Low on oil, dark in color and seeming like excessive vapors in valve cover.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Was prompted to or considered checking oil and fill of coolants knowing that I was probably past due on that. Found oil was under acceptable low limit. Thought it better to add whatever oil than nothin. Only gas stations were open this morning and no deisel specific oil available. I added a quart of 10w 30 I think it was and a little oil additive. I probably should oil change. Rotella T perhaps... I took note that there is oil seepage from the valve cover gasket area. The valve cover was made in China while my car was built in Germany. I expect to see VW/AUDI parts that are manufactured in Mexico but seeing the cover seemed an aftermarket part being significantly shinier in appearance is a little suspect for perhaps timing belt failure and valve damages perhaps at sometime. Maybe this is indicative of what caused a shaking at speed around 80. Could timing belt failure and perhaps valve damage cause a change of engine rotational mass balance to be a little off?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
The valve cover is integrated with the gasket on these cars. If you have a leaky VC gasket the whole cover must be replaced.

The URO valve cover is probably what is on there as it is 1/3 the cost of a new OE VC. My mom's Jetta has one and it's held up good so far, no leaks.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Definitely change your oil ASAP. Rotella T6 is good.

If you suspect a previous timing belt event or runaway, a compression test should tell you if there is something wrong.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Stop and take a breath....
Wrong oil is better than no oil...and the wrong oil is more of a longer term issue, mostly due to emissions system, and ash from when it burns. You are due for an oil change, do it. Rotella is a good diesel oil, but usually not on the list of VW oils, greatly debated, but just a fact. Not bad stuff, just a bit too high in ASH content.
You will find a diesel engine has dark oil within a few hundred miles of changing it.....
A replacement Valve cover, no big deal, many parts come from China since they have a production line there, and it's the low cost source for many items...might not be the best choice, but honestly, you don't know in many cases till you open the box. It seems to be working...
Since the engine is turning at the same speed at 80 as even 40 depending on the gear, I would honestly look at rotating items in the drivetrain.....tires or rims can cause crazy harmonic vibration at some speeds, and it's Winter....so ice, sand, salt, etc are all stuck on them in many areas.
Get caught up on items you need to do before you jump to conclusions....some cars do burn a bit of oil....now you know to check it. Sounds like you got lucky. Keep an eye on the gasket.
Many engines "have a history" and stressing over it if it was fixed right won't help. Many people tend to read lists of problems and fear the worst, and go down the rabbit hole.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like maybe you don't regularly check the oil. Can you guess how many miles it's been? These cars sometimes use a quart at 2,000 miles more or less. Change the oil when you can (you're not in extremem danger). Then monitor to see whats up, leak or burn. Leaky valve cover will be obvious.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Thanks I'm not really stressing on the car though I do seem to be getting a little lazier though. I don't think the valve cover is a bad cover I mentioned the Made because I thought it was indicative of replacement because the previous one had a valve shot through it. If the gasket is in fact integral with the cover that means it must be changed each time the timing belt is? I have never seen that mentioned that I can remember in timing belt replacement videos or read that. The cover (with gasket of course) could be reused and I imagine is frequently after being removed for any reason other than leaking or other damage. I would think it a good practice to heat the valve cover gasket a little while removed or other techniques for getting it to expand a little if not wouldn't it be necessary to slightly over torque the cover when replaced to prevent leaking? I get that its not a ton of pressure on that particular gasket so probably not right? Oh is it usual to see a mass of grey sludge collection around the oil fill cap of the valve cover? The purpose of Ash in oil is to act as a wetting agent and/or a detergent is that correct?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Just reinstall it at the proper torque. Not normally changed with timing belt.

Never heard of any purpose for ash in oil.

Sounds like a leaky oil cap but grey? Any grey inside the cap? That might indicate coolant leakage into the oil from the head gasket or oil cooler.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thanks I'm not really stressing on the car though I do seem to be getting a little lazier though. I don't think the valve cover is a bad cover I mentioned the Made because I thought it was indicative of replacement because the previous one had a valve shot through it. If the gasket is in fact integral with the cover that means it must be changed each time the timing belt is? I have never seen that mentioned that I can remember in timing belt replacement videos or read that. The cover (with gasket of course) could be reused and I imagine is frequently after being removed for any reason other than leaking or other damage. I would think it a good practice to heat the valve cover gasket a little while removed or other techniques for getting it to expand a little if not wouldn't it be necessary to slightly over torque the cover when replaced to prevent leaking? I get that its not a ton of pressure on that particular gasket so probably not right? Oh is it usual to see a mass of grey sludge collection around the oil fill cap of the valve cover? The purpose of Ash in oil is to act as a wetting agent and/or a detergent is that correct?
Can you post a photo of the grey sludge? There is not supposed to be sludge at all, grey sludge kinda sounds scary... how long has it been since the timing belt has been replaced? How about the oil, when was last it was changed?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Ash is the byproduct of oil burning...it collects in the emissions system, eventually destroying it.
All oils used for Diesel engines that have emissions switched to low or ultra low ash oils to extend the life of the emissions systems....some manufacturers, like VW are much more aggressive in calling for very low ash producing oil.

Finding a residue on the oil cap, sludgey doesn't sound good. You say d you are overdue on an oil change.... suggest you do it ASAP.
Could be the result of "additives' you or the prior owners used... generally most avoid most oil additives and just use a quality oil, with fuel additives as needed for temperature.
Maybe it's just gunk you can flush, and get on track to with a few well timed oil changes.
Good luck. Enjoy the car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It could also be engine precipitate or oil collecting dirt and dust over time. Picture should help. But it's not normal to see ash deposits, it is normal to see a bit of mess in the EGR area.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Change the oil. If there is a coolant leak and it's bad enough, you will see it in the oil. It will look like a milkshake. If it's a minor leak, it may not be noticeable.

You can also get an oil analysis kit and have them test a sample for coolant contamination. Cost is $20-$40 per kit. WIx kits are the cheapest and sold at some NAPA stores.

If you have milkshake oil I would start budgeting for some major engine work as it likely caused significant damage

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The area around the oil fill hole can become nasty from spilled oil, leaky cap seal or blowing over from the vent hole on the EGR (worn internal non-serviceable seal). With all the oil, add vibes from the engine and the rubber thingy rubbing the aluminum creates a sludge looking mess. Just clean-up the mess and observe. Yes, the Valve Pan and gasket can be used over and over! Typically, people use a bit of RTV in the "corners" when putting it back on.

Rotella T 6 5w-40 is awesome Diesel rated oil and will serve your engine just fine. My formerly owned 2000 is pushing 390k miles on the stuff. The ALH in my Vanagon has a similar history with Rotella (and zero Valve Cover oil leaks). And, the engine in my 03 has over 360k on the Rotella!

Seems there's not much of a problem looking for a solution here ......... just typical maintenance attention needed. And, I will say, wrong oil is far, far better than no oil, as others have said.