MAF Question

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
ok, so lately i have been having troubles with horrible low end power. i was leaving to go to the bank and decieded to unplug the maf for the trip. Lowend power is back with a vengence. i mean it shoots off the line!! but ofcourse no upper rev power. kinda dead. so it sounds like my MAF is bad??! well the trip was about 20 min and no light came on. will the light come on or do some cars just not want to pop it up?? i would like it to be showing when i drive in to the dealership. any thoughts??

jjon90

TDI
Jetta, 2001 Black
Here is my MAF experience! I have a 01 Jetta TDI with 46k. I was having the same problem. I also unplugged the MAF and what a (nice) difference it made in lower and upper RPM's. drove about 30 miles and no CEL. I had my wife take it in to the Dealership with my reported findings. When they didn't get any diagnostic codes (0 fault detected) they told me my MAF was fine and suggested I replace the EGR valve and have the manifold cleaned out at the tune of $850+ I told them the results I had by unplugging the MAF and they told be the boost of power was because it was dumping extra fuel into the cylinders. I told them not to do anything and lucky me they didn't charge me for the diagnostics because it took them all day to check it. That morning my CEL came on (the MAF was plugged in) and on my drive home it went off, never to return.Frustrated I went to a differant dealer and bought the part ($98 for the rebuilt Part# 06A-906-461-X)and installed it myself (5-10 mins) and now it runs like a rocket!! I plan to fill out a claim form for re-imbursement and send it in to VW. Good Luck!!

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
thanks for the reply. i was thinking about just doing it myself too and them filling out a form.good info! have they refunded you yet? one more question.. after you installed the new one did you see any change in mpg's??

jjon90

TDI
Jetta, 2001 Black
I just did the install today (8/5) so I'll let you know when I have the answers.

golden01

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 VW Rabbit Truck
You will probably experience power return. You can learn also to clean the EGR system and intercooler. This web page is chock full of ways to do things. I have replaced the MAF and cleaned the EGR/Intercooler on a 2000 TDI and it is much faster than when we bought it this past winter.

Good luck

Frank

iceman321

TDI
ive been looking around *probably not enough* - but i was getting the check engine light before i replaced my MAF - changed the MAF - I am wondering if I have to get something reset to get the check engine light to go away or is this maybe related to a different problem???? Any help - im still a noob at this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
have somebody with vag-com scan your car and see what codes come up. thats your best bet and if its nothing bad they can clear them.

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
I'm not sure. maybe somebody can chime in. I can;t even get a light to go on even when the maf is unplugged. maybe you have a glow plug problem. can't say for sure. thats why it needs to be vag-comed. that will tell you the root of the problem. i'm thinking if it was just your maf the light would of went out when you swapped the maf with a new one. good luck. there is a list of people with vag-com on the main page.

iceman321

TDI
thanks for your help -- i have noticed that the CEL has been on more now since i replaced the MAF yesterday -- sooooo -- i was looking around and checking -- saw some stuff on the N75 errors (selinoid *spel*) and other things -- i have 113k on my car so i guess anything is possible -- plus it is sunday - im sure not many people frequent here -- ill check for people with vag coms in MD! Thanks again

Paradonn67

TDI
New Beetle, 1999, Black
I had the same problem with my 99 NB. I just got it back from the shop for replacement of a glowplug and a few days later, I found I had low Power on take off and could barely get to 65 mph. I was worse than an old lady driving in the fast lane on Sunday. Thanks to this site, I think I resolved the problem. A bad MAF. I unplugged it yesterday and my car is alive again! I was seriously thinking of trading it in. The engine light came on as expected. I am ordering a new MAF and that hopefully should fix the problem. This forum is awesome!

iceman321

TDI
well -- i know its been a while - BUT --- so i replaced the MAF and fuel filter -- drove it around- and then turned off car--- CEL gone -- it was gone for 3/4 days -- and now it comes back intermittenly so- is this selenoid -- or is this something else - anyone help me ?? please -- oh btw i emailed some guy about a vag com in MD -- havent heard back -- does anyone know of someone in the baltimore/dc area that has a vag com or can help me?

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Did you try #6 or #8 on the list of MD Vag Com's?
Those guys are veterans and may be able to help you.

Jared B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI Green
If there are any local Auto Zone stores in your area they can read/reset trouble codes. They don't have VAG-COM full functionality, but they can at least read the code for you and you can come back here to see what it means. They can also reset it and make the CEL turn off. However if the problem isn't fixed, the light will likely come back on.

For most issues, the light won't turn itself off. You must have the code reset or the light will keep coming on.

iceman321

TDI
Did you try #6 or #8 on the list of MD Vag Com's?
Those guys are veterans and may be able to help you.
no -- but i recently moved to the randallstown/ owings mills area so i think i could try the other ones -- thanks for your help - ill keep that in mind -- btw -i went to the dealership - coolant temperature sensor - was the problem -- im gonna be doin a search -- ill edit if i find anything-- but till then -- anyone know how to replace it?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Iceman, where in North America are you located? Nothing in your display or profile indicates where you live. Surely, there is someone close-by that has VAG COM.

iceman321

TDI
Iceman, where in North America are you located? Nothing in your display or profile indicates where you live. Surely, there is someone close-by that has VAG COM.
sorry i am from MD -- and yes i know there has to be someone -- but the problem is that I tried to email some people on the list and NO reply

so --

anyone know how to replace the temp coolant sensor? thanks