Making a Vacation out of TDIFest

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Any ideas? We're taking the week off. What's there to see and do around there (big radius?). We'll eventually have to get back home to Albany, NY.

Thanks.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
What are your interests? Are you bringing children?

Within several hours you have Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago. Harley Davidson museum, brewery tours, baseball games in Chicago and Milwaukee, Green Bay Packer hall of fame, zoos, museums, etc. Wisconsin has some nice State Parks if you like getting outdoors to hike/fish/camp. If you narrow your criteria down, I'm sure Jeff and I can come up with plenty of ideas for you.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Thanks. You really don't have to come up with a specialized program for us. (Although we're not bringing children and don't camp
).

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
I guess if you want to keep it within a couple of hours from the area...Milwaukee has a lot going on. There's almost ALWAYS some sort of fest going on when the weather is decent, Milwaukee Brewers baseball, Miller brewery tours (free beer) There is the EAA museum (Oshkosh WI) which deals with all sorts of aircraft (quite the museum) plus more. If you're into sight seeing, there's House on the Rock (West of Madison)..there are the Wisconsin Dells(North of Madison). There's all sorts of micro breweries, Madison is a great city with a friendly atmosphere, a good free zoo, University of Wisconsin, state capitol, ets. There are numerous cheese places and nice scenic drives like the one from LaCrosse down to Platteville and back to Madison or for a shorter one, from Madison, to Prairie du Chien to Plattville and back to Madison. and a lot of other stuff to do. There are some neat little towns/cities along lake Michigan to visit like Port Washington, Sheboygan and Kohler. Let us know what your intereste are, and we'll be glad to point you in a direction. . Later, Jeff

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Even if you are not camping, there are plenty nature activities in Door County. That is the "thumb" of WI (if you hold your left hand up.
)

Check out this site, http://www.travelwisconsin.com/ Even though Wisconsin is not a "big" state. But it has lots of small towns that have activities and such. It is like Finger Lakes region in NY. I loved that part, though we don't have big hills like they do. There is lots of places to see along the Mississippi River on the far west of WI on Hwy 35. If the weather is nice, it makes a good drive.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Even if you are not camping, there are plenty nature activities in Door County. That is the "thumb" of WI (if you hold your left hand up.
)

Check out this site, http://www.travelwisconsin.com/ Even though Wisconsin is not a "big" state. But it has lots of small towns that have activities and such. It is like Finger Lakes region in NY. I loved that part, though we don't have big hills like they do. There is lots of places to see along the Mississippi River on the far west of WI on Hwy 35. If the weather is nice, it makes a good drive.
Agreed, especially from La Crosse to Prescott.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
And not to mention, New Glarus is a neat little town. It's known as "little Switzerland" and is pretty cool. Check HERE
There are a lot of little microbreweries all around this area. Here is one web page dedicated to just microbreweries. WI BEER and if you're into beer, wine and cheese tours, check HERE

One could make a small circuit and hit a few of these in a days time. There's even a microbrewery in Lake Mills where the fest will be held. Check the fest activities.

Later,
Jeff

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Ummmm, is it my imagination or am I seeing a LOT of NB owners in this thread?

I'm bringing my kayak if anyone is interested in some quiet-water paddling. Either bring your's, or let's look into renting facilities. I'm sure they're out there.

Velvetfoot, I'm taking a week off as well. Interested in doing a Canadian route home? I'm planning on hoofing it west, but taking my time on the way back east.

~BG

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I coulda swore I responded to this earlier in the day....

I think we're (Mrs. VelvetFoot) are heading out Thurdsday afternoon. I think we'll be moseying back, but I believe Mrs. V will be calling the shots. We might head over to Minneapolis to visit someone.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
There sure are a lot of Mrs. V's floating around here, don't you think?

You goin' to the GTG in NH this month, Mr. 'foot? We could discuss this in more detail then.

If you're leaving Thursday afternoon, are you driving straight through, or perhaps we cross paths that evening and drive the rest of the way on Friday.

~BG

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Karl, if you plan on being in Wisconsin still the following friday. I highly recommend doing the Lake Front Brewery tour in Milwaukee followed by the fishfry. It is one of the best experiences you will have in Milwaukee. $5 for the tour which includes the tour, a pint glass, and then about 4 full fills of great beer before durring and after the tour. Since you will be very tippsy and hungry go up stairs for the good fishfry with a live polka band and dancing. I also recommend the Sprecher brewery tour in Milwaukee. Or do the grog, Miller, lakefront, and sprecher all in one day.
Also, starting on the 9th is Oktoberfest in Milwaukee. MMMM more beer.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
While there have been several Mrs. V's, there is currently only one! No GTG's for me til the Fest, I'm afraid.

Meeting up enroute might be a possibility, but the logistics would seem a problem. We're going to just stop driving when we get tired.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Not only have I been to the Safehouse, I've got my name on a plaque on the bar.

That's dedication.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Anyone know where the New Glarus brewery is? is it nearby? They've got some killer sours.
-rob

Let me know if you want to go. I'll get jon L and we can go on a brew tour. I'm in madison. Also if you are into gardening and botanical gardens we have Olbrich Garden in Madison. Just voted into the top 5 in the nation. I work there part time, It's free and reallllly cool. www.olbrich.org