Lowering Springs

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
I'm looking to lower my car as the wheel gap is too much for my liking.
Anybody looking to do the same?
Anybody already lower their car?
If so, what did you end up going with? Springs? Coilovers? Which ones? Any impressions/opinions from "old" owners would be great with all the mileage they've accrued.

Thanks

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
I've been pondering this as well with my own 2015. Truth be told, there are a few cons to doing this:
- The (stock) suspension geometry on standard Golfs is actually superior to what the GTI has. See this month's article in C&D that compares both cars.
- You will have to make adjustments to the headlights to compensate for the lowered stance. Cars with the lighting package have to recalibrate the leveling system as well.
- Higher spring rates will overtax the stock tires.
- I suspect that flaws inherent with the torsion beam rear will become more apparent with less suspension travel.

The pros? A better looking vehicle with go-cart-like handling. No dispute there.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
I put hr sport springs on my 2013 golf tdi not to lower it (which it did by about an inch and a half) but for tighter handling. I did that at about 20k miles. Put them right on with the stock struts. I now have 160k. I've not come across any negative effects. Even the stock struts still feel fine. I just bought a new 2015 golf tdi and plan on putting the same springs on asap, I love them.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the driver gear springs on my '14 TDI and they're perfect for a DD. Slight drop (less than an inch) with nice snappy handling.

I bought an S2000 brand new back in 2001. That's my handling benchmark. :)

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I put the H&R sport springs on my '15 GSW. The springs lowered it about 1.5" and it handles better. The ride is firmer but nowhere near as firm as the '87 GTI I had with race springs. ;)

Before:

After:

Last edited:

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
Excellent. Def considering this for my GSW S.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
How did the alignment look after the drop? Was everything still within spec?

I put the H&R sport springs on my '15 GSW. The springs lowered it about 1.5" and it handles better. The ride is firmer but nowhere near as firm as the '87 GTI I had with race springs. ;)

Before:

After:

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
How did the alignment look after the drop? Was everything still within spec?

That's one concern I have and while I'll probably just wait til these stock tires wear out. Then I can get new springs/wheels/tires/alignment all at once ;)

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I am not sure if these cars have Camber adjustment at the front. I don't think so. If not there will not be anything you can do to fix the front end alignment other than tweak the toe to minimize the effects of the camber error. Because the rear is torsion beam there is no camber or toe change with lowering so the rear should be fine.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I am not sure if these cars have Camber adjustment at the front. I don't think so. If not there will not be anything you can do to fix the front end alignment other than tweak the toe to minimize the effects of the camber error. Because the rear is torsion beam there is no camber or toe change with lowering so the rear should be fine.
No front adjustment with the balljoint on the MK7. Have had both off a couple times. Thinking of springs as well, just do not like that wheel gap!

CrazyMonkey

TDI
No front adjustment with the balljoint on the MK7. Have had both off a couple times. Thinking of springs as well, just do not like that wheel gap!
Correct, there is no camber adjustment in the front. I had it aligned after the installation. If I remember correctly, the toe had to be adjusted slightly after the installation of the springs. I can dig up the paperwork if someone really wants.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Correct, there is no camber adjustment in the front. I had it aligned after the installation. If I remember correctly, the toe had to be adjusted slightly after the installation of the springs. I can dig up the paperwork if someone really wants.
Did you ever come across that paperwork? I'd kind of like to see how it turned out on paper, ie, within specs or just how far out if so.

Thanks!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Here were my results. Picked up at least 2mpg from the alignment and wheel/tire combo being 6lbs lighter on my car.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Here were my results. Picked up at least 2mpg from the alignment and wheel/tire combo being 6lbs lighter on my car.

Thanks for that! Did you end up going with the VWR springs and if so, care to show off the new stance (and before if you have it??). I brought home my very own GSW S TDI this evening. I just couldn't pass up the deal since mother nature basically made me change my Dieselgate claim from Fix to Buy back.... :( Look here to see how she treated my car https://youtu.be/DYhnUvE8ymY

*I have an email out to Raceline to figure out the right part for us GSW TDI peeps but would like to know what you went with.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Before:

After:
Hope I do not come over as rude.

The 1.5 inches looks just low enough to tangle with parking curbs, on perpendicular parking.

But GAD ~~ That is one gorgeous red

luckydpt

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual (Previous: 3 ALH's )
adjat84th
what wheel tire combo did you go with? I am thinking of looking for a lighter set up myself for my Golf S. (I want to use the 16's for a winter set up)

Thanks

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The VWR/Bilstein combo is very firm, as firm or slightly more than a previous stock MK6 GTI we had. I do wish the front was a tad higher, but I can live with it.
Enkei PF01 18"x8" with Continental Extreme contact DWS. Wheels are 5lbs lighter than stock 18"s, tires 1lb lighter than the Pirellis were.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
The VWR/Bilstein combo is very firm, as firm or slightly more than a previous stock MK6 GTI we had. I do wish the front was a tad higher, but I can live with it.
Enkei PF01 18"x8" with Continental Extreme contact DWS. Wheels are 5lbs lighter than stock 18"s, tires 1lb lighter than the Pirellis were.

Thanks for the reply and pics! I'm going to pull the trigger on the VWR springs and will match them up with the stock struts and will be adding my 17in Goal's that I'm taking off my MK5.

I'll post up pics, before and after, once I get around to doing the work.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I highly recommend upgrading shocks alongside the springs. I tried just springs and couldn't stand it! Granted, mine had 60k miles on them, but it was very crashy and even the smaller bumps caused banging in the cabin.... Nope nope nope

Maybe with something better than a 40 series tire and less than 38psi you could skate by with. Just my opinion though

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I highly recommend upgrading shocks alongside the springs. I tried just springs and couldn't stand it! Granted, mine had 60k miles on them, but it was very crashy and even the smaller bumps caused banging in the cabin.... Nope nope nope

Maybe with something better than a 40 series tire and less than 38psi you could skate by with. Just my opinion though

I appreciate the response! My car has only 150 miles on it and the tires will be 225/45 R17's running them at 40psi so we shall see.

Thanks!

CrazyMonkey

TDI
Hope I do not come over as rude.
The 1.5 inches looks just low enough to tangle with parking curbs, on perpendicular parking.
But GAD ~~ That is one gorgeous red
Not at all. I'm used to driving low cars and this isn't as low as several I have had (one I still have). I just make sure I keep away from the parking curbs. It would definitely smash into one. ;)

And thanks, I really like the red. I never thought I would go red due to the police attraction factor, but I did really like that color when I first saw it.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Just saw this. I'll look for it. I'm sure I still have it somewhere.
Don't look too hard, someone posted up above and the change was negleable. Thanks for checking though! I'm planning on doing the VWR springs for our TDI.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: I got an email directly from Raceline saying that the springs that are available for our FWD TDI aren't "really" designed for the car and may introduce a reverse rake because of the weight difference. Do any of you have the VWR + stock strut/spring on your GSW TDI that could sure pictures or center of wheel to fender measurements? They did day a TDI specific set might be done in the future but for now they don't exist.

I saw something on Vortex about a different spacer or spring perch to address reverse rake but I need to look into it more.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk