Malone 2.0 killed my turbo

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Turbo grenaded after Malone 2.0

LOL. 2005 BEW. Got Malone flashed today. Turbo blew when it hit 3500 RPM doing mapping.
Woe is me.
VNT 17 ordered. Derp.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
LOL
thats what you get when you dont install an EGT gauge
I put 764's on my almost stock AHU, 1st WOT pull and i saw 2800F spike, 2nd Pull i did right after it cooled down was 2200F and when i got home, the turbo was melted, it made about 5PSI and i had to drive it for a few days like that to and from school in limp mode.
It was EGT's or just a coincidence, either way, malone was clearly not at fault here.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Oh, I know, the turbo was obviously on it's last legs. I'm not really blaming the tune. Actually feel somewhat fortunate it happened at the tuner rather than at some random time,

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
Purchased 5 Tunes from Malone, never had an issue with any of them.
I think your correct assuming your turbo being on its last leg.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Picked up a BEW from a single owner with 177 on it, noticed some oil consumption and it was trying to eat the compressor housing by 185. Never tuned, just how it goes sometimes with these borg warners. A tune definitely wouldn't have helped though haha, at least you'll have a proper unit on there soon.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
sounds less like "killed my turbo" and more like "nudged it off the cliff"...
:lol:

Curious, how long does a stock turbo on stock engine usually last on these BEW's? Just bought an 04 a couple weeks ago with ~185k on it...

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Altitude seems to be a big factor, I've talked with more than a few people who had dealer serviced cars pop turbos before 100k miles above 5000ft. Have gotten logs off a few and they were all spiking and maxing out the map sensor @ 22 psi when the ECU was asking for ~15. neglected boost leaks cause them to overwork long term as well.

By 200k miles it's usually time for cam + turbo depending on the vehicle's life.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
Thanks. I'm in the process of talking my wife into chipping with Malone 1.5. My 02 was pretty heavily modified...man I loved that car. New one is currently due for timing belt, and I *think* my TB guy is a Malone dealer (different names but share an address?). But now I'm worried about the turbo...

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
A VCDS cable would be worthwhile in the long run, you can check injector and turbo behavior. Sometimes the injector harnesses get brittle and it's mis-diagnosed as an injector problem. You can data log all of the engine controls to make sure it's operating properly and fix things preemptively. With these older ECUs usually by the time they're throwing codes it's already had a problem for awhile.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Ah. Car lived it’s whole life at Denver or higher.

What clutch will I want for stage four?

Altitude seems to be a big factor, I've talked with more than a few people who had dealer serviced cars pop turbos before 100k miles above 5000ft. Have gotten logs off a few and they were all spiking and maxing out the map sensor @ 22 psi when the ECU was asking for ~15. neglected boost leaks cause them to overwork long term as well.
By 200k miles it's usually time for cam + turbo depending on the vehicle's life.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
2005 BEW with 420K kms here... original turbo and Stage 1.5 tune

Still feeling strong! (touch wood)

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Well, VNT17 and Malone 4.o “clutch saver” tune is very nice.

Think Ive decided on a West Bend clutch, and then will up to full 4.0

Like night and day so far. So good.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Anyone else look at this title of the thread (you can't change it BTW) expecting to see a complaint and a bunch of drama, only to find a reasonable TDI owner? For a second, I forgot that for the most part, its not like Facebook here. :D

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Anyone else look at this title of the thread (you can't change it BTW) expecting to see a complaint and a bunch of drama, only to find a reasonable TDI owner? For a second, I forgot that for the most part, its not like Facebook here. :D
I tried to change it...I really did.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I do not pretend to be very knowledgeable but with my 2002 Jetta the first thing I did when I had a stage 2 installed was to install a BOOST pressure gauge to limit the boost to under 25 PSIG if I recall the number correctly. That was 14 years ago.

It's too bad that some people are so quick to blame someone else (i.e Malone) for their own mistakes! In today's world it's always someone else's fault, never yours!

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
I do not pretend to be very knowledgeable but with my 2002 Jetta the first thing I did when I had a stage 2 installed was to install a BOOST pressure gauge to limit the boost to under 25 PSIG if I recall the number correctly. That was 14 years ago.

It's too bad that some people are so quick to blame someone else (i.e Malone) for their own mistakes! In today's world it's always someone else's fault, never yours!
Oh, relax, mom. It was my choice to chip the damn. Thing.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Can lightly slip a stock 03 ALH 02J clutch with just a tune, and you can FRY a stock clutch with nozzles and a tune on an ALH. So 5sec will be my guess.
Seems to be going okay. I've got a south bend dealer nearby, and a local mechanic close enough that I could push my car there.