MAF electrical connector

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
I'm stuck. I need to replace the MAF electrical connector (on the other side of the MAF). Any videos on how to do it? I guess it's one of those "D" clips.

TIA.

Last edited:

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Push in on the connector and then with your thumb press down on the small raised tab at the back nearest the wire protection cover, while looking into the small rectangular hole you can see the locking tab raise up, then pull. Sometimes it can be hard to get unstuck if it has been a while since the last time it was unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
actually, my issue is with the other side. There is an oval, mushroom shaped end that is plugged into something. I can't seem to get that part out.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The MAF sensor has 1 5 pin plug.
I'm not clear on "(on the other side of the MAF)"

The wire harness plug plugs into it.

Are you trying to get the harness side sockets out of the holder?

Is so there's a tool you need to release them.
There's a thread here showing how to make the tool if your handy but the tool is fairly cheap in the parts stores.

Maybe someone here has a link for making & using the tool.

A you tube search should find sevaral.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
the "D" connector has a mushroom shaped end. It plugs into the wire harness. I can't figure out how to get the two apart.

If there is a special tool, or how to make one, I guess I gotta keep digging to find it...

Thanks for the direction.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
the "D" connector has a mushroom shaped end. It plugs into the wire harness. I can't figure out how to get the two apart.

If there is a special tool, or how to make one, I guess I gotta keep digging to find it...

Thanks for the direction.

I believe your referring to the red pin retainer in this photo?

I’ve only seen this on MAF sensors and have failed miserably trying to remove it without breaking anything.

I’m not give up on a solution [emoji36]

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
no. the other side. I'm going to see if I can post a picture...

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't figure out how to post a picture here. keeps asking for a URL and I have it on my phone....

Let me try explaining this again. I broke the D connector while I was trying to get it separated from the MAF. So I have the replacement part. I can separate it from the MAF no problem. The D connector plugs into the wiring harness. This is what I cannot separate - the D connector from the wiring harness. On my replacement part, it looks like there is an oval mushroom shaped connection that is tapered - narrow on the side that plugs into the wiring harness, and wider at the end closest to the D connector. It looks like it tapers out to about 1/16 of an inch or so wider all the way around it, which apparently snaps into the wiring harness.

I've already broken the D connector and I really don't want to damage the harness. What I cannot figure out is how to separate the D connector from the wiring harness without breaking anything else.

Hope that clarifies things.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
You just need to pop open the two tabs that are shown in the picture. Then it just opens up like a clamshell

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
follow up... I have the terminal remover tool, and I slid out the blue retaining clip, but those terminals don't seem to want to release. Is there something else I need to do before they'll pop out?

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
found a video... i think i'm good now. thanks for your help!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I HAVE to ask: WHY do you feel you need to replace this plug? (I'm curious about the bigger picture.)