Malone Stage 3.5 on 2.0 CR

Lilryan

TDI
2014 Golf
Just looking for anyone that has done this to their vehicle. I have a 14 Golf DSG and was looking at getting this done. Running the Stage 2 now, but wanted to do the CR170 swap with the tune. Are there any issues people have seen running that setup with the DSG? Or anything else I should be aware of? This is my daily commuter. I was hoping to maintain my reliability but have a nice increase in power.

Thanks
Ryan

extreme202

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Just looking for anyone that has done this to their vehicle. I have a 14 Golf DSG and was looking at getting this done. Running the Stage 2 now, but wanted to do the CR170 swap with the tune. Are there any issues people have seen running that setup with the DSG? Or anything else I should be aware of? This is my daily commuter. I was hoping to maintain my reliability but have a nice increase in power.

Thanks
Ryan
I am running stage 3.5 on my car and i daily drive it and i have a DSG with Malone DSG tune. Love the increase in power from stage 2. You will defiantly enjoy it!

Lilryan

TDI
2014 Golf
Do you experience any flywheel shutter? What exhaust are you running? Is your downpipe just a straigt pipe? I was going to run a resonator on the downpipe to help with noise.

Ryan

extreme202

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Do you experience any flywheel shutter? What exhaust are you running? Is your downpipe just a straigt pipe? I was going to run a resonator on the downpipe to help with noise.

Ryan
Yes a little if you keep it in drive. I just drive it in sport mode if im going to step on it. They said the shutter isnt bad tho. I am running the buzzken Exhaust with a full straight pipe

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
The clutches holding power remains the same in all modes. The shudder is from the dual mass flywheel's limits being exceeded at peak torque which is around 2,000rpm. There is a vibration (shudder) from the springs on the DMF it will eventually fail if not avoided.

By using sport mode you just "drive around" the issue by not going WOT under 2,000rpm.

Lilryan

TDI
2014 Golf
I gotcha. Thanks for explaining that. I wasn't sure how it worked. The car holds gears too long if I use sport mode now. It runs out of breath up top.

abnav8r

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2010 Golf TDI, 2013 Passat TDI
Just got my 2013 Passat with DSG back with the 3.5 Malone tune. DPF, EGR delete. Straight down pipe. No resonator or high flow CAT. Kept stock muffler.
The good: runs like a raped ape!!! :) WOW! Pulls crazy hard. Only put about 20 miles on it, and was somewhat restricted on the "fun" due to road conditions, but again, WOW.
The bad: None that I know. That said, I definitely experienced flywheel shudder, even in sport mode. It happened when going up a bit of a grade and I accelerated hard enough to "pull", but not hard enough to cause the DSG to downshift. I'm moderately concerned with this, but only because I don't want to cause any premature failures. I should mention that I have 60k on the car. I believe I can learn to drive around the circumstance that causes the flywheel shudder issue.
Shout out to PD Autowerks (Winchester, VA) and owner Jeremy Hoover, Mark Malone and Andrew of fixmyvw.
Jeremy stated all the parts bolted right up with absolutely no issues, and Mark's tune was perfect first time. EGT's are low, fuel economy seems up. I experienced instant MPG readings of 66 on flat road at 85 mph. (Ya, I know that's exceeding the limit!)
Seems like a good return on investment

Last edited:

A05C

TDI
Has anyone done the 3/3.5 on a Manual transmission'd car? I'm holding out to do the clutch and turbo swap until the Stage 4 is available. Trying to see if it would hold a stage 3 tune on the stock clutch.

Don't mean to hijack. I apologize

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
currently 99 beetle and 2011 335d
It's easy to make the clutch unhappy with just a tune, on a completely otherwise stock car. (stock turbo, dpf installed, etc.)

It's no contest with when you get the turbo upgraded, clutch work is MANDATORY and if you do not upgrade it will force you to soon anyway. This has been my experience. Maybe 1 out of 10 are able to get by for while, or else the tune needs to be dialed back a lot if you want to use the stock clutch with an upgrade turbo.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Has anyone done the 3/3.5 on a Manual transmission'd car? I'm holding out to do the clutch and turbo swap until the Stage 4 is available. Trying to see if it would hold a stage 3 tune on the stock clutch.

