Lower control arm nut stripped

Redneckeric

TDI
03 Jetta
As the title states the im replacing the control arms on my 03 jetta. Went to put the new arm in and the captured nut had broke loose. Cut a hole and had it welded. Went to reinstall arm and now the nut is physically stripped. Got to about 40 ft/lbs and the bolt goes from righty tighty to righty loosey. Obviously i need to cut the hole again but what size is the nut and should i get a nylock nut?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If I’m reading this correct you repaired the capture nut and then stripped the repair, correct? I would try and helicoil it before I cut it back open and repaired it again, use some never seize on the bolt threads.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
If I’m reading this correct you repaired the capture nut and then stripped the repair, correct? I would try and helicoil it before I cut it back open and repaired it again, use some never seize on the bolt threads.
That nut is burried; not sure a helicoil will reach deep enough. Time for a flanged, grade 12.9 nut...and never-sees( cause ya don't ever want to see it again... LOL )

Not sure what I'd do in your place; replacing the subframe is not too far out of line...

Douglas

Instigatr

TDI
03 Golf 2 door MTM
Where does one typically get access to the nut at? My passenger side is broke loose :(
Anyone have a picture with the access hole still open? I have a welder and a cutting torch, but didn't really want to use it without knowing what's behind there....
Thanks
Aaron

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check this tread out , has pics too.

Instigatr

TDI
03 Golf 2 door MTM
Swap in a non-tooefed subframe. Takes 20 minutes.
My hopefully unbuggered subframe is still underneath my 99 golf wagon parts car with still 2 feet of snow on/around it. I like the idea though.
Check this tread out , has pics too.

Thanks! Apparently my search wasn't good enough or I didn't word it correctly.
Aaron