Low Beam bulb out

Otts

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
My low beam went out 2 weeks ago at around 20k. Told the dealer about this thread and how it wasn't a simple bulb change - they had my car for two days and seemingly fixed it. Had it for a couple of days and the bulb went out again. Back to the dealer. :-(

This has been my only issue in 20k miles so I'm not real worried.

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
anyone with this issue fix it on their own WITHOUT replacing the entire headlamp assembly?

i may have. i tightened up the connections on the bulb holder. headlight works fine now but too soon to tell if this fix is permanent since my original problem was an intermittent headlight out thing. i have a good feeling bout it but wanna get some more miles on before calling it a success.

bob.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Is this limited to the 2012's or should I expect this to happen on my 2013?

Have we seen this issue pop up on a 2013 yet?

magrider

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I think compu_85 is right. If your fuses are fine and more convincingly if you are getting ~12v across the two contacts on the back of the low beam reflector receiver ring, and it still won't work with a good bulb, then the problem is with your bulb adapter/socket thingy:

Chances of something going wrong with the wires inside your headlight is minimal. Here is a picture of the headlight with the lens, DRL/Turn Signal trim and low beam reflector removed:

The positive and ground wires stem from individual light sockets and connect to the factory connector on the back of the headlight, with the grounds being tied together mid way. Very simple just a bunch of wires, no integrated circuits whatsoever.

If your car in still in warranty then by all means get a new headlight from the dealer for free. But if it is going to be on your dime then chances are you just need to fix/replace the low beam bulb adapter part. The pair of factory reject headlights(1 of them pictured above) I got from ebay had faulty low beam bulb adapters on BOTH of them, so I am guessing this is a common problem.

Last edited:

DLerner

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
low beam

The week of Thanksgiving I got the warming that my driverside lowbeam went out. It wasnt the bulb it was the control module. The dealership replaced it. Today the passanger lowbeam went out. Called the dealership and they advised what they replaced last time controls all the lights on the front of the car. Bringing in the car next week to have them look at it. My car is 9 months old and has a little over 18k on it. The light issue is not the only problem I have had wih my car. At 11k on a holiday weekend driving from NC to NJ and 50 miles from home. The fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump. So, car ran died and had to be towed to the dealership.

Oceanside

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Just had my 10k service done. A couple days before I went in the driver side headlamp warning came on, seemed like a bulb out. The dealer later stated they had to replace the entire headlamp unit because it was an "internal fault" not a bulb problem. Interesting that they had the replacement unit in stock.
Wonder if this is a widespread issue and if it is limited to the driver side?
I think it may be. It happened to my 12 passat @ 5k then again @ around 12k. It didn't go out again until the other day @ 29k then just the next day it popped again. ***?! I had been replacing them myself since VW made it so easy. I took it to the dealer and they charged me $40 because they said "since it was an aftermarket part (light bulb) and installed it myself, it was not covered." I can somewhat understand that but it's just a light bulb for crying out loud. I told them they have just installed the 4th one and clearly there is a problem. I tested the sockets with a multi meter and I had good reading at idle and holding a rev. I did however get a slightly high reading upon start. I think it may be a heat issue also.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think it may be. It happened to my 12 passat @ 5k then again @ around 12k. It didn't go out again until the other day @ 29k then just the next day it popped again. ***?! I had been replacing them myself since VW made it so easy. I took it to the dealer and they charged me $40 because they said "since it was an aftermarket part (light bulb) and installed it myself, it was not covered." I can somewhat understand that but it's just a light bulb for crying out loud. I told them they have just installed the 4th one and clearly there is a problem. I tested the sockets with a multi meter and I had good reading at idle and holding a rev. I did however get a slightly high reading upon start. I think it may be a heat issue also.
Welcome to the forums... going to be in the Myrtle Beach area in May if you're interested in having a mini meet-up.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
11,000 miles, right low beam won't stay light. Took it to dealer and they replaced the entire light assembly also. Good to go.

Nightbird

TDI
2012 passat
same here.
1 year old car.
15000 miles
passenger side low beam is out.
Issue is between the bulb harness and headlight housing. Light won't stay on.
I may have to go to the dealership as well.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I'm seinf a lot NMS Passats with DRL is out. What's up with this VW is putting cheap chine bulbs?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The bulbs for the DRLs are actually made in Japan. The problem is the lamp isn't designed to last a super long time... the lamp used is supposed to be for turn signals and reverse lights.

-J

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
i'm convinced headlight bulb holders can be repaired.

anyone with this issue fix it on their own WITHOUT replacing the entire headlamp assembly?

i may have. i tightened up the connections on the bulb holder. headlight works fine now but too soon to tell if this fix is permanent since my original problem was an intermittent headlight out thing. i have a good feeling bout it but wanna get some more miles on before calling it a success.

bob.
kl;

UPDATE 9 SEP 2013:
so today, with just less than 60,000 miles on the odometer, i had another "headlight out" warning on the MFI. checked it and found that the bulb actually was burned out. replaced the bulb and it works fine again.

since this was the same side i "fixed" 20,000 miles ago, i am convinced that the "rework" i did to the bulb holder (tightened up connections at the bulb and to the headlight assembly) cured my original intermittant headlight out problem. i believe this is an ok fix for anyone who is beyond having this problem resolved under warranty and much cheaper than replacing the entire headlight assembly.

another alternative is to replace just the bulb holder. mine have the VW part number molded into the plastic. i googled it and found them online at about $7.00 each. i have two spare headlight bulb holders in the garage just in case.

bob.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
At 34k, driver's side low-beam went out. Dealer replaced the entire headlight assembly under warranty.
I was told they've done a bunch of these, so they keep them in stock. There is no TSB on the issue, though.
I was told that a $20 "kit" is available, only replacing the bulb connecting/contact ring, but the parts department doesn't have the "kit", so VWoA is telling them to just replace the entire headlight assembly.
Ridiculous. What a waste of money. When/if my right side low-beam goes out, I hope I can find a "kit", instead of paying $400+ for the entire assembly.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Glad we bypassed that silly contact ring assembly with our HID installation. :)

Tornado-TDI

TDI
Golf
kl;
UPDATE 9 SEP 2013:
so today, with just less than 60,000 miles on the odometer, i had another "headlight out" warning on the MFI. checked it and found that the bulb actually was burned out. replaced the bulb and it works fine again.
since this was the same side i "fixed" 20,000 miles ago, i am convinced that the "rework" i did to the bulb holder (tightened up connections at the bulb and to the headlight assembly) cured my original intermittant headlight out problem. i believe this is an ok fix for anyone who is beyond having this problem resolved under warranty and much cheaper than replacing the entire headlight assembly.
another alternative is to replace just the bulb holder. mine have the VW part number molded into the plastic. i googled it and found them online at about $7.00 each. i have two spare headlight bulb holders in the garage just in case.
bob.
Hello flybybob,
I have tightened the contacts on the light bulb holder several times. Just did it again for good measure and hope it works. Do you happen to have the part # you used to find the part online? I have bad eyes and the little bit I was able to see didn't come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!