MAF - Mass Air Flow Sensor

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Or is it, "Air Mass Meter". or is it, " Air Volume Meter ". The last is probably the correct term and this thread is about several points on the sensor , CURRENTLY PRICED AT $111.00 , NEW.

1. Reliability of the 2006 Part# 038 906 461 B & BX.

Has anyone had a failure and if so was it under warranty. If not what did they charge you to replace.

2. Were you, the dealer, and or repair service able to determine the cause of failure. In other words, did dirt do it in, or was time and heat the cause. Maybe just a weak part and defective having a short life. Can fracture like a solder. Is this something as long as we keep our filter cleaned and sealed we never need consider.

3. Is anyone keeping a spare on hand and if this part is fragile is that wise.

I was going to buy a spare but after seeing the price decided maybe I should not. Especially since it is fragile and the idea would be to keep it in the car in case of failure on road. But since this does not cause a the car to stop running it comes down to do you want to drive a limping TDI several or more days till a replacement arrives by UPS. Cause if you go to the dealer I show their cost at > 90 USD so for me 360.00 cause they are getting 400%.

What other sensors on our cars could cause us to need towed, anybody researced this. What relays would be worth keeping on hand like fuses.

Hopefully the really knowledgeable people like, DBW, JasonTDI, Oilhammer, and others will enlighten us on parts that may be prudent to keep on hand.

For anyone that has anything to add to this thread about SENSORS on A5 cars, ones we should consider to keep spares on, please chime in.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
OK I read the whole thing but I missed something..... Has yours gone bad?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Maf

You are paranoid. No problems encountered with mine on 04 or 06 and haven't heard of any to speak of!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dh

What other sensors on our cars could cause us to need towed, anybody researced this. What relays would be worth keeping on hand like fuses.

Just trying to keep fuses relays and sensors on hand that may cause the car to fail. Did you know there are a few fuses that if they fail your car will not start. I forget the number in the fuse box. You want to be towed when all you really needed was a $ .50 fuse. There are relays that can go bad and cause lights to not work. When I travel a distance I keep laptop with Vag-com. Why be towed when you can replace a minor part. I know the MAF does not cause a terminal failure, but who wants to sputter around for several or more days waiting for new part. Or a 20 dollar part tha prevents fuel delivery - not sure thas why I asked the knowledgeable people to maybe enlighten us on simple parts to keep spares of.

You see sensors do go bad - LF just posted about a ESP combo sensor. Air Mass Meters do go bad.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
starwar
I am not paranoid - I am disabled, currently have only one car and live 23 miles to the nearest town

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Yeah I have been stranded before with blown fuses (not the VW). I found it handy to carry a couple of each amperage in the console. Probably not a bad idea for this car either, just kinda hard to get ahold of them since they're sorta specialty. Other than fuses, I cannot think of anything to carry on hand. A MAF is probably a bad idea because I would be afraid of damaging the wires just hanging onto it. An N75 valve might not be a bad idea to have extra. That's the one along the firewall, correct?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thougt so - and thats nice if I cant fix it and keep going home. One talked of being roadside for 5 hours.

I wonder why LF had to replace his dual purpose sensor. his is 2006 seems like it would have been covered.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am going thru the manual - I will try to put a list of relays that could stop the engine. The two I have found are 20 USD and 4 USD. You need all three size of conventional fuses. In the big fuses I got just one 40 and one 50. I bought a package with tester 5 - 40 in the regular size. The mini fuses there was on 5's and 10's so I got a pack of each. It should be enough to last the life of the car 23 USD.