Don't mean to hijack. I apologize
My Golf is a Manual with a Stage 3.5+ tune. I think the + is because of the CP3 pump I installed, but not exactly sure. I went Stage 2 at 120,000 miles, and Stage 3 at 140,000 miles. Then got bumped up to 3.5+ at TDIFest in September. I'm at 164,000 miles now. The clutch has been holding up fine. I thought I felt it slip a couple months ago, but it hasn't done it since. Must have just spun the tires. Definitely has flywheel shudder if you lug it too hard in the higher gears, but there isn't a reason to drive it like that anyway. I do plan to replace the clutch most likely next spring, just haven't decided which clutch to go with yet. If you plan to go Stage IV, I'd say you would most definitely need an upgraded clutch.

A05C

TDI
My Golf is a Manual with a Stage 3.5+ tune. I think the + is because of the CP3 pump I installed, but not exactly sure. I went Stage 2 at 120,000 miles, and Stage 3 at 140,000 miles. Then got bumped up to 3.5+ at TDIFest in September. I'm at 164,000 miles now. The clutch has been holding up fine. I thought I felt it slip a couple months ago, but it hasn't done it since. Must have just spun the tires. Definitely has flywheel shudder if you lug it too hard in the higher gears, but there isn't a reason to drive it like that anyway. I do plan to replace the clutch most likely next spring, just haven't decided which clutch to go with yet. If you plan to go Stage IV, I'd say you would most definitely need an upgraded clutch.
Are you on the OE sized turbo? CR170? 90?

That's my dilemma, I'm wanting to go past my stage 2 setup right now but don't really want to have to put a clutch in it unless its necessary. I'm also going to be budgeting for the CP3 upgrade, so if it's going to come apart.. It's going to come apart once, not several times.

:cool:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Are you on the OE sized turbo? CR170? 90?

That's my dilemma, I'm wanting to go past my stage 2 setup right now but don't really want to have to put a clutch in it unless its necessary. I'm also going to be budgeting for the CP3 upgrade, so if it's going to come apart.. It's going to come apart once, not several times.

:cool:
The CR170 turbo.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The clutches holding power remains the same in all modes. The shudder is from the dual mass flywheel's limits being exceeded at peak torque which is around 2,000rpm. There is a vibration (shudder) from the springs on the DMF it will eventually fail if not avoided.

By using sport mode you just "drive around" the issue by not going WOT under 2,000rpm.
I presume by using tiptronic mode, we shouldn't have that problem? I've always shifted my car manually since I bought it, having never found the need for D or S (didn't properly know how to drive a stick when I bought the JSW, but I do now).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Do any of y'all use EGT gauge/probes? I'm still on my Stage 3, but I want to get a Stage 3.5 in the next week or two.

Also, about how much does the CP3 upgrade cost? I'm contemplating doing that or the stock HPFP replacement anyways when I get my next TB change, more as preventive maintenance.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I presume by using tiptronic mode, we shouldn't have that problem? I've always shifted my car manually since I bought it, having never found the need for D or S (didn't properly know how to drive a stick when I bought the JSW, but I do now).
Yup, that's what I do most of the time with mine. It took a few days of learning that sometimes you need to downshift to avoid that part of the powerband in 5th/6th but at this point it's second nature.

I've also heard that if you're concerned about it just tell your tuner and they can have Malone reduce peak tq a little so that it just doesn't happen. Now that OBD tuning is available this might be something I pursue, I just didn't want to make the hike back to the shop I use for a minor tune adjustment.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I have a Pacific Performance pyrometer plumbed into the egt 1 location in the manifold. Works great. It registers to 2000F. I destroyed the stock g235 sensor in that location about a week after going stage 3.5. I have yet to see temps above 1700F. You should contact Andrew in regards to the CP3 kit pricing.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have a Pacific Performance pyrometer plumbed into the egt 1 location in the manifold. Works great. It registers to 2000F. I destroyed the stock g235 sensor in that location about a week after going stage 3.5. I have yet to see temps above 1700F. You should contact Andrew in regards to the CP3 kit pricing.
Thanks. I spoke with Andrew and got preliminary pricing, although it hasn't been finalized by 2micron. Andrew said somewhere in the range of $1500 (but don't quote me on that). I'm not planning to upgrade until my next TB change, in about 12-16 months (assuming my HPFP makes it that long).

