MAN 600 mm Bore Exhaust Valve

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Was not sure if this applies to this thread, but I thought that some might find the size comparison interesting. This is a MAN (technically owned by VW...) 600 mm bore exhaust valve from a slow speed diesel engine on a Chevron tanker next to my Golf. I have other photos if interested, as some of these engines surpass 900 mm bore and a 3 meter stroke length. Cheers

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Was not sure if this applies to this thread, but I thought that some might find the size comparison interesting. This is a MAN (technically owned by VW...) 600 mm bore exhaust valve from a slow speed diesel engine on a Chevron tanker next to my Golf. I have other photos if interested, as some of these engines surpass 900 mm bore and a 3 meter stroke length. Cheers

How do you lap them valves? :)
My uncle used to work for Wärtsilä Diesel, don't know if they have anything as big as that but IIRC he mentioned enginges with a 300mm+ bore and over 400mm stroke...

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
How do you lap them valves? :)
My uncle used to work for Wärtsilä Diesel, don't know if they have anything as big as that but IIRC he mentioned enginges with a 300mm+ bore and over 400mm stroke...
Each ship has a valve grinding machine that is set up for the particular installation. Typically these valves will get burned out on the bottom before they require grinding, often at 50,000 hours or when the piston rings become worn (at 150 bar Pmax and higher, this seems to be the new norm). The small diffuser seen on the valve stem helps to spin the valve with exhaust gasses for even wear. Hope this answers your question, cheers

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Any idea of how one might get ahold of a worn out/used one of these? What a conversation piece that would be in the shop lol.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Each ship has a valve grinding machine that is set up for the particular installation. Typically these valves will get burned out on the bottom before they require grinding, often at 50,000 hours or when the piston rings become worn (at 150 bar Pmax and higher, this seems to be the new norm). The small diffuser seen on the valve stem helps to spin the valve with exhaust gasses for even wear. Hope this answers your question, cheers
That's pretty sweet, are they 2-stroke engines with exhaust valves or 4-stroke? You mentioned you have more pictures, I'm sure everyone is interested in seeing stuff like this.
I used to work as a mechanic on the railways here in Sweden and the biggest engine I came in contact with was a 12-cyl version of this :
EMD 645 - Wikipedia powering a locomotive called T44: SJ T44 - Wikipedia
Still miss the sound of them...

Any idea of how one might get ahold of a worn out/used one of these? What a conversation piece that would be in the shop lol.
That would be awesome! Maybe an injector as well. Or a piston ring. Or any part really :)

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
It's a bit tough to get your hands on these types of things if you don't know someone that works in the shipping industry or you don't yourself. Also, companies tend to keep a very limited stock of used parts, as most go off to be inspected or scrapped depending on the circumstances. If you know any port engineers or longshoresmen, you might be able to find some pretty cool stuff

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
That's pretty sweet, are they 2-stroke engines with exhaust valves or 4-stroke? You mentioned you have more pictures, I'm sure everyone is interested in seeing stuff like this.
I used to work as a mechanic on the railways here in Sweden and the biggest engine I came in contact with was a 12-cyl version of this :
EMD 645 - Wikipedia powering a locomotive called T44: SJ T44 - Wikipedia
Still miss the sound of them...

That would be awesome! Maybe an injector as well. Or a piston ring. Or any part really :)
That's awesome! I'm currently job hunting, but will most likely end up on one of these tankers in the near future. My brother works on ferries equipped with EMDs; hard to dispute their reliability and simplicity. This particular valve is from a two stroke crosshead engine, and uses uniflow scavenging. Air enters through inlet ports and exhausts out of a single exhaust valve that can be cam, spring, or hydraulically actuated. I'll add some other photos at some point, I have two 900 mm piston rings somewhere. Cheers

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
By request, here is a 900 mm Burmeister & Wain Piston and Rod assembly. The assembly itself weighs about 12 tons, and measures around 20 feet in length (the rod extending through the deck). In the background is a spare cylinder liner, where you can just make out the inlet ports.

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
12 tons :giggle:
Had more piston rings than I thought.
My first thought too. The higher number mainly has to do with preventing products of combustion blowing into the scavenge ports and intake trunk. These engines have completely separate cylinder lubrication and crankcase lubrication systems (even different oils with different weights, TBN, additives etc.) and so separation of these systems is more critical.

TDNation

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Check out this WinGD diesel. 960mm Bore, 2500mm Stroke...
It's pretty wild how big they can get, I'll probably never get to sail on a 96 as they are mostly on foreign flagged vessels, particularly Maersk. Should be interesting how the fleet evolves, definitely in the direction of smaller displacement and higher PMax. Cheers