Loud squeal from left front wheel

bbfarmer

TDI
2015 GSW
Hi folks, 2015 GSW DSG with 70,000 miles. I'm getting a loud squealing sound from the left front wheel when I initially take it out of Park, which usually lasts for just a few hundred feet before going away. Only happens after Park - if I just put the car in neutral and engage/ disengage the parking brake, it doesn't happen. Car is still under warranty and I could take it in for warranty repair, but the dealer is not very close and if at all possible I would like to hold off for a few weeks until my needs/schedule better fit.

Any idea what would be causing this, and if I should still be driving it? Does Park in a DSG lock something up at the wheels instead of at the transmission, as an automatic does? When I jacked up the car and turned the front wheel by hand I didn't feel or hear anything out of the ordinary. Many thanks

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Does the sound go away only with the parking brake or if you glide the brake pedal and a firm press it goes away?

It's not uncommon to have slightly squeaky brakes each morning. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also DSG just has pawl lock like any other auto transmission, nothing at the wheels or on the axles.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Does the sound go away only with the parking brake or if you glide the brake pedal and a firm press it goes away?

It's not uncommon to have slightly squeaky brakes each morning. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also DSG just has pawl lock like any other auto transmission, nothing at the wheels or on the axles.
The light braking squeak I can attest is a rather common thing. Mine do it when first starting to drive on really light brake application. To be honest, its not just first drive. If I am at work and go to leave for lunch it will do it again. Can't say why, but the brakes work, so I don't complain about it lol. A break squeak is just after all, a high speed vibration.

bbfarmer

TDI
2015 GSW
Thanks for your replies guys. This is definitely not a light braking squeak, it's a full-on loud squealing that started about 15k into my ownership of the car. I mean, head-turning squealing. Also I just realized it goes away sooner if I turn the wheel sharply to the right.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
does the sound start if the car is stationary or does it have to be rolling?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
does the sound start if the car is stationary or does it have to be rolling?
I'm wondering the same thing ^^^^^

My wife mentioned a squealing noise from that area the other day in our MK7 GSW. I couldn't reproduce after a full day of driving it so I'm at a loss. Car was stationary on ours and it was a little chilly. We have about 67k on the clock and the car has been solid since day one and 80 miles on it, which was like day 700 after it was in VW purgatory. :D

bbfarmer

TDI
2015 GSW
It happens when the car starts rolling. New info: I found out it goes away if I tap the brakes lightly, or if I swerve to the right

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
It happens when the car starts rolling. New info: I found out it goes away if I tap the brakes lightly, or if I swerve to the right
check Your steering Link bolts i actually had 2 work there way loose just enough to where i would hear a thump thump noise.
over bumps in the road problem went away after tightening them up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tie rod connection on the LCA?

bbfarmer

TDI
2015 GSW
Update: issue was a faulty brake caliper, which caused brake pad to wear down to metal. Got new brakes and rotors under warranty