Malone stage 1/rawtek dpf/egr delete review!

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Finally got it done! Been driving the car for a couple days now, here are my first impressions-
Background -
2011 JSW TDI 6SP, 193K miles
Bought car with 87k, right after its dieselgate fix, so it had the full extended emissions warranty(54k mi.)
Parts replaced under emissions warranty:
4 glow plugs
Intercooler
Intake manifold
Dpf
NOx cat
Cylinder head

Repairs since warranty expired:
HPFP, and therefore entire fuel system :(

So after over 100k of owning this car, finally did the delete/stage 1 tune, straight pipe, and...
IT'S FREAKING AWESOME!
acceleration is so much better, and it revs so much easier- i've been over-blipping the throttle on the downshifts the last couple days cause it revs so quickly now.
The torque curve didn't really change, but there's more of it, so it's just better throughout the Rev range.

Major con so far is the exhaust smell. If I knew how obnoxious it was going to be, I would have gotten the high-flow cat with my kit, and I'm going to definitely get one with the proceeds from the sale of my dpf and factory cats.

More to come, but I have to go to work.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Interesting - so, does this car now have any catalyst at all?

I have a pre-DPF '05 passat, and have kept all originally equipped emissions equipment. I have followed de-catted TDI jettas and passats, and have found the fumes to be intolerable, epecially up hill (high load). knowing the post-deiselgate DPF lack-of-longevity on these cars, I see the desire to simplify. I wonder if there is a version out there which could address the DPF issues, yet retain a NOx catalyst.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting - so, does this car now have any catalyst at all?

I have a pre-DPF '05 passat, and have kept all originally equipped emissions equipment. I have followed de-catted TDI jettas and passats, and have found the fumes to be intolerable, epecially up hill (high load). knowing the post-deiselgate DPF lack-of-longevity on these cars, I see the desire to simplify. I wonder if there is a version out there which could address the DPF issues, yet retain a NOx catalyst.
Definitely getting rawtek's high-flow cat after I sell my dpf and cats. Should make it much more tolerable.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
More impressions- the torque band seems to have expanded upward- before, it seemed like there was way more resistance to the throttle pedal. Now it just zzzzings past 3000rpm in gear, with speed building the whole time, where before, spinning the revs past like 2800rpm seemed pointless.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I wonder if there is a version out there which could address the DPF issues, yet retain a NOx catalyst.
I just removed the internals from the DPF and kept the remainder of the exhaust including the factory cat which sits upstream of the DPF. The EGR has a blanking plate installed. There is less smell than my BEW, sound is near stock, highway economy can be less than 5 l/100km and I think I can almost spin tires in a 2nd gear rollon.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
More impressions- I didn't opt for a resonator, and I haven't noticed the highway drone that people talk about when you remove it. At least not from the driver's seat. The exhaust note from the tailpipe resembles the hissing sound the car used to make when the dpf was doing a regen, if that makes any sense. Not a very good sound. I wonder if removing the muffler and going with the full catback exhaust would make a better sound...

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
First gas mileage reading: 43.3mpg, and that was mixed city/ country driving, mostly driving with foot to the floor since it drives so good.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's not "straight piped" if there is a catalyst and/or muffler/s in the exhaust. Just dpf deleted. The weird hissing sound could be from turbulence in the gutted dpf.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not "straight piped" if there is a catalyst and/or muffler/s in the exhaust. Just dpf deleted. The weird hissing sound could be from turbulence in the gutted dpf.
The muffler is the only stock piece of exhaust left on the car, and it clearly doesn't do anything about emissions.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My impression of them:

I would buck up and get the kit with the catalyst, it will help cut down the fumes. You do not notice anything while driving, but if you come to a stop with the windows down you can often notice something. It is really no worse than the old pre-catalyst diesels I suppose, but if given the choice I'd like it to smell less. If the tune is done right, they really don't smoke unless you really romp on it, although they seem to use an aggressive start up fuel map, so a black puff (reminds me of the 12v Cummins trucks) is normal. The catalyst will help with that, too.

