at night. Big question is, can the ECU be sent to you or do you physically need the Passat or truck, your a long drive from Michigan. I pursued this route to be different from the 302/ 4.0 swap guys and the 2.0 runs so good. Any idea's if or where I could find a manual ecu overseas? I haven't dug that far into it yet since the info from Malone. Thanks for the replies.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
There is hope! :) I'm fine with a stock tune, already has more torque than the Bronco 2 trans can apparently handle. Just need the ecu to recognize manual so it doesn't hold rpm's up between shifts is what I have read. Also need Immobilizer turned off & possibly abs. Really hoping cruise would still work but not a huge priority. One thing Malone didn't reply back about, does the ecu need the instrument panel to be able to run? I know some gassers need it, I can always install the Passat panel into the Bronco if needed, looks pretty cool at night. Big question is, can the ECU be sent to you or do you physically need the Passat or truck, your a long drive from Michigan. I pursued this route to be different from the 302/ 4.0 swap guys and the 2.0 runs so good. Any idea's if or where I could find a manual ecu overseas? I haven't dug that far into it yet since the info from Malone. Thanks for the replies.
i would need the ecu sent to me to immobo delete. you can reflash the ecu for a manual trans tune, no problem, as well as deleting any things that may not be present - maf, egr, asv, abs, instument cluster, etc... i don't see any reason why cruise control shouldn't work, as long as all the correct info in the tune is set right, gear ratios, tire size, vss signal is correct, etc.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You can use the Passat gauge cluster. I'm using the Passat cluster in my 87 4 runner.

Few issues with it, the cluster will look for the immobilizer after its deleted from the ECU and will beep/flash. The little screen say immob...etc. you won't have abs so your traction control light will light up. You'll get a light from the seat belts, brake fluid/parking brake sensor, window washer fluid reservoir and won't get the outside temp without those sensors in place. Some of these can be wired in as they are no/NC switches, things like traction control/abs you won't. There may be a guy who can program it to delete out some of this stuff but I've not talked to him about it in detail. My Passat reads mpg pretty good, it doesn't have the MAF sensor deleted. My 4 runner uses only the map and the mpg calculator doesn't work for crap. Not sure if that's the reason but I think MAF may have a lot to do with how accurate it is as I don't think the map or mat sensor updates as quickly . You'll also need to figure out controls to scroll through the display screen if you want to try to keep the display. Again, the guy who programs them might be able to hook you up there.

I covered all these lights with black electrical tape as well as the display panel. My only functional warning lights are glow plug, cel and cruise light. It works great for the speedometer and tach. I use a converter box to make the fuel gauge read properly as they run different ohm ranges from the cluster gauge to the Toyota fuel level sending unit. For the spee I run a universal vss pickup that counts the 4 drive shaft flange bolts on my rear pinion flange. It feeds a converter box I got from fast forward. If your bronco has a cable driven Speedo you might be able to convert it to an electrical pickup, if it's already electric vss you can use that with something from Dakota or maybe other vendor to adjust the signal to feed the Passat ECU/cluster. The Passat ECU will need to see speed for cruise to work

I've not yet been able to get cruise control to work. I have a 5 speed converted Passat and the gear ratios of the dvz are not too far off of the r150f with my gear/tire set up, a few hundred rpms. My cruise doesn't work with either of my custom tuned ecus

My cruise control buttons work properly, my ECU reads the speedo properly, my brake and clutch switch works properly, I've compared my 006 block from the Passat to the 4 runner and both are identical with every function. The Passat works fine but the yota doesn't.

If anyone comes up with a solution for getting cruise control to work let me know!!!

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
David at fast forward has a can to dash. With this interface I don't think you can use the Passat cluster as your K line feeds into it instead of the cluster. I'm not entirely sure it can feed both. If memory serves me correctly it's. Brown/orange line

The can to dash he has uses a jumper box that fools the ECU into thinking it's still seeing VW TDI gear ratios no matter what. The box takes the speedo signal and then feeds the ECU a TDI speed/rpm signal. Not 100% sure this is exactly how it works but it's the best description to my knowledge, been a year or more since I've looked into it . So far he's the only one I'm aware of that's solved the Passat TDI ECU cruise issue. I think it's an ED16 ECU?

At this point I don't want to find an unmodified 4 runner/tuck dash, spend 400 bucks on a gauge cluster with working tach and spend a weekend rewiring.

