Mann Provent 200 Install B4 Passat

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
Check it out:

Yes, I know not the world's greatest install... Hokey zap straps to hold the filter to the upper intercooler pipe, fairly stable. After the install, I ran the engine for few minutes to make sure nothing was getting rubbed too close with other critical lines/hoses/parts.... Six days, and no problems yet. Of course, will need more time to evaluate for problems. (hopefully not!) EGR disabled at the same time, note the golf tee. I cleaned the intake at the beginning of last month, about ~2,000Kms since the intake cleaning. Let's just say I never wanna do the intake cleaning again!

thanks to jddaigle and his pdf document on the install, this is obviously a different chassis, but document was still helpful.

I haven't checked if the engine cover will fit, probably won't -- but I really don't care -- haven't had it on since I bought my Passat over a year & half ago...

lastly, sorry for bad grammar, in rush to post this, have to run...

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Thanks Grimlock! I am wondering how effective this will be though since the crankcase is still venting to the intake via the puck. I would think that would be where the oil is coming from? Just wondering.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Stan,
It venting from the puck to the Mann Provent, then to the crankcase.

Good job Grimlock! Looks just like my Eclipse setup. Not a lot of room to add options under the hood. Where I first located mine, it interfered with the tranny linkage. Then I moved it to a similiar location like yours. My cover does fit okay. Again, good job!
Oh, I un-disabled my EGR. Should not make any difference with the Provent or the Eclipse seperators. No more oil going to the intake, just fumes, and no more intake gunk.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Stan, you are correct in thinking that the oil gets into the intake through the puck, but the ProVent has some filter media and uses the velocity drop due to an increase in area to allow the oil to fall out of the vapors, all of which should keep the crankcase ventilated but the intake dry.

SilverTDIGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI
Nice! I like the way you kept 90° bends to a minimum.
Let us know how the zap straps hold up.
Also, it looks as the in and out pipes from the ProVent can help stabilize the filter if in the odd event the zapstrap fails.
Thanks for sharing!