Malone or Kerma

edatainc

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon, Black on Black
Dyno Results KERMA vs. Malone CJAA CR140

Max wheel HP was about the same with KERMA at 145 and Malone 143 at 3,300 and 3,600 RMP, respectively.
Max wheel torque showed showed higher for KERMA. 273 ft-lbs KERMA to 252 Malone. KERMA max occurred at 2,259 RPM. A bit sooner than Malone at 2,700 RPM.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Link is broken.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edatainc

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon, Black on Black
FYI H&R never made a 26mm rear and 28 front bars, it's most likely 24mm rear and 26mm front ;)
HR.70750-28 is the 28MM front.

However I stand corrected. As you suspected, my receipt shows:HR.70750-26 MK5/6 ADJ FRONT 26MM SWAYBAR and HR.71750-24 MK5/6 ADJ FRONT 24MM SWAYBAR

Last edited:

es7129

TDI
2014 JSW DSG
Max wheel HP was about the same with KERMA at 145 and Malone 143 at 3,300 and 3,600 RMP, respectively.
Max wheel torque showed showed higher for KERMA. 273 ft-lbs KERMA to 252 Malone. KERMA max occurred at 2,259 RPM. A bit sooner than Malone at 2,700 RPM.
Did you do a baseline stock run? Those tq numbers seem very low compared to what’s advertised by Kerma.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The malone tune was loaded up differently on the dyno so it spooled later or it would have made similar tq, but power was the same(can post the graph if edata is alright with it). These figures are more in line with reality, max we see is around 305lb-ft to the wheels with deletes, often around 285 with stock hw, and other tuners do similar. A ~250whp big turbo setup with reasonable fueling would be making more around 350lb-ft to the wheels

VegasGolf

TDI
13 Golf tdi
I too purchased a (fixed buyback) 2013 w/ 22132 miles.golf tdi

Unitronic @ getunitronics.com have a DSG & diesel tunes.
Dealers are hard to find in Vegas. So do your research on how it’s done @shop or Remove your ecu and ship? ( personally afraid to send in the mail ). Might limit your choice?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Have Malone and had rc on other cars. Both good. Must suck to be a vendor and have to babysit these sites to read and backup or debunk posts all the time. :)

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I installed a Kerma 2.0 tune a week ago. I liked the idea of being able to quickly reload the stock tune if I needed to take the car in for servicing. The tune was easy to load up, took all of maybe 10 minutes to load. But there are preliminaries that needed to be done. Download the stock tune info, email Kerma with the info, get the tune file from them, place it on the tune console, carry it out to the car, putz around with a not too difficult OBD2 plug, and load it up, and go burn a few miles of the right front tire. Since the tires are (IMO) crappy Continentals I'm wanting new tires soon. Is 30k miles too soon? The Continentals are noisy, worst tire for noise I've ever owned.

If you install a tune, make sure your battery is up to snuff! Everything comes on, including all the fans under the hood! The process was quite easy though. The car has quite a bit more power now than the stock tune judging by the seat of the pants feeling. Subjective, yes, but you WILL notice a difference. You won't need a dyno to tell you you've got more ponies under the hood. If I'm going to achieve my goal of better MPG I need to lay off the go-pedal. Damn! It's made the car more fun to drive, and I already love this car.

With the stock tune the car would easily spin the tires in first gear when the turbo kicked in, which seemed to lag for 1-2 seconds, but it seemed to lay down after shifting into 2nd gear (DSG). With this tune I can spin the tires in 2nd as well now, and a little spin in 3rd depending on the road surface. We have a lot of chip seal pavement around here. From a dead stop the turbo still has lag, but it kicks in much quicker than before. I didn't get the tune for the power, but you'd have to be nearly dead not to notice the increase in power.

My motivation for the tune was for some improvement in fuel mileage. With the stock tune, my MPG has hovered right around 37mpg in all around driving, a combined 40/60 city/highway. Best tank MPG to date is 39MPG. My bone-stock 2013 Jetta Premium (DSG) averaged 40.1 over 23k miles and 3.5 years of ownership. Average city/highway driving with the Golf is the same as the Jetta. I turned the Jetta in to VW in Dec 2016. I bought this Golf in Dec 2018. It's just broke in with 24k when I bought it. It's pushing 29k now. Since I'm about 250 miles to the next fuel-up I can only go by the numbers on the consumption computer readout until then. I've driven about 80 miles of the current tank with the stock tune, it would be great to see anything over 40mpg.

