Malone stage 4 and consistant hot IAT

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, so for the past year or so I've noticed that just regular driving my car, my iat is typically 30-40f hotter than ambient. Today ambient was about 97f, and my scan gauge showed IAT consistently at 149f while cruising at 45. Not romping on it at all.
I have a taco taco smic and 1.8t pancake pipe. Rest of piping is all stock. Any ideas?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I installed a vented one about a year ago, forgot to mention.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BHW intake with Malone adapter, stock air box, stock turbo inlet pipe.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Does it feel laggy or low on boost? If not maybe try another sensor to see if it’s correct, if you haven’t

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On occasion it definitely feels laggy, but boost is always spot on. Seems like some days it has less power, other days it has full power.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Guessing here that if you went to custom alloy hard pipes and went up a size for the turbo>intercooler and ic>intake they might radiate more heat, thus lowering temps a bit. Mind you, running with 100f ambient temps is going to be hard to get the temps down. I suppose this is where water injection comes in, lol, or a mist of water to the face of the IC.
Something hooked up to the windshield washers perhaps? Or a seperate unit wired to the aforesaid washer circuit?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The turbo inlet pipe is stock. The pipe going from charge air cooler to intake is stock. Only intake mods have been BHW intake, upgraded smic, and 1.8t pancake pipe. It was cooler today, drove my car to the store and back, it was fine then. But this has been a big intermittent issue.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
what does stage 4 mean? what hardware changes have been made? Nozzles and turbo.
If you drive around at 45, can you log from 01-04-07 and same conditions 03-08-11?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At wot max boost is 23.5psi. I have a vnt17 and 1019 injectors.
Just city driving, not stop and go, but varying speed from 35-45 my iat will slowly creep up to anywhere from 20-40f hotter than ambient.

I'll drive my car into work today, it's a 14 mile trip, plus I'm going to go over to Cascade German for some parts in the evening. I'll monitor ambient and iat and report back.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Just driving normally around 45 MPH I am typically about 20 to 40 degrees over ambient depending on hills or not etc

Pushing it I have seen temps as high as 230 briefly (I lifted off). I have also seen 190 after a hard pull to 60 MPH. Ambient typically no higher than 90 to 95 or so.

Sitting still for long times? , I am not sure but will check next time I do.

FWIW - My intercooler is upgraded SMIC but the shroud would not fit on so I am shroudless .... I will work on fixing that situation tho

Andrew

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Your numbers do not seem all that out of normal based on my experience.
I have had my scangage in front of my face for hundreds of thousands of miles.

IAT should track exactly (not linearly) with boost. More boost = more compression of air = more heat = higher IAT. I have definitely seen IAT hit 230+ jamming up a big hill.

Flat, straight, freeway speed, I usually see something under 2 lbs boost and IAT is roughly 20 over ambient.....its really hard to tell when you are truly on flat ground and at constant speed. Head and tailwind will also affect this.

What is interesting, is something like a dragging brake would cause the engine to work a little harder, little more boost, a little higher IAT...a little lower MPG.

Just food for thought

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I appreciate the input. I've checked a handful of times for sticking brakes, all are good.
On my way into work this morning, my IAT was on average around 20f hotter than ambiant, but I noticed a jump to 30f above, when coasting down a hill in 4th at 45mph. Like was at 20f above at the top of the hill, downshifted to use the engine to slow me down, and then it shot up ten degrees.
I'll watch it when I leave.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, on my way home from cascade German, a 30 mile trip, my IAT was generally 20f over, however in the areas that was stop and go traffic it got as high as 50 over. Was not gunning it each time traffic started moving. I get it that there's no air flow when you're barely moving, but 50 over seems like a lot.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
Is it a lot of effort to rebuild the SMIC series? To check if your cooler is working at all. If the temperatures are better with the series SMIC, you know that your current cooler is junk.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you mean series smic? I have a handful of stock tdi smic's sitting around that just need cleaned that are in serviceable shape, I have a taco taco in from tunemyeuro.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
I just thought that the current intercooler does not have a quirk and does not cool properly. Even at 23.5psi, a maximum of 55 ° can be achieved with this cooler. Or is the temperature better at full load than at part load?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At a full load, temperature definitely spikes, usually about 30-40 higher than ambient. But it takes a long time to cool back off.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anything I can do to help with that?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I remember reading someone’s experiment with intercoolers on Mk4’s and there was something about the thicker IC that was negative. I don’t remember exactly, but I’m wondering if it was that it didn’t cool off quickly once heat soaked

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Really? (Thicker intercooler heat soaking). Following then because I’ve got my eye on that Kerma bigger intercooler. I’m also gonna toss in a vented fender liner while I’m at it.

James

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
To reduce intake temps ( by making the intercooler more efficient like by using a vented wheel liner) I have often wondered why the stock shroud for the intercooler seems to look like a a backward funnel .... smaller in the front opening then flaring bigger when connecting to the intercooler itself.

The intercooler shroud seems like it should be designed like a funnel with a big wide mounth towards the front of the car tapering smaller towards the face of the intercooler itself .... any ideas why it is not that way ??

I guess some shroud is better than none tho....

Andrew.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do have the shroud in place, it's sizing didn't make sense to me either, but if it keeps air going through the cooler rather than around it....

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I did my standard 40 mile commute this morning a watched the scan-gage with you in mind.
Ambient temperature: 55F and high humidity (marine layer)
IAT sat at around 72 for most of the drive, jumping to 85 going up the big hill on the way to work
Boost on flat level ground at freeway speeds was usually just under 2psi

IAT comes up once im no longer moving, and comes back down once moving again

Conclusion...your numbers seem a little higher and the larger spikes are not surprising given you are running Stage4....more boost, more fuel, more heat.

Again, just another datapoint...