I'd also get some form of resonator or muffler, that is the larger size pipe as the delete kit. The little reducer gizmo that is supplied in the 'economy' kits that lets you keep the factory muffler makes the car quieter, but also makes for that annoying hissing sound. The full size straight pipe out the back sounds awesome.... for about an hour. Then it will start to annoy you. I'd not recommend that.

But the jump in fuel economy is noticeable right away, and that annoying MIL coming on constantly won't be an issue anymore. I have also noticed that they do take a bit longer to warm up in very cold weather, as expected, but not that bad, and a lot of these cars have the auxiliary electric heater which helps.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
My impression of them:

I would buck up and get the kit with the catalyst, it will help cut down the fumes. You do not notice anything while driving, but if you come to a stop with the windows down you can often notice something. It is really no worse than the old pre-catalyst diesels I suppose, but if given the choice I'd like it to smell less. If the tune is done right, they really don't smoke unless you really romp on it, although they seem to use an aggressive start up fuel map, so a black puff (reminds me of the 12v Cummins trucks) is normal. The catalyst will help with that, too.

I'd also get some form of resonator or muffler, that is the larger size pipe as the delete kit. The little reducer gizmo that is supplied in the 'economy' kits that lets you keep the factory muffler makes the car quieter, but also makes for that annoying hissing sound. The full size straight pipe out the back sounds awesome.... for about an hour. Then it will start to annoy you. I'd not recommend that.

But the jump in fuel economy is noticeable right away, and that annoying MIL coming on constantly won't be an issue anymore. I have also noticed that they do take a bit longer to warm up in very cold weather, as expected, but not that bad, and a lot of these cars have the auxiliary electric heater which helps.
I noticed post-delete that once the car is up to temp, any amount of coasting results in the temp going down from normal. It never drops drastically, but I really have to keep the engine working in order to keep it at 190... Definitely going with the high-flow cat after I sell my dpf and other cat. Really wish I would've opted for it with my exhaust kit, since it costs more as a standalone piece, but live and learn.

I also just noticed during my oil change today, some metal pieces on my magnetic oil drain plug, and some sludge seeping out of the lower intercooler hose. (Bites nails)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A bit of goo in the intercooler hoses is normal. Metal on the drain plug could be cause for concern though. I'd probably dissect the oil filter after the next change if it were mine. Maybe even send in a sample for analysis.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
A bit of goo in the intercooler hoses is normal. Metal on the drain plug could be cause for concern though. I'd probably dissect the oil filter after the next change if it were mine. Maybe even send in a sample for analysis.
It was like pieces, not shavings. Filter looked fine but I didn't tear it apart yet. I did my usual dual-method oil change where I use an extractor but also pull the drain plug, since extractor-only leaves a fair amount of oil in the drain pan, and plug-only leaves a fair amount in the filter housing.(sucking the oil out through the dipstick before pulling the plug makes oil changes way less messy). Flushed some fresh oil through the housing and the regular oil fill, buttoned it up and car drives fine. Like as in way better since the delete minus the smell. Hauls ass.

I'm now wondering if the occasional noises I've been hearing pre and post delete, like sort of like a card in the bike spokes sound, that are somewhat influenced by the a/c being on or off, but also are occasionally present when the HVAC is totally off, are something to do with the turbo? I'm pretty sure this car is still on turbo #1 after 194k miles so wouldn't surprise me if it's starting to break up.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could definitely be the turbo going south. If so, I'd recommend replacing it w/ a cr170 turbo. Much better turbo, and pretty much plug n play with your setup.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
Could definitely be the turbo going south. If so, I'd recommend replacing it w/ a cr170 turbo. Much better turbo, and pretty much plug n play with your setup.
I no longer think it's the turbo, it's most likely the ac, which is disappointing since I had the whole system replaced a little over a year ago. I do think the exhaust is leaking inside the engine where the turbo meets the downpipe, since it's occasionally coming through the HVAC, and I can smell it under the hood, but the guys who put my exhaust on should be able to figure that out.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
You will see Temps dropping when coasting or idling, mostly when its cold or when you haven't been up to temp long.

If you think about the things you removed that retain/redirect heat then it makes sense