Love the Chain!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
For grins checking out the spec's of the new Touareg and saw the following:

Valve Train - Chain driven dual overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder, maintenance free hydraulic lifters
Woo Hoo! Can't wait.:rolleyes:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I think a lot of DOHC engines are chain driven, and motorcycle and bicycle wheels. Point is, a properly designed chain drive is a good thing.
The BHW fiasco fails on so many levels, it taints opinions on all chain drive systems.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I think a lot of DOHC engines are chain driven, and motorcycle and bicycle wheels. Point is, a properly designed chain drive is a good thing.
The BHW fiasco fails on so many levels, it taints opinions on all chain drive systems.
Yes, but can we trust VAG to properly design one? :rolleyes:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
I have a Honda Nighthawk S that has chain/starter drive.

Starting one day it snapped. End of riding. Fix is to pull engine, split case, replace chain, and then put it back together. Sweet. Yep, chains are wonderful.

And we won't talk about what chains did to the Chevy nylon gears

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I'm not going to defend any bad chain drive designs. I'm sure that for every bad example there are thousands of good ones. It all comes down to the design engineer and the process that should be followed to end up with a reliable solution. When that person and process fails, the product soon follows.
But yes, VW got us on this one and most of us paid the price to fix it.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
VR6: chain issues over 140k
V8 4.2L in S4 and S5, chain issues over 100k

VAG doesn't know how to make a chain drive, my MKIV R32 is still rattle free as far as chains go: even at 140k.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Remember the chain on the BHW was an afterthought for the US market to make the engine smoother for the picky US crowd.

They used components from other engines and that caused much of the issue since it was not designed from the start with this.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Remember the chain on the BHW was an afterthought for the US market to make the engine smoother for the picky US crowd.

They used components from other engines and that caused much of the issue since it was not designed from the start with this.

I don't think it was an afterthought for the US market. The Audi 2.0L BLB double overhead cam TDI engine of the same era in Europe is having exactly the same problems as the BHW.

BLB engine pictures.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...7-2-0-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-failure.html

Audi driver magazine UK talks about the Audi issue but blames the hex shaft for the failure instead of the chain.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/oil-pump-failure-passat-tdi.htm

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I'm sure there may be good and bad designs. I just thought everyone would get a kick out of seeing what was in the new V6 TDI.