Lupolucius Lupo

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
Here some pics from building a VW LUPO 1.9PD, 4x4.

Seems to be a potential turbo for LUPO sequential turbo setup.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
silverbox said:
stingray is that an aero exhaust mufler? if so do you find gains over straight pipe?
Yes its aeroexhaust , I like those mufflers especially on diesel.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Great pics! Loks totally BAD A$$, nice job!

One comment - it's very hard to look at the pics the way you have them posted. Try hitting "enter" after posting a pic in your post, that way it'll set each pic on its own line, instead of side-by-side. You post won't be 5 miles wide then which will make it easier to read.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
mydeathbynapalm said:
That exhaust manifold is wild!
Thx, I use a exhaust developing software so the desing is a functionality. Stepped, pulsed, 421 manifold.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
A 4-2-1? Photos on the other thread you have only gave a peak at the manifold...these are much better...amazing it all fits with the intake infront of it and still looks like reasonable access to the bolts.

Do you really notice a difference with the Aero muffler vs standard glasspack?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
StingrayRT said:
Thx, I use a exhaust developing software so the desing is a functionality. Stepped, pulsed, 421 manifold.
It all looks great StingRayrt , what type of exhaust are you going with with this setup this time.......to keep up the velocity/speed of the exhaust flow you have already created.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
mydeathbynapalm said:
A 4-2-1? Photos on the other thread you have only gave a peak at the manifold...these are much better...amazing it all fits with the intake infront of it and still looks like reasonable access to the bolts.

Do you really notice a difference with the Aero muffler vs standard glasspack?
It is very hard to tell you any gains from aeroexhaust but I´m sure that it create smooth power and nice sound. I can´t compare because I have high modified engine. I create 230hp from only 1.5bar of boost.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
How does the exhaust manifold with lots of welds hold up to the heat from heat wrap on a high power diesel?

I know that even on a gasser headers the heat wrap causes welds to fail and the metal to get brittle.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
use a tig welding and backpurge, SS304L, then ceramic barrier and insulation wrap.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
StingrayRT said:
use a tig welding and backpurge, SS304L, then ceramic barrier and insulation wrap.

Top notch. Too bad your not in the US. I'd love to let you build me a project Audi TT TDI PD150.

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Holy rods! Where did those come from? Also, can we get a peek at your intake manifold? When are you gonna start making these nice toys for us "regular" people? :D

I LOVE the Polo, I wish we had them. :(

Brendan

Justler

Veteran Member
The rods look similar to some kerma sourced awhile ago.

-- come with ARP 2000 rod bolts
-- weight matched in sets down to +-1gram
-- made from 4340CrNiMo steel
-- heat tempered in several stages and shot peened.

Pretty standard 4340 rods, +-1 gram is pretty decent.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
Forged rods come from EU. It has to be direct fit to our forged race pistons.

Justler

Veteran Member
StingrayRT said:
Forged rods come from EU. It has to be direct fit to our forged race pistons.
I believe that is where those rods are from, StingrayRT... Are the rods you are using also made from 4340? I'd assume your engine is bored a bit, has larger pistons and probably larger wrist pins.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
82mm bore, I also wanna add a stroked crankshaft but seems that we do not need more power just more traction. Yes it is 4340 CrMo material.

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
stage II - engine internals. FORGED VW PISTONS and 4340 heat treated rods with ARP.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Out of curiosity, are those pistons heavier than stock? Also, with so much material underneath, will the oil squirters do anything, and will cooling the piston crown be a concern?

Justler

Veteran Member
They are forged and are most likely lighter than stock. Even if they are the same weight as stock, the overall mass to the crank will be reduced because of the rods.

He did not specify that the pistons were 4340, but the rods are. The oil should go up the grooves in the sides of the rods and cool the piston as a whole pretty decently.

As an added step, you could probably get the pistons coated by Swaintech here in the U.S.

For any of you looking to build a totally custom bottom end, the price of the rods from Kerma (I think they are sourced from Red Rotors, but may not be) are a hell of a deal. You will not get a set of rods from big rod companies that are less than $1600... Believe me, i've fully investigated pretty much all options.

This is my next project, a totally custom bottom end with some other neat stuff that i'll keep a secret until it's done =P.