Low Sulfur Diesel in VA?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If it was not a brand new pump, then I bet it's a label from the last time the sulpher value was reduced, what, about 10 years ago.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I was driving between DC and Richmond yesterday. I stopped at a Texaco at exit 92 on I95 and the station's diesel pump was labeled as premium (no cetane rating shown) and also had, in fairly small print "Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Suitable for all Deisel Engines"

I was in a gasser at the time.

Do we even have a specification for low sulfur diesel in the US? I've never seen such a label on a Texaco pump in VA. Is this common and I've just never seen it?

Tim

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
In other words, the "low sulphur" moniker applies to current standard diesel fuel, with up to 500 ppm sulphur levels. (Earlier diesel fuel was allowed to have something like 3000 or 5000 ppm.
)
The upcoming standard of maximum 15ppm sulphur levels in diesel fuel is known as ULSD, or "ultra-low sulphur diesel".

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
So, low sulfur is only low until it all gets low, then it is normal.

Low now would be something less than what was low then.

So it's not low anymore.

Gee, that was fun!

Maybe they should get rid of that misleading label. Come to think of it, it did look kinda old and dirty...

Thanks guys,

Tim

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Most texaco pumps in this area have that label. Just go to exit 104 and fill up at the Mr Fuel... best diesel around.