I'm actually contemplating skipping the pryometer until I can figure out exactly all I need. Andrew was saying if I'm consistently doing 130mph, I'll need it. While I'll do some WOT, I seldom go over 85mph (which is usually on cruise on the highway when the speed limit is 80mph). Correct me if I'm wrong, but he also stated that the ECU will restrict fuel delivery if EGT goes over a certain threshold.

In either case, what all would I need in addition to the pyrometer to make it work?

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yup, that's what I do most of the time with mine. It took a few days of learning that sometimes you need to downshift to avoid that part of the powerband in 5th/6th but at this point it's second nature.
I usually shift over 3000, but don't give WOT until I'm above 2000, because I think the stock turbo really starts spooling around 1800 if I'm not mistaken, and maybe a little higher for the CR170 I got now.

I have noticed a vibrating sound lately around idle just after letting the brakes off. It sounds like window rattle from a subwoofer (that I don't have), but I can't figure out where exactly the sound is coming from. Sounds like it's behind or under me, but not in the engine compartment.
I've also heard that if you're concerned about it just tell your tuner and they can have Malone reduce peak tq a little so that it just doesn't happen. Now that OBD tuning is available this might be something I pursue, I just didn't want to make the hike back to the shop I use for a minor tune adjustment.
I might have to contemplate buying a Flashzilla in that case, but that won't happen this month.

A05C

TDI
Do any of y'all use EGT gauge/probes? I'm still on my Stage 3, but I want to get a Stage 3.5 in the next week or two.

Also, about how much does the CP3 upgrade cost? I'm contemplating doing that or the stock HPFP replacement anyways when I get my next TB change, more as preventive maintenance.
He sent me a quote through email at $1450. That's including one of his filter kits as well. It seems like a no brainer upgrade to me, to fix a known problem.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
He sent me a quote through email at $1450. That's including one of his filter kits as well. It seems like a no brainer upgrade to me, to fix a known problem.
With the filter, that's not too too bad, but not something I'll be doing until I redo the TB (since I think that comes off anyways when you change the HPFP).

If you get it done, do keep us all updated of the results!

A05C

TDI
With the filter, that's not too too bad, but not something I'll be doing until I redo the TB (since I think that comes off anyways when you change the HPFP).

If you get it done, do keep us all updated of the results!
There's a thread on here about the install and information, I believe its in the vendors area.

It'll be a little bit before I'm ready to do it, gotta get a clutch to go align with the planned upgrades here soon.

Lilryan

TDI
2014 Golf
I just read through that thread. I am really tempted to do it too. Just not sure I can swing that much right now after laying down the money for the stage 3.5 parts. I still want to do a Fluidampr and a race pipe too. That will be about the end of my engine modifications. It's still my daily driver so I like the idea of using OEM parts and not getting too crazy. The cr170 goes on this week. I'll start a new thread when I get it back with my opinions.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
There's a thread on here about the install and information, I believe its in the vendors area.
By 2micron, right? I just wanted to see if anyone commented on it who's actually using it on a daily driver.

I just read through that thread. I am really tempted to do it too. Just not sure I can swing that much right now after laying down the money for the stage 3.5 parts. I still want to do a Fluidampr and a race pipe too. That will be about the end of my engine modifications. It's still my daily driver so I like the idea of using OEM parts and not getting too crazy. The cr170 goes on this week. I'll start a new thread when I get it back with my opinions.
We're all eager to hear about your opinions afterwards. I know going to Stage 3 alone for me was pretty dang awesome.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing for an EGT probe/gauge? I'm still fixing to do the 3.5 upgrade next week, but still hung up on what gauge I want to monitor EGT when doing hard pulls.

A05C

TDI
By 2micron, right? I just wanted to see if anyone commented on it who's actually using it on a daily driver.

We're all eager to hear about your opinions afterwards. I know going to Stage 3 alone for me was pretty dang awesome.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing for an EGT probe/gauge? I'm still fixing to do the 3.5 upgrade next week, but still hung up on what gauge I want to monitor EGT when doing hard pulls.
Yep that's the thread I was referring to

Lilryan

TDI
2014 Golf

I haven't decided what the best way to do that would be. I like the idea of using the Polar FIS as far as a clean look. I am not sure it would work yet with the changes you make for the egt sensors. I wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger on it. If it does work, I would go that route. If not, than I will just go with the old school analog gauge.