MAF Sensor question

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Please don't tell me to search, because I've searched until my eyes hurt. I love this forum more than I can say, but the search function is quite frustrating to a newbie.
I'm wondering about cleaning the maf sensor. I have the security screws and can get it out, but it's the entire housing. I don't want to break anything and cant find an easy way to further disassemble.
Can some kind, more intelligent person than myself please post a picture or explain how to get to the sensor itself?
Or explain why I shouldn't clean it if that's the case.
I'm experiencing breaks in the power band. Was in limp mode last week and fixed by finding a bad vacum hose, runs much better.
Tested the maf by disconnecting and noticed no difference, done the cage mod. Hoping it's as simple as a dirty sensor.
Thanks

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The newer MAFs are quite sensitive, cleaning them many times ends up destroying them, depending on what type of agent you use. If when unplugged car runs the same as before, it's likely the MAF is failing. It would really help if you got together with someone who has VAG-com and could log the specified vs. actual MAF values. That would nail it.

How many miles on your TDI? Intake ever been cleaned? I'd start be replacing all the vacuum lines, since you found one bad. All it takes is a pin-sized hole, literally, which will let air out of the system under boost/vacuum. Start there since it's cheaper, and try to VAG-com it with someone. Good luck.

VagPhillips

TDI
2005.5 pkg 2
Thanks

Good advice. I plan on replacing all the vacum hoses this weekend. The one I replaced is temporary anyway since I replaced a 4mm with a 3mm since it was all I had at the time.
I'm still curious about the sensor though. I've seen close-ups of the actual element and am frustrated that when I pull out the housing I can't see how it would come apart to adequately clean it, if that is what I decide to do.
I figure if it probably needs replacing anyway, it can't hurt to try cleaning, or at least inspecting it first.
It's a 2001 jetta with 116k. Not sure if the intake has ever been cleaned or not. It's on my list (after tb job before 120k).
Thanks for your input.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Check yours and if it fails the VagCom Maf run, replace it. Cleaning really doesn't help this for any length of time. If it's maf time, it's maf time.

If you have a clogged intake, bad fuel filter, or other issues, you may unplug the MAF and not have any improvement nor detriment, since there is something else causing the problem that the ecu can't overcome. How's the maintanence (primarily fuel filter in this case).