It would be nice to find out all we need are properly programmed speed/rpms. There are very few times I need cruise in 4th gear, I shift out of 4th at about 55/60. Really depends on how flat it is. 5th in 60 is really close to 2000 rpms and doesn't like much of a grade. In 2024 a posted 60mph highway speed limit means 75mph

B2TDI

TDI
2004 Passat
This is all great info to keep in mind during the swap. VW sure doesn't make it easy to swap things around, unless its the old 1.9. I'll keep digging for info, I've seen some pretty weird things to make a swap work.

yadic

TDI
just looking
Cheapest? Send ECU off for tune. Buy non running or bad running or wrecked B5 or b5.5 Passat v6 with 5 speed. Get a Matt Whitbread clutch and flywheel kit.

Borrow or buy Ross tech cable to make the needed changes to the car for 5 speed conversion

There are other items you'll likely want to do while in there. Timing belt, possible balance shaft delete. Reseal tandem pump. New rear main seal. New coolant Tee and rear coolant sensor. New thermostat and thermostat housing. Replace snub and motor mounts if they look leaky or worn. Inspect trans mounts for replacement.

If you don't love the car it's not worth it, you'll not get your money back out of it. It's a blast driving a stage 2 tune 5 speed b5.5. comfortable and goes forever on a tank of fuel. You might even be able to convince someone it's a sports car to Deck Builder Mukilteo.
Since i’ve decided to keep my car, I’m gonna swap a manual tranny into my car and get rid of the auto. Now, I know most of what to buy, but my only question is selecting a manual tranny.

Now, I can go realoem and look at part numbers, but since there’s a lot of options, which tranny should I select that doesn’t have a lot of problems? I know that the earlier transmissions had problems with reverse, but i’m sure it’s been changed since then.

And looking through realoem, I noticed that there was sequential manual transmissions that were classified as a manual tranny, but I thought sequential transmissions were automatic, where you flick the little pads on the wheel or the gear selector to shift.

I must just be stupid, but if someone could tell me which one has the least amount of problems, or problems that aren’t significant.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
For the cheapest solution, buy a wrecked V6 B5 Passat with a manual tranny. You’ll have everything you’d need—tranny, mounts, gear selector, pedals, etc. The gearing will be lower than optimal, but closer to what a Tdi should have than the 1.8T gearing. No manual TDI B5 Passats were sold here.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The one with the lowest miles should in theory have the least amount of issues. The cheapest will be any 1998-2005 Passat v6 5 speed transmission sourced here in the USA. It will have every nut and bolt you need. There was a shifter upgrade sometime around 1999.

If sourcing a proper TDI 5 speed from Europe you'll spend more money, Franz is the guy.

Keep in mind the youngest of the b5.5 transmissions are going to be near 25 years old. I was in much better shape 25 years ago as well.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
For the cheapest solution, buy a wrecked V6 B5 Passat with a manual tranny. You’ll have everything you’d need—tranny, mounts, gear selector, pedals, etc. The gearing will be lower than optimal, but closer to what a Tdi should have than the 1.8T gearing. No manual TDI B5 Passats were sold here.
I'm slow

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Check out Cascade German. I believe they sell a manual tranny with quite a few of the required parts.

MrRobogoat

TDI
2004 Passat TDI Wagon, 2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Since i’ve decided to keep my car, I’m gonna swap a manual tranny into my car and get rid of the auto. Now, I know most of what to buy, but my only question is selecting a manual tranny.

Now, I can go realoem and look at part numbers, but since there’s a lot of options, which tranny should I select that doesn’t have a lot of problems? I know that the earlier transmissions had problems with reverse, but i’m sure it’s been changed since then.

And looking through realoem, I noticed that there was sequential manual transmissions that were classified as a manual tranny, but I thought sequential transmissions were automatic, where you flick the little pads on the wheel or the gear selector to shift.

I must just be stupid, but if someone could tell me which one has the least amount of problems, or problems that aren’t significant.
For the best gear ratios, you're going to need to import from Europe. The DFN or GGB has the longest fifth gear. I can't say how much worse it is to use the V6 gearbox since I haven't driven one, but I will say that the DFN / GGB gearbox has way nicer ratios than the Mk4 ever got over here. If you're up for doing the job twice, starting with a V6 gasser parts car is 100% the move, since it will have everything you need, you can recoup some by selling parts, and then put in a euro box at a later date (they are getting a little thin on the ground, took me a month to get mine earlier this year).

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Using the v6 DVZ transmission 75mph will be about 3000rpms. Not ideal if you are on a daily highway commute.

When my mom lived 5 hours away I'd net 41-43 mpg on the way to the beach and back. That's pretty level ground most of the way. On road trips to Tennessee where I have to cross the Appalachian(hills compared to you west coast guys). I'd still get about the same.

Around town it was 35-36, mostly city traffic.

Averaged over about 4 years.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Why is everybody dropping out of this work? There seems to be more of them than ever lately. I've got 3 planned.