Low Fuel Rail Pressure

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'm gonna have to try and get my car to get CEL. Driving down my road on way home car just cuts out with flashing glow plug light :mad: , was able to coast into my driveway. Turn car off, restart, and no cel. Not sure if it's same kinda problem OP had.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm gonna have to try and get my car to get CEL. Driving down my road on way home car just cuts out with flashing glow plug light :mad: , was able to coast into my driveway. Turn car off, restart, and no cel. Not sure if it's same kinda problem OP had.
Try to make it happen again. The first time it happened to ours, there was no MIL, just the flashing GP light and limp mode. I turned the car off and then back on and when it went into limp mode the second time the MIL came on with the flashing GP light. Even if the MIL doesn't come on, there's still a code stored that you can read if you have access to VCDS, or you can have it read at your F.L.A.P.S.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, got problems now. left house to go to town- happened 3 times before I got to end of my road(1.5 miles) , then when I started it up 3rd time and pulled away from shoulder I gunned it and the CEL was triggered along with flashing glow plug light. Re started again. At end of road waiting to turn, stalled again. Backed up and turned around, twice more on way home. When light starts flashing, no throttle response and when it slows down enough it stalls. The last time it stalled I tried restarting without turning off-just cranked for couple seconds. Turned ignition off, restarted fine. Made it home. CEL still on. Only code is P2149-voltage supply for fuel injector Group B/ open circuit. Google didn't return much, couple non-English YouTube videos. Only thread I saw on here was for an '09, they replaced a wiring harness...this code was from a Zurich scanner, tomorrow I'll see if the VCDS comes back with more info.... don't think I'd be able to drive it to dealer about 45 miles away, but will wait till windshield gets replaced on Thursday before contacting dealer....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Choices and consequences....
Will be using the VCDS today, weather is much better. Car is basically undrivable on the road anyway, so it's only gonna get towed later this week to a dealer. Won't be till after Thursday, Safelite coming to house to mount windshield that day...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Will be using the VCDS today, weather is much better. Car is basically undrivable on the road anyway, so it's only gonna get towed later this week to a dealer. Won't be till after Thursday, Safelite coming to house to mount windshield that day...
I'm pretty sure your issue is different from ours. The car drove fine as long as I was gentle on the throttle. I drove it from Westerly to Baltimore at 65 MPH on Rt 95 most of the way without it going into limp mode. Mash the throttle, BINGO...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
It's silly to have the ability to see what's wrong and not to make use of it. Vehicles usually go into limp mode because they are trying to save themselves.

At least do a full scan and save it so that when the shop calls you to tell you what's wrong you have some info in order to decide if it seems legit or if they are just pulling your leg.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm new to VCDS, so I'm nervous about using it in fear of messing something up, especially on the '15 . What would I do a full scan of? I started car, took a little longer to start. Opened hood, engine has more of a shake than it used to. Took it around the block, probably around 3 miles, drove fine but CEL still on. Had a little more info on speed and such of when it happened. At least the CEL didn't disappear...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
When you open VCDS you will see "Auto Scan". Just click on the button and follow the directions. If you have any problems, just visit the RossTech website. If you have a genuine VCDS cable, tech support is free...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Browse the RossTech site so you get familiar with how to use the tool you have.... no point in having such a capable tool if you don't know how to use it at all.
You can also check their youtube channel. It has numerous videos on lots of procedures, etc.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm only suggesting that you pull the code because your "voltage supply" generic code could be a wiring issue... if that's the case, you'll be on the hook for both diagnostic and repair fees as the AEM warranty won't cover that..... so it will be good to know as much info about the error before you get the dealer calling you and telling you that they can fix it for a few $k worth of your dollars.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Welp, started car today and no CEL. Took it to wash it , 10 miles round trip, no problems, drove fine. Got home, parked in front of garage for windshield replacement tomorrow. Hooked VCDS up, did autoscan. Came back with P2149, voltage supply for fuel injector group B/open circuit. Just what the Zurich said. I did take engine cover off and inspected the wiring coming off injector plugs that weren't wrapped, no broken or worn through ones. Did not disconnect and reconnect injector plug connections. I cleared the DTC, and wait for CEL to come on again... I'll have to double check the AEW, I did get the top one...

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Tank lift pump. You could also try priming the fuel system using obd eleven or vcds, you might hear some strange noises from the tank lift pump, located under rear bench seat. Easily removeable.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tank lift pump. You could also try priming the fuel system using obd eleven or vcds, you might hear some strange noises from the tank lift pump, located under rear bench seat. Easily removeable.
Is this in reply to my P2149 code? It's been running and driving fine since last week when CEL went away on it's own....

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Is this in reply to my P2149 code? It's been running and driving fine since last week when CEL went away on it's own....
No, not you ;) I found this video on Youtube, maybe related to your intermittent issue.
The guy speaks a foreign language but tell me at the 5:59 mark it appears he is showing the audience a melted sleeve causing a short on some wire? Edit: I found your original thread, you mentioned having seen a foreign language video, so you likely saw it already. Disregard then.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, not you ;) I found this video on Youtube, maybe related to your intermittent issue.
The guy speaks a foreign language but tell me at the 5:59 mark it appears he is showing the audience a melted sleeve causing a short on some wire? Edit: I found your original thread, you mentioned having seen a foreign language video, so you likely saw it already. Disregard then.
That's video I saw, but since I don't understand language, didn't watch it. Thank you for watching it, I'll check out the area he found melted ..

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My harness looked a little flat where it was touching that housing, but wasn't worn through.Over 3 weeks since CEL went off by itself and no issues so far. Can the code be deleted from the ecu, or will it remain forever?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
My harness looked a little flat where it was touching that housing, but wasn't worn through.Over 3 weeks since CEL went off by itself and no issues so far. Can the code be deleted from the ecu, or will it remain forever?
correct me if I'm wrong but I once read that once a fault hits 256 times not detected on ignition cycles, it clears from the ecu? That may be incorrect or very outdated but you could clear it with a scan tool. Edit: yeah Im sure you dont have an 8 bit ECU from the early 90s so you're gonna have to clear it 😄