Machined/cast turbo inlet pipe - gauging interest

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Very cool work here. For the record, I just cut down the TIP and used a silicone coupler direct to the turbo inlet, and have had no issues with that setup.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Very cool work here. For the record, I just cut down the TIP and used a silicone coupler direct to the turbo inlet, and have had no issues with that setup.
I might make one for myself (and others if wanted) that I can epoxy my stock tube onto after I cut off the flange. I think I only have one bolt holding it on at the moment because one of the lower ears broke off.

I fitted my prototype to the turbo this morning to make a couple of fine adjustments. I'm going to make the ID tighter around the turbo inlet by about .010", making it a total of .010" over. (the turbo inlet is 1.800, I'll make the flange ID 1.810) It's just a little too loose for my liking, but the O-ring still creates a proper seal.

20221102_074309.jpg

I'm going to increase the distance between the holes by about .030" to center them up better.

20221102_074313.jpg

And finally, increase the thickness of the upper mounting ear by a smidge.

20221102_074404.jpg

I already have material sourced and am ready to start taking pre-orders, hoping for delivery to customers within 4 weeks. (Though it should be sooner than that.) The first-batch sale price will be $100 shipped to your door. Anyone who wants to join, PM me your email address for a PayPal invoice.

Reactions: Rig

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looks good. I don’t need one, but I’d make both ears the same thicker thickness.

It's just a little too loose for my liking, but the O-ring still creates a proper seal.
Are you using a new o-ring? I almost need to fight the OE part going on, with a new one.

-Todd

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I want a whole billet valve cover and PCV upgrade system… the stock stuff is just china crap nowadays and leaks.
I was just telling somebody else I'm sure I could make a whole valve cover, it would just be super expensive. Probably on the order of $400-$600 depending on how much material is. Not as much as a billet cover for a 24 valve Cummins though.

DCM1

TDI
2001 Jetta sedan 5 speed
“Billet” is such an overused word, most people don’t even know it refers to a shape of regular old barstock, not a specific material. It means nothing special.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
“Billet” is such an overused word, most people don’t even know it refers to a shape of regular old barstock, not a specific material. It means nothing special.
I mean, you're right - it doesn't mean anything special. What it DOES refer to is a solid "billet" of material that gets fully machined or worked into the end product, as opposed to be a casting, stamping, or forging. There are probably people who don't know what it means as a technical term, but the word "billet" as I previously used it was applied correctly.

DCM1

TDI
2001 Jetta sedan 5 speed
I mean, you're right - it doesn't mean anything special. What it DOES refer to is a solid "billet" of material that gets fully machined or worked into the end product, as opposed to be a casting, stamping, or forging. There are probably people who don't know what it means as a technical term, but the word "billet" as I previously used it was applied correctly.
Yeah I didn’t take issue with your use, I mean in general when you’re looking through ads etc and it’s added like a sales gimmick. I’m a machinist as well.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Just my 2cents but you may sell more if you can provide new bolts and the o-ring. You could buy a few in mass since you know the exact sizing. I no longer have those parts from my old setup. Should have saved them but I tossed them with the broken piece.

I'd be willing to a pay a bit more for that since I am lazy AF and I hate buying things only for them not to fit right.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Looks good. I don’t need one, but I’d make both ears the same thicker thickness.
bingo...but I'd buy one.
Ok, let me qualify this decision a little bit. As it currently stands there are only two simple machine setups - a solid block in the mill where I cut everything facing the turbo inlet, and a simple lathe operation to cut and bore the other side. In order to make both ears the same thickness I'd need a third setup with a special fixture to hold a round part and make sure it's rotated correctly. This could certainly be done, but it would add time (and therefore cost) to the end product, when it's really nothing more than a cosmetic difference for all intents and purposes.

Just my 2cents but you may sell more if you can provide new bolts and the o-ring. You could buy a few in mass since you know the exact sizing. I no longer have those parts from my old setup. Should have saved them but I tossed them with the broken piece.

I'd be willing to a pay a bit more for that since I am lazy AF and I hate buying things only for them not to fit right.
Yes, I'm definitely planning on selling them with the oring and bolts! (Just like the coolant flanges and CCV plates) I just have to finish a good sample so I can measure for bolt length, and also measure a new oring so I can order a pack of 50 or so. Todd has offered to mail me a new one so I can do just that.

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Just a thought, can you make both ears the same thickness by offsetting one and still do the 2 setup method? Then, a simple round spacer drilled for the bolt behind the one ear to make things line up to the turbo threaded bolt standoffs.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Just a thought, can you make both ears the same thickness by offsetting one and still do the 2 setup method? Then, a simple round spacer drilled for the bolt behind the one ear to make things line up to the turbo threaded bolt standoffs.
Well, if I did the two setup method then there would be no reason to do anything else.

Screenshot_20221106_110413_Gallery.png

I'm not really sure why, but the two threaded standoffs on the turbo housing are different heights. The white arrow points to the one further back, the red arrows points to the one further forward. With my design the bolts heads will be on the same level once attached to the turbo. Putting a separate spacer behind one would just take extra work and make it difficult to install.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
So the next question is, who is going to make a mandrel bent aluminum tube that fits the stock airbox hose and mounts nicely so we can have a full featured product?

off topic, but some of the discontinued parts for the 1Z/AHU may be helpful to explore producing aftermarket. Or you could make an ALH pump bracket conversion kit… cuz I would love that.

Reactions: Rig

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
So the next question is, who is going to make a mandrel bent aluminum tube that fits the stock airbox hose and mounts nicely so we can have a full featured product?

off topic, but some of the discontinued parts for the 1Z/AHU may be helpful to explore producing aftermarket. Or you could make an ALH pump bracket conversion kit… cuz I would love that.
The bracket for the ALH pump could be sectioned and bolted together as 3 separate pieces.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
I mean that would be pretty awesome i guess. could be a few takers for such a thing. I plan to take care of my car for as long as I can. only thing preventing me from doing that is parts availability :LOL:

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I finally got in the 72" bar of aluminum that I ordered and whipped out another prototype today.

20221128_114934.jpg

20221128_144750.jpg

20221128_144754.jpg

20221128_144801.jpg

I've got a huge bag of new O-rings thanks to Todd, and only need to run to Fastenal for some mounting bolts. Other than that, I'll be ready to ship these to whoever wants them by the end of this week pending a good test fitment tonight.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
My prototype from the 28th was still too tight around the O-ring. The old O-ring would work, but the new one was much too tight. Todd actually warned me about this so I was halfway expecting to revise it anyway. Yesterday I made another that was .020" larger in the O-ring groove, and this one fit the turbo inlet perfectly. Not so loose than it slid right on, but not so tight that you have to fight it either.

20221129_171602.jpg

20221129_171608.jpg

20221129_171705.jpg

The old bolts actually kinda work, but the thick lobe only has about 3 threads sticking out. I've ordered 12 and 16mm zinc-coated shoulder bolts from Fastenal which should be here at the beginning of next week.

As previously mentioned, the "standard" design has a 2.02" ID x 1" deep inlet for inserting and welding a 2" OD aluminum tube. But I can make the inlet pretty much any size or configuration you want, just let me know what you need. I know some people want to clamp a silicone adapter on there, and I'd also like to make a version that you can epoxy directly to the rest of your stock elbow (if your mounting tabs have broken off).

Cost for these will be $110 shipped in the US, and $125 shipped abroad. I've already received payment from one member, if you'd like to order just PM me your email address and any additional details I need to know.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Actually, I just realized that my current design will definitely work for replacing the flange on the stock tube. If you cut off everything to the right of the red line, the end of the pipe will fit right inside the flange where you can epoxy or JB weld it in place. I might have to do this with mine, as one of the mounting tabs has broken off.

20221130_094605.jpg

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Did you ever have any luck installing the flange?
Not yet. I am rebuilding an engine for my new to me TDI Passat and the plan is to use it on that. Want to make an all aluminum pipe to get rid of all the plastic on the turbo inlet pipe. Have to get some material and fire up my tig.