I've checked the real time and overall numbers on very flat and level highway at 64mph indicated, and 62 via GPS, a Garmin unit. Those numbers are showing me 52-58mpg on the instant readout, and 44.8 overall. Much improved! Before the tune the overall MPG was never in the 40's so I'm optimistic that I'll get into low 40's. That would be great. So far so good! The instant and overall MPG readings from the computer are encouraging.

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
Happy new year all!
Hello all,
I'll be getting a Passat from gf in a few weeks and having a hard time deciding on which tune to go with, I've been reading a lot lately and would like latest opinions, I know with Kerma you can't delete, will I ever want to delete ? Is there any advantage to delete or any pros or cons ? I just want a tune that's going to get me more power and mpgs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just choose. Nothing has changed really and there are many, many posts on this already. If you delete or change anything emissions wise you will not pass CA emissions or be allowed to register your car.

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
I wouldn’t have an issue with inspection, just don’t know if the engine would last longer if I deleted?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn’t have an issue with inspection, just don’t know if the engine would last longer if I deleted?

Once deleted, your new car will thank you like your old MK4 ALH car.

My old JSW ran flawlessly for 300k miles and could gave kept going but got rear ended so went to the buy back as DSG was on its last leg.

Malone are awesome. I have Rawtek with Malone stage 3 tune for my 2014 JSW. Expensive but worth it in the long run.

Diesel DNA is fairly new with an experienced tuner thats well known in MK4 community his name is Jeff Stevenson which works with Diesel DNA that sells darkside exhaust from UK. Quality of metal material is very impressive at affordable pricing.

I got the kit for my 2015 Passat. Will install soon.

2OO2TDI

TDI
Thanks Cali,

I am wondering but not worried bout if i sold the car in a few years and it's deleted?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes worry if you are to sold her in Cali but if other states then you will be ok as long as they dont do emission testing.

I do miss Cali but dont miss their ridiculous laws including emission testing, they used to be emission free for diesel vehicles.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Thanks Cali,
I am wondering but not worried bout if i sold the car in a few years and it's deleted?
Just be sure to inform any potential buyers that the car has had illegal modifications done to the emissions system. Yes, that will drive off most interested parties, but it would be super scummy not to. I wouldn't consider a delete a viable option if I lived in California.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Who in California would want to buy a car that has had illegal mods done, won't pass emissions inspection, can't be registered there and voided warranty. That is a really hard sell unless you lie and they aren't knowledgeable. The same applies to any other state with diesel testing. If you expect to sell it in a few years I would just leave it stock.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

But the seller already said he can "fix" the inspection it sounds like. If so that would leave the buyer up the creek at the second inspection.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
But the seller already said he can "fix" the inspection it sounds like. If so that would leave the buyer up the creek at the second inspection.
Sounds like a shady fix if it has to be in quotation marks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you delete and tune and you state you don't have to worry about the inspection and you live in California, something must be up that isn't quite right. That is a no no there and isn't supposed to happen legally. So yeah sounds shady and the buyer in this discussion would be stuck at the second inspection where the inspection fix isn't in place anymore.

dubsport inc

TDI
2010 CR Jetta
I have dealt with Mark @ Malone for 5 years +and can testify that his tunes are top shelf. He is agreat guy and his tunes are flawless. I have one in my '10 TDI Jetta 6spd and absolutley love it!

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
In California, seller is responsible for the first time smog check before he/she can actually sell the car. If car doesn't pass, no title transfer is possible. Seller either fixes the car or no sales. Period
Thats not true. Private party seller does not have to smog a car for you only a dealership is required to smog a car to sell it

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
If any of you are on instagram, there is a guy from canada @mk4mo_tdi that guy has had both malone and kerma tunes on the dyno. I think he might have a YouTube channel as well. I know there is a post on Instagram where he compares both companies tunes on a dyno

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If any of you are on instagram, there is a guy from canada @mk4mo_tdi that guy has had both malone and kerma tunes on the dyno. I think he might have a YouTube channel as well. I know there is a post on Instagram where he compares both companies tunes on a dyno
From his user name though he more than likely has a MKIV car which in no way compares to a 2012 CR car. So what is the point? Just read the existing threads and pick one. This same question has been asked and answered multiple times already.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
From his user name though he more than likely has a MKIV car which in no way compares to a 2012 CR car. So what is the point? Just read the existing threads and pick one. This same question has been asked and answered multiple times already.

Hahah your absolutely right. I just saw some people bring up mk4s on the first page and wrote a reply without going thru the other pages first