MAF POLL

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
USA Jetta TDI GLS 51,000 Miles
No MAF failures ever. De-Screened, K&N after 15K miles. Cleaned air
filter twice so far. Driven with a heavy foot. Cleaning MAF today. Planning on 25K clean intervals.

[ April 29, 2002, 10:32: Message edited by: TDI2some ]

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 21,000 miles.
(Mother in laws)

NO MAF failures. De-screened, but otherwise stock.

[ April 29, 2002, 10:30: Message edited by: TDI2some ]

BrightSun

Veteran Member
Mine was blown at 33k miles. I purchased it used a couple of weeks ago. I noticed it would kind of "go flat" and stumble a little at full throttle @ 3000 rpm. There is no telling how long it had been in this shape. Took it to the dealership and what do you know....it was the MAF. It cost close to $500 to get fixed, luckily the car dealer I bought the car from agreed to flip the bill. They gave me the old maf...I would like to know how to tell if it is a total goner, or just needs to be cleaned ?

wsisk

MAF just diagnosed, but has been going bad since about 30k miles (i now have 56k, how could I let this go so long?)
This problem does not appear to be specific to TDIs. I talked to a parts counter guy at the Boulder VW stealership and he said they are replacing 4-5 per day on all diferent kinds of engines. They are also replacing the connector that goes to the wiring harness with gold plated connectors. I think it has something to do with current flow, but I don't really know how. Does anyone know anything about this?

Faster

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta ALH, 2007 Specialized Roubaix
One MAF at 80,000 miles. Ate the cost out of my own pocket. Cleaning helped at first but eventually it just died.

1999 Jetta TDI. Totally stock.

TDI Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
MAF died at 24,000 kms (15000 Mi), was using K@N but have switched back to stock filter.

Dealer will replace under warranty but I have to return a second time since the new one out of the box was defective and he had no more in stock.

I spoke with the service advisor who told me the 2 most common reasons for MAF failure on A4 is thermal failure due to overheating often as a result of a clogged intake screen and physical damage due to dirt bypassing the filter. (lose the K@N)

He believed mine failed due to overheating and offered to remove the screen for me!! I told him I had already done this after it became clogged with dirt/mud after only 3000 KMs. I also had a good handful of sand (we use more sand than salt around here)in the bottom of the airbox.

He agreed that the overall engineering of the air intake leaves much to be desired. His advice - remove the screen, it clogs way to easy and use a paper element filter. If you can find a way to get cooler air through a different route to keep dirt out do it. Mine failed a few days after some unseasonally warmer weather and was likely NFG to a certain extent right out of the box.

2002 Jetta, Upsoluted, K@N no more.

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000
Can somebody explain using common logic how removing a protective screen (snow screen) can possibly result in a cleaner air reaching MAF?

Whenever I come to think about it it always occurs to me that the result will be quite opposite to what the common knowledge on this board says.

My MAF, by the way, is squeaking clean, snow screen regularly cleaned (so far twice but it obviously depends on your driving condition) the mileage is past 20,000 (32,000 km) and PX panel filter used, lightly oiled, since 8,000 km.

PaulP

am completely stock
first MAF at 14kmiles (Wife complained it wasn't running right)
again at 19k
above covered by VW
3rd went at 45k. VW paid half

this sucks! I kant aford this again. VW fix or give it free next time!

Spaz

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Canyon Red
50k miles on 2000 Jetta, am on the phone with VW right now trying to get it covered (along with clogged EGR system). I mentioned 'class action' to the (very nice) person on the phone....They have me on hold while talking to the dealer....

-Darryl
2000 Jetta TDI bone stock....

Luis

Veteran Member
I'm running on my second MAF after having it replaced at 28,000 miles. I now have 36,000 and MAF is starting to give death signals... Just unbelievable. I change my OEM filter every 6,000 miles along with my oil changes.

I'm going MAD (or was it MAF?
) with this darn car! I'm thinking on getting a new car, Beetle TDI PD german export version....remember folks, we build them in Mexico...

Luis

gfunka

Mine's dead after around 34,000 miles. Dealer(s) wanted $380, Danix got a call. No CEL, though.

It went after I cleaned a very blocked snow screen. Any connection?

Fire Rescue TDI

TDI
2013 NB convertible 6 speed
I lost my MAF at 47K and some change. I just turned 80K and I think it is starting to go again.
Brian Zoril
1998 A3 TDI stock, lots of pretty red and blue lights

Boone

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI 2001 Blue Laggun
No Problems here yet, I have stock Air Box and filter, 2001 Jetta, have had it for 14 months and 34000 miles.

I am waiting for the dark day of death.

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
Dead MAF at 19k, Upsolute, CCV, Epsilonian, Pipercross panel. Covered under warranty.

I just removed the CCV bypass/Epsilonian and did the VAGCOM EGR mod, the replacement MAF is starting the worry me though, car surges on acceleration.

Spaz

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Canyon Red
I got lucky. I called VWoA, was turned down, but was told that the area VW rep was at the dealer. I went and spoke to him personally, and mentioned 'class action'
He agreed to cover the part if I covered labor....

Wow. I feel like I got a new engine! I didn't realize how bad the low power situation was!

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
2 MAFs replaced, am on the 3rd one now…

First one died at ~13500km (one month, 1500km after installed PX panel filter)

Second one died at ~16500km (20 days after last replacement, ~1500km also, 5 mins after replace paper filter with PX panel)

Both MAFs cover under warranty, VW Tech said he knew there is something wrong with these MAF and gasser die even more frequently

2001 Golf

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Man this thread is beginning to worry me! No MAF failure yet here. Golf 2k with 20k miles. Upsolute at 3k miles.
K&N for about 4k miles, then Pipercross panel filter to date. Tried Epsolonian solution, no go.
Returned to elephant CCV solution. Snow screen removed but screen door pre-filter mounted in air snorkle entry way. One MAF cleaning w/ VW aerosol cleaner, no junk removed as it was clean!
Waiting and driving...

lakhotaspirit

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI Black
I think it would be great if all my problems that I Have posted about were the MAF, my beetle is at 41,700. I would like to contribute to this petition
But let me get my car to the dealer first. I will save class action suit until I need it

MNgasBurner

01 Jetta 1.8T, 22k, and we just had it replaced under warranty. Based on the performance of the car, it was a long sickness, and a quick death.

BTW, It was the connection to pin 4 (12V source) that was toast. Infinite resistance across pin 4 to all others... and it shouldn't be that way

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
1 replaced, out of pocket from Danix.
Waiting for 2nd one once he gets more.

I'm not blaming VW for the bad MAF, I blame BOSCH... hopefully VWoA is going to get changes made... and soon.

milkman

I just had my first one replaced the other day-2000 jetta tdi, no upgrades, 89,000 km., under autozone extended warrantee at dealer. Cost me $50 + tax for deductible. Never cleaned original but I think I will this one.

coalburner

TDI
96 Passat, 01 Jetta 02 Jetta Wagon
2000 Jetta 35000. miles dealer would replace for 50% off parts plus labor $115.00 Total was 335.00
or so. I will buy off of forum.

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
1999 A4 Jetta

Bought New, replaced with K & N Filter at 5000 miles. 85000 miles currently, still on OEM MAF filter never had a problem.

TDI Bob

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver
Cleaned original MAF at 45K but I must not have done a very good job because she is not running well again after just a months time. I'd just unplug the thing but I can't stand seeing the check engine light on...

2000 Silver Jetta, A4 @46K