one cleaning our my pocket..
ouch that hurts

I want to take this to another plain so please take this seriously

Tazz

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
One MAF replaced at 28K miles. Under warranty, no charge. Could have been fatally compromized by dread coolant migration problem, also fixed under warranty.

We'll never know which.

4wheeldrift

2 replaced. Same 2 cleaned prior to replacing.

Original MAF cleaned at home, did not cure problem. MAF was replaced by dealer - N/C.

2nd MAF cleaned at home also, problem not solved. I replaced this one out of pocket, but may swap back to get replaced by dealer at next service.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I own 3 MAF's (bought 2 from Danix)
A4

Original: cleaned and de-screened, never had a problem.

Replacement1: cleaned and de-screened

Replacement2: cleaned and still screened

I've been using the replacements to make sure they are fine. I figure $350 for two of them is pretty cheap insurance.

Lito

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]

cocca

Veteran Member
40k miles the MAF is dead. Long live the MAF! I haven't put a new one in yet. How much are they?
I agree that we must "gang up" on VWofA and get 'em to fix these things gratis.
Count me in.

Green Goblin

One MAF out of warranty, Tazz can attest.Should be a 10/100k powertrain warranty item, not a 2/24k!!!. Ridiculous price for a piece of plastic and a $2 ASIC. Plus the price just jumped from $207 to $284 due to "recently high demand". (Things that make me go Hmmmmm)

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
all this crap is just htat -

the 10/100 warranty should cover EVERYTHING that makes the engine run - every new sensor and computer they add - the don't add it to the warranty.

2/24 should be limited to the stuff like headlights - door seals - fan motors - non-essential to the engine running at Factory specs.

Am I way off base on this?

If your car doesn't work like it is supposed to with respect to the engine shouldn't that be covered by the powertrain warranty?

Sounds like a pretty clean cut class action lawsuit - to recover damages and to force the Company to cover that stuff.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
no MAF problems on either car...yet.

Both cars have K&N or PiperX panel filters.

Hondo

Veteran Member
Had 2 MAFs replaced both covered under warranty on a 2k Jetta that was slightly out of warranty. It had 29,000 mile when the problem (power loss but no CEL) first started. By the time the dealer figured out they put in another new MAF that was bad (smoking and CEL) again with completly different error codes. It was 3 months later with multiple trips back and forth to the dealer and another 2000 miles.

Dealer did make me remove the PX cone filter. I also had to move my Oilguard unit to remount the air box in the car. Kind of a PIA but they requested the car but put back to complete stock to figure out the problem. They had a hard time believing they put in another bad MAF.

But on the good side they covered the whole thing under warranty and gave me a loaner car free for 3 weeks while they were trying to figure the whole thing out. Yes 3 weeks, I told them to keep the car till it was fixed. I didn’t want it back till they were absolutely positive it was fixed no matter how long it took. I had them have the mechanic that worked on it drive it back and forth to work for a week after the repairs. I was getting tired of the back and forth gig to the dealer. I suspect he was swapping multiple parts in that time period with another TDI. That did finally get the problem resolved correctly in the end.

All thought the problem should not be happening in the first place. I sure am glad the dealer covered it under warranty and I didn’t have to pay for all this fumbling around. It would have added up to a few bucks!

Makes me wonder what the hell do you do when you buy a new one out of pocket? Since a lot of places will not take back new electronic parts. Just bite the bullet for 2 MAF’s when you get a DOA?
Hondo

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
2 TDI's, 87,000 total miles 0 failures. Stock air filters and intakes except for the Snow screens, CCV and EGR stuff...

DB

S

SkyPup

Two TDIs, no MAF screens, K&N and Piper filters, 120,000 miles.

No MAF problems.

amgad

Veteran Member
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robert e a:
right...the question is

how many european vs US MAF changes have there been ?

me, 125K miles on a 97 vento 90 bhp Tdi and original MAF...I don't know what you yanky boys are doing to them....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say how may MAF have gone here in spain but I can asure you it is a well known problem in Golf, Passats, Seat IBIZA, CORDOBA, TOLEDO, LEON. Even in a couple of OPEL VECTRA, same MAF as VAG uses.

amgad

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot... STOP BUYING MAFS FROM VW, get them directly from BOSCH, SIEMENS or HITATCHI. They are in any case much cheaper than buying them from VW.

roadrageinco

TDI
84 rabbit (RIP) 2000 Golf (RIP) 2005 Jetta SW (still going)
2 MAF replaced 1- 500 miles after the new one that was replaced at 23898 so they were both under warranty. How does one clean it?

robert e a

right...the question is

how many european vs US MAF changes have there been ?

me, 125K miles on a 97 vento 90 bhp Tdi and original MAF...I don't know what you yanky boys are doing to them....

godlike242

Veteran Member
almost 10K miles on a K&N filter- original MAF (knock on wood)
just 17.5K miles total.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: godlike242 ]

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by amgad:
I forgot... STOP BUYING MAFS FROM VW, get them directly from BOSCH, SIEMENS or HITATCHI. They are in any case much cheaper than buying them from VW.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm.. how?

tanker

TDI
2015 GSW TrendLine
Replaced two MAFs. Both as a result of PiperCross silicone based oil. The first was right after installing a PiperCross panel filter and presumeably oiling it too generously. Got the CEL and I was not able to clean the MAF using the recommended method. Replaced the OEM filter and the MAF was replaced by the dealer under warranty just over the mileage limit. I paid the labour, they paid the MAF. As soon as I got home I blotted the hell out of the PiperCross, replaced it and tried again. Wrong! Fried the new MAF, could not clean it and it was replaced by the dealer gratis. What did I learn? Just as the VW tech bulletins say, silicone vapours destroy MAFs. You cannot clean them after the damage. Be very careful. I would not recommend anyone using the provided oil (spray can) that comes with the PiperCross filters. It is not worth the expense of a new MAF.