Major engine failure caused by oil seized oil pump?

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
Major engine failure caused by seizing oil pump?

Hi,

a while ago, my 2002 ALH Mk4 Golf had a major engine failure on the german Autobahn.

At the time, it looked/felt like a turbo failure - but it quickly became apparent that piston #1 had melted, leading to zero compression and a controlled runaway (only that cylinder was running on oil), which was easily manageable. The engine did not reduce rpm on its own (in gear), but it also did not accelerate on its own. Engine braking in gear was easy, near idle rpm it shut off on its own when I turned off the key even with the clutch depressed and without a SUV (racepipe installed).

We had lots of ideas about the culprit, some seemed pretty plausible, but it all just didn't add up. The injectors were working fine before and almost new Bosio nozzles (pop-tested and evenly set up at 220/300 bar) were mounted, and damage was limited to cylinder #1 - everything else was in perfect running order (about 200k km/125k miles, why shouldn't it be), and a few weeks before the smooth idle regulation said all cylinders were within spec when I checked with VCDS. Head gasket was fine.

The turbo itself wasn't it, either - it did sustain damage from the molten piston remains, but the seal was still intact and it didn't bleed oil out into the intake.

Valvetrain also looked fine except for one valve that had a molten piece of piston stuck under the lip so it was protruding minimally further into the cylinder - followers looked like there was no hard contact.

So we scratched our heads - oil pressure warning light did not come on at any point, ever. I can only guess that the first time you'll see that light come on is when you have no oil circulating at all anymore...pff. Sure had a CEL right away when I forgot to connect the switch one time, though...

I decided to have the engine rebuilt with a stronger bottom end (ARL pistons, PD conrods, uprated bearings and bolts etc), new oil pump (hadn't checked it at that point yet), nozzles, downpipe and the works.

Well, when the oil pump was removed to make way for the replacement, the real culprit was found - it was almost seized! Hardly possible to turn it over by hand, the insides were toast. Why the stupid oil pressure sensor did not trigger remains a mystery to me. The drive chain was still intact.

Now, I haven't read anything about the oil pump going south with mileage as low as this - what are your experiences?

The car did undergo some "Longlife" intervals when it wasn't remapped, but always ran VW-approved fully synthetic oils. After remapping, an oil change was performed every 6-10k miles/10-15k km.

Why the oil pump should fail at this stage remains strange.

In any case, a good reason to mount an oil pressure gauge...

Regards

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You sure about the order of events? Maybe the piston failure dropped junk in the pan that the pump picked up??? I know there's a screen to prevent this, but...

Did you verify the oil galleries and piston cooling jets were clear when you reassembled?

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
Yes, this was verified - there was no junk visible below the piston. It all exited out the head.

Cooling jets were clear.

Still, may have eaten something and plugged the oil pump - hard to say. That's why I posted here, the oil pump just failing like that seems strange. Also, it seems strange that damage is limited to cylinder/piston #1 - not sure about oil pressure, would it be lower there than at the other pistons?

If the oil jet didn't get enough pressure to spray the piston bottom, that would account for the melt - still strange.

Regards

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Since the chain, etc., was still intact, and the oil pump would turn, although stiff, I'm inclinded to believe it was still functioning.

Questions that comes to mind, why was only one cylinder affected? Could the oil pump have been already in that condition but had nothing to do with incident?

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but it appears that something was in there beating around. Why would one cylinder get moltening hot causing bits of the piston to break off and get caught under a valve? Was it the intake or exhaust valve? Again, how could an oil pump failure on affect one cylinder....?

Interesting!

Keep us informed!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Could be the pump was failing, and oil flow was reduced. This will reduce flow to cooling nozzles and pistons will heat up. Pump was likely still pumping enough to keep light from coming on. Pump also could have picked up some grit from piston failure. Sustained high load driving (autobahn) with a tuned engine makes piston cooling critical.

Really does not matter which came first. Somewhat like the chicken/egg debate.

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
I would guess an injector drooped a tip. You said they were tested and fine. What kinda shape is #1 injector in now?
Glen

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
#1 injector is partially molten and deformed, so no pop testing possible, but still had the tip on from what I remember looking at it (forgot to take pics, may still do that later when I collect the parts) - injector assembly itself seems fine, equipped with new nozzles it's working again as it should.

I had it hooked up to VCDS just two or three weeks prior to check on smooth running regulation among other things as it sometimes idled pretty roughly (IQ jumping up/down 1-1.5mg/str), but it showed everything within norm (not even very far apart). Put that down to the IP/QA being dodgy, as it felt like that did on my old pump. It always ran fine at WOT/when boosting.

The injectors that were mounted when it happened were also pop-tested and adjusted so they pop at equal pressures before installation - had less than 15k miles on them, new Bosios from a reputed shop. It happened at 110 mph+ cruising speed (on cruise control), though not at high IQ/boost - about 0.7 bar above ambient, so less than stock max boost was, fuel consumption was about 8-8.5l/100km, slightly below 4k rpm. The load may not have been huge, but it was sustained and several smaller problems can compound quickly.

@Ski in NC: probably, that's what it boils down to. No way to be sure one way or the other - but fact is, it was a heat issue that melted the piston. Rod didn't bend, either.

In any case, I've done quite a bit to lower EGT and combustion temps for the future to keep stuff from this like happening - among them an oil temp and pressure warning that does not rely on onboard sensors, a 2.5" downpipe, a better IC, ...

Plus a new oil pump, just in case :eek:

Thanks for your opinions!
Regards