Malone Stage 2 Tune

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I really want to pull the trigger on the Malone Stage 2 tune for my 2015 Golf that extra torque sounds like it will be fun to have; but I'm reserved on a couple of things. The Golf has the DSG, had the phase 2 fix at about 45k miles, and at 60k miles on the odometer now. My dealer didn't install a new DPF during the phase 2 fix. If I do get the tune, I'll purchase the FlashZilla unit and download/upload the tunes. I will also not be performing any hardware mods or deletes... just the Stage 2 tune. With that said, I have a couple of questions.

1) For Smog testing in California (only every 2 years now in my county), do I have to bring the ECU back to a stock tune or can I leave the Stage 2 tune installed?

2) For warranty purposes, if I bring the ECU back to a stock tune using the FlashZilla, will VW know the car has had the Malone Stage 2 tune previously installed? I would like to keep the emissions warranty in play because as you all know, it covers a lot of equipment and for a long time/miles.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I would direct your question about emissions to Malone unless someone here has experience. I have Kerma, which is advertised as emissions compliant, and I did not flash back to stock for my emissions test, no issues. If Malone is advertising the tune as emissions compliant I would expect it to pass. If it doesn't you can always ask them about it but you can also flash back to stock, then drive until readiness is set and then get it smogged.

Yes VW will know. If it's anything engine/drivetrain/emissions related I would expect them to deny warranty. They might not but if you tune you should operate under the assumption that warranty on those things will be denied.

That being said, if they find something else mechanical that has an issue, not based on a warning light that requires them to scan the car, they will probably cover it. My car has been tuned since before the 10K service and they replaced a wheel bearing at my 30k service. I only know they replaced it because I saw it on the invoice, no charge. But diagnosing a bad wheel bearing is purely mechanical.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I basically had a new system after the fix on my mk6 JSW. With only 2 years left on the emmisions, chances were the "fix" wouldnt QUIT kill the $2k DPF, leaving me to pay. I pulled the trigger on a Karma and have been amazed at how soot free it runs! At this rate the DPF should outlast VWs original claim of 100k + miles... Easily... Is rather have a clean running, reliable and long lasting car.The MINISCULE hydrocarbon reduction that was achieved at the cost to an already ultra clean running TDI is counter intuitive to most "greener than thous". I say they can follow my DPFless E350 up the grapevine.:p

Your mk7 has more at stake the. Tough call.

Last edited:

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Yes VW will know. If it's anything engine/drivetrain/emissions related I would expect them to deny warranty. They might not but if you tune you should operate under the assumption that warranty on those things will be denied.
Dang, that's what I was worried about. My search came across this possibility, but I couldn't find a definite answer like in the VWVortex form; thanks for the link nathanso!

When I contacted Malone, I stated that I'm "trying to keep my warranty in play." However, they didn't address my warranty concerns in their reply.

Thanks for the replies and Happy Holiday to you all!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Given that you want have the DSG, I'd recommend giving the Malone DSG tune a try first; that should allow you to keep the extended emissions warranty valid.
If I had to choose between one of the two tunes, I'd go with the DSG tune every day of the week - you get to enjoy the benefits of it (simply put: it shifts when I would be shifting if I had a 6MT) every single time you pull out of the driveway. No more lugging around town at 35mph in 5th gear at 1100rpm.

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
will VW know the car has had the Malone Stage 2 tune previously installed? I would like to keep the emissions warranty in play because as you all know, it covers a lot of equipment and for a long time/miles.
Modern ECM's record the number of times they've been flashed.

Lot's of GTI hot-bois run into the TD1 flag eventually. It's a gamble.
For small warranty stuff, you can skirt by. But for major work, because VW is so congnizant of the tuning culture, you're gambling.

There's a reason "pedal boxes" have become so popular as a mod in the truck scene.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
2011 mk6 6m with Karma non Deere.

Just fan my 1st Ca. biannual smog...

PASS ZERO issues