Low Oil Pressure - BEW

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
With all of those changed, there isn't much left... Rod/main bearings, cam followers.... When you had the pan off, did you check the mains or rod bearings?
No, we didn't.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
I suppose it's possible for a catastrophic turbo failure to put bigger pieces of metal like that into the oil. Was there ever a good engine flushing done at that time? Kind of looks like some remaining bits may have caused enough damage. Only takes one or two badly damaged bearings to drop the oil pressure.
It had a catastrophic turbo failure 60K miles ago. I had it replaced by a repair shop in 2018. I'm thinking maybe they didn't flush the engine. I was a new TDI owner at the time and I drove it about 15 miles until it quit running. I know that's the worst thing to do now. What can I say I was green.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Are you sure those are turbo pieces and not pieces of a failed lifter from the past?

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure those are turbo pieces and not pieces of a failed lifter from the past?
I'm not sure what they are. I'm just speculating. I'll gladly take all the advice anyone has on those pieces.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I could be wrong if I am someone correct me.
I remember reading some where, I believe it was the bew engine where an oil galley plug under the valve cover works it way loose….. it at the end of an oil passage run , it might be worth it to pull valve cover and look around for a plug of metal….I think it’s around a1/4 or 3/8 round stock.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
We will do that. Thanks. I need all the help I can get

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
I have owned the car since 156K miles. I have not replaced lifters during my tenure and no mention in the Carfax report. Currently 218K miles. I'm not disputing your opinion at all. I'm just sharing the info I have.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah…. Car facts are only as good as the information that is put in……if it’s not reported …..it doesn’t get listed as an issue. Not the first time a car we’ve bought had no history about an accident only to find it was in a fender bender.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Obviously car repairs by private owners will not show in car reports. I would be nice to know what got chewed in case it's detrimental now, and all the bits and pieces need flushed out good before moving on.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Obviously car repairs by private owners will not show in car reports. I would be nice to know what got chewed in case it's detrimental now, and all the bits and pieces need flushed out good before moving on.
We cleaned the oil pan thoroughly. How do you suggest we flush?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
We cleaned the oil pan thoroughly. How do you suggest we flush?
At your own risk of course this is how I would do it with pan and cover off and new oil pump and filter housing probably removed too (don't want flushed particles into either one). Pella oil extractor or rags to remove galley oil and straight diesel engine flush in pump sprayer and long pipe brushes etc. Turbo lines taken off and done separate, blown out good. Engine hit from topside then underside. Catch it,pour it through a fine strainer or cheese cloth and repeat as needed. Then pump and housing back on, lid and pan on, fill with 30w oil and engine flush, run 15 min but don't rev it, drain. Do fill run drain, twice.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I could be wrong if I am someone correct me.
I remember reading some where, I believe it was the bew engine where an oil galley plug under the valve cover works it way loose….. it at the end of an oil passage run , it might be worth it to pull valve cover and look around for a plug of metal….I think it’s around a1/4 or 3/8 round stock.
That would be the plugs in the ends of the BEW's injector rocker shafts. At either end, in the center.
cheers,
Douglas

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
We are going to pull the valve cover off this week and inspect. Pictures to follow.