lubricity additive (what kind / how much)

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Not True

US diesel fuel is the worst fuel in the world....
:)

All one needs to do is travel about 70 miles South of my location to find worse fuel!

I have a 2011 jetta SW with the DSG transmission and I do not use any fuel additives.
Dealer told me you do not need them?
I thought the clean diesel had all the additives in it you need (summer blend and winter blend).

Rick
Rick,

Do a search! How long do you want to study that question?

If you choose to believe your dealers' incorrect advise, I say to you, GOOD LUCK! :p

Anything you can do to increase the lubricity in your fuel tank is cheap insurance
as far I am concerned. It does not matter how you do that, simply do it!
Doing so is cheap insurance against a possible HPFP failure.

:D

D

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I thought the clean diesel had all the additives in it you need (summer blend and winter blend)

Rick
"Clean diesel" does not pertain to the fuel. Our 2009+ TDIs are "clean diesel" cars because of their extensive emissions control systems. All US fuel is now "Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel" (ULSD), but this does not mean "clean diesel". It has less sulfur, so it is "cleaner" than older high sulfur fuel, but American diesel (ULSD) does not have to meet the same lubricity specifications as Canadian and European fuels. Bosch (a German company) designed our HPFPs based on European fuel standards. This is why many members here have decided that US diesel fuel needs some help in the lubricity (lubricating ability) department. VW does not advocate additives for 2 main reasons. 1) they do not want to admit that their cars require additives, and 2) They do not want to test hundreds of available additives and choose one (or more) to endorse. They also do not want owners to use "bad" additives - there are some of these around also. Do a search here for "lubricity + additive" and you will find several lengthy threads discussing many different additives and their individual pluses and minuses.

Have Fun!

Don

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I do not use any fuel additives. dealer told me you do not need them? I thought the clean diesel had all the additives in it you need (summer blend and winter blend)

Rick
Your dealer told you that because that's what they have to tell you. With a 2011 car, you likely have a HPFP with 2 of the 3 pump updates and you MAY not have as much to worry about as people with older pumps. Do some reading on injector/fuel pump lifespans with 520 um rated fuel in the U.S. vs. pump life with fuel rated in the 400's like the rest of the civilized world has. (These are wear scar numbers. Lower numbers are better). It ain't pretty. Unless you're running a biodiesel blend, add some approved lubricant to your fuel in the recommended doses.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Lubricity is less because of less sulpher. I use STP, 4 ounces with every fill. The result is no intake clogging, no pump leaks so far with 110k miles.

Klystron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I keep about 15 gallons of B100 from Houston Bio-Diesel on hand. At every fill up I mix in enough B100 to make a B5 mixture and add some OPTI-LUBE XPD. I look at it as cheap insurance because I tend to keep cars till they just about rust off the frame.

11JTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Not for lubricity, B1-B2 offers much better HFRR scores.
Can someone tell me since I am new to TDI's and still learning...I bought some Optilube XPD, and since then also found that the newest Enmark station sells diesel labeled as 2-5% (B2-B5) biodiesel. First, is Enmark an ok brand to use? Second, am I going to hurt anything by using the small mixture of bio AND the XPD??

--Jon

1120JettaTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'll admit I don't know much about VW diesels in particular. But on the Chevy, Ford, & Dodge truck diesel forums its common knowledge not to use additives on newer diesel trucks because it ruins the injectors and shortens the life of the DPF filter. Injectors are almost $800 each x 8 injectors + labor = big money. DPFs run us 2-3K parts on the trucks. I will say its probably more important to make sure your fuel pump doesn't grenade leaving metal parts in the injectors. None of the trucks are having recurring problems with fuel pumps going bad. Seems like a VW quality issue with their pumps.

FoxONE

TDI
10 JSW
XPD Diesel Fuel Improver--1 Quart in Graduated Bottle
(Treats up to 128 Gallons of Fuel) more info $15.95

, 128/14 gallon tank is 9.14

$15.95/9.14=$1.70

XPD Diesel Fuel Improver--1 Gallon w/ Dispensing Pump & 16oz Graduated Bottle
(Treats up to 500 Gallons of Fuel) more info $42.95

With the gallon jug it works out to $1.20

Am I doing the math right to get the price per tank?

This does not include shipping though.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I'll admit I don't know much about VW diesels in particular. But on the Chevy, Ford, & Dodge truck diesel forums its common knowledge not to use additives on newer diesel trucks because it ruins the injectors and shortens the life of the DPF filter. Injectors are almost $800 each x 8 injectors + labor = big money. DPFs run us 2-3K parts on the trucks. I will say its probably more important to make sure your fuel pump doesn't grenade leaving metal parts in the injectors. None of the trucks are having recurring problems with fuel pumps going bad. Seems like a VW quality issue with their pumps.
GM says not to use an additive, but if you want to use one, only use one that is recommended by them.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119737

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I suggest going to the Fuels & Lubricants subforum here.

The short answer is B2/B5 biofuel blend or premium diesel (460 wear scar variety).