MAF Questions???????

valois

Banned
How many have experienced a MAF failure that have not had a CCV bypass? How many have had failures with the bypass? And if you did have a failure how long was the bypass on before the failure>????

TDI ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we really need to know?
My MAF went fuzzy and made the glow plug blink, but after cleaning it's pretty good. I still think it's a little fuzzy. No CCV bypass here (till tomorrow?)

valois

Banned
Hopefully we will se a trend here, I can add JeffT to the list, MAF failure on 99.5 Jetta, NO CCV Bypass.

M

mickey

50,000 miles with CCV bypass and a BMC filter that was so over-oiled that there were puddles of the stuff on the bottom of the airbox. No failure. I recently cleaned the MAF and it works like new again, though it was working pretty well before the cleaning too. 74,000 total miles.

-mickey

diesel#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2004.5 Passat Variant (sold), 2000 Golf (still in family), 1998 jetta (RIP)
2000 Golf TDI-- 22,000 no MAF failure, no CCV bypass-- amsoil foam filter (over-oiled when installed at 5k so that puddles of the stuff in the bottom of the airbbox)-- planning to clean MAF soon but no indication of problem

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
48K with no problems,Bypassed 2 days later blown maf. Replaced maf 2 days later cel back on and power is flaky. Hav'nt read the failure codes but I suspect maf related.

2GreenTdi's

Veteran Member
Valois, I recently bypassed with a spanking new MAF. 1 week old. Well, I checked it frequently and have had no problem, however I noticed after the recent rains here in Texas the wire diode on MAF is gone. I think this is the first step towards MAF failure. Besides an unnatural process such as oil or silicone lousing. It's possible I would think any MAF failure could be related to install. How many failures have Tune Box installed also? Where was wire tap made? Was it on the right wire?
I'm not an Upsolute jesiut, I've just dug into these MAF's like a man on a crusade and I think VW's defective part is my first suspect, with any MAF failure, After that operater error with aftermarket installs.

Just my .2 cents while waiting for MAF to fail.

Boosthund

No bypass (I am chipped, w/ ongoing thanks to Rene), no MAF failure, at 30k miles, '00 TDI. I cleaned MAF with no-residue electronic parts cleaner, didn't notice any performance difference.

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Valois, just curious...
What does the CCV bypass have to do with the MAF? Any changes to the CCV would occur downstream of the MAF, so I can't see any connection between that and the MAF failures.

I can see faiulres caused by water or oil fouling at the airbox, and have rescued a friend who had so much water on his MAF that his TDI simply stayed in limp mode 100% of the time. (Drying and cleaning the MAF and the airbox fixed that.)

But what's the connection between CCV bypasses and MAF failures?

henry

valois

Banned
Henry, this is the purpose of this thread to determine the coorelation. To determine the coorelation, simply read the thread.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Bypass for almost 8k now. No MAF problems yet, knock on metal? Ran with K&N for 4k, then switched to PiperX with LIGHT oiling. Total miles at 14K. Holding breath, turning blue...

valois

Banned
Craig, that does not tell us anything, how long did you run the MAF without the bypass, then how long was the bypass on before youu developed MAF problems?
If you had 50,000 miles before the bypass and then your MAF failed 5,000 miles after the bypass, then was the damage already done?

Jared_in_Charlot

Veteran Member
Well, so far the tally stands as follows:

CCV bypassed: 2 failures out of 6 samples, 33%.

CCV not bypassed: 11 failures out of 16 samples, 69%. (including mine)

I haven't bypassed my CCV, 15k miles, no failure.

It would be nice to have a few more data points out of the folks who have bypassed the CCV. I think a sample size of 6 is too small to draw a conclusion.

I do have a theoretical question though... since it's known via oil analysis that metals worn from the engine are suspended in the oil, does it stand to reason that some of these metal atoms would be present in the vapor? And, after long term exposure would it be possible for the oil to produce a dielectric (or worse, a conductive) film over the MAF?

2GreenTdi's

Veteran Member
Sorry, my post was confusing towards productive data for thread.
1 MAF failure without bypass.
1,000 miles since bypass and no problem.