MAJOR fuel gauge issue?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Guys I have the 2012 Passat TDI and when I fill up I CONSISTENTLY get a fuel gauge that reads one tick mark below full. Are any of you w/ the 2012 Passat TDI having the same problem?

Also, does anyone know how to vent the fuel tank of the 2012 Passat TDI?

bonno

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Did you see my thread from yesterday on not being able to fill up all the way? There are explanations on why you cannot get fuel gauge full.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just guessing, there shouldn't be any emissions revap stuff as on the mk4s. The filler neck should be similar to the mk5 and mk6s. Got any pics of the filler neck?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just guessing, there shouldn't be any emissions revap stuff as on the mk4s. The filler neck should be similar to the mk5 and mk6s. Got any pics of the filler neck?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would just like to know why my low fuel light only comes on when the tank is full and turns off when it is down to what normally would be the low fuel level.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it's a feature, the lights on to tell you you got fuel. When the light goes off it's time to fill back up!!!

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
it's a feature, the lights on to tell you you got fuel. When the light goes off it's time to fill back up!!!
You mean like an everything is okay alarm?

(may want to turn down speakers before clicking):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTzByQTeyJQ

:D

Back OT, would be worth running an AutoScan with VCDS to see if any faults are present. Also check Adv Meas Values in Instruments to see if it's reading plausible number of liters in the tank.

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
Mine also reads below full even when it is filled up to the point that fuel is sitting just below the filler cap. Also when it reads half full it actually is not. Maybe the sender is positioned wrong?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I think it is reading a tick below full because it is a tick below full. I have never been able to get more than 15.5 gallons in mine, this morning I was 3/4 way down in the red zone, MFD said 40 miles to empty, and I spent several minutes squeezing in 15.5 gallons in the tank....it just doesn't seem possible to get 18.5 gallons in this thing, that would mean that I had 3 gallons left in my tank this morning. I guess the only way to figure out exactly what is going on is to suck the tank dry after filling it up and see how many gallons come out, if it is 18.5 gallons then the gauge is messed up, if less than that comes out then VW got some figuring to do.

Good news is I went 732 miles/15.5gal = 47.22 mpg(MFD read 47.7mpg)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I suppose there won't be any Passat rental cars anytime soon as most companies have policies of the cars being delivered and returned with the fuel gauge